Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Torn between Roth IRA and HSA

6,121 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by lockett93
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Struggling with this decision. I am tossing up whether to max my HSA at ~$8,300/yr or continue to max out the Roth IRAs at ~$14,000/yr. We have maxed out our Roths every year for the past 10 years. The pivot to an HSA instead was mostly to pull back the amount we were spending and free up the $5,700 for spending/fun and take the foot off the gas so to speak.
RightWingConspirator
AG
We max out both. If you can, max out both. Because I'm over 50 now, I believe we can do $15,000 for the Roth contributions this year. Passing 50 unlocks a lot of savings benefits as we can now do $30,500 to the 401k and almost $76,500 when you factor company contributions.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Can't max both, getting the 401k match and then maxing our roth is 12.3% of our income (employer puts 10% into 401k on top of that) so we are contributing 22.3% of gross income every year. Shifting from Roth to HSA would reduce our % contribution from 12.3% to 9.3% which seems quite low
gigemhilo
AG
I would max HSA. Contributions are deductible and you can fully distribute tax free (as long as you are "reimbursing" medical expenses). It would be more of a hassle to distribute from the HSA, but the advantages are worth it IMO.
Dr T and the Women
AG
HSA has best tax treatment.. if used for health basically never taxed.

If you have to choose I would go that way... then save health receipts and take the money many years from now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txaggie_08
AG
HSA also reduces FICA taxes, whereas IRA/401k does not.
txaggie_08
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Can't max both, getting the 401k match and then maxing our roth is 12.3% of our income (employer puts 10% into 401k on top of that) so we are contributing 22.3% of gross income every year. Shifting from Roth to HSA would reduce our % contribution from 12.3% to 9.3% which seems quite low

I assume when you say you can't, you mean you don't want to designate that percentage of income to retirement? You can absolutely max out all of them if you want.

I'm planning to max out all three of 401k, IRA (to backdoor) and HSA this year, and it makes up a little less than 15% of my income. My employer matches 10% in 401k and also contributes to HSA.

My wife is currently planning on putting 12% of her salary in her 401k and employer contributes 6%.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Single income, can't contribute much more than what we are already doing
txaggie_08
AG
Gotchya.

It seems like yall are contributing to IRAs for both you and your wife, correct - to get to $14k? Couldn't you max out your HSA and then max out either yours or hers IRA (or contribute some percentage that equals to maxing out one IRA).
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think you're doing great.

I agree with the above poster to max HSA first and then start on the Roth IRA with whatever is left over up to whatever point you are comfortable with.

The other benefit to an HSA is that after 65, you can take penalty-free taxable withdrawals for non-medical expenses, essentially acting like a traditional IRA/401k. Assuming you'll invest your HSA balance, there's a lot upside to all of the flexibility and tax benefits of the HSA.
htxag09
AG
We max HSA.

We also don't use it, but we do save any large receipts for eligible things. For example we had our first kid 3 years ago and about to have our second.

We'll save those receipts into retirement to make it easier to withdraw. Or if something happens and we need to withdraw before then.
TXTransplant
I'd max out the HSA because of the tax benefits. You don't have to max out the Roth, so maybe consider doing a partial contribution to keep your % somewhere between 9 and 12?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks all for the input.
Baby Billy
AG
Roth IRA's first. After that if you cant afford to max out the HSA just do what you can.

HSA if used properly basically serves as another tax deferred retirement account with the option for tax free distributions for medical expenses.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about not getting the deduction today. Every retiree I work with wishes they had more Roth dollars.
permabull
AG
txaggie_08 said:

This...

assuming you are under the FICA tax cap, HSA is by and large the most broken savings vehicle. The order of operations for people under the FICA cap is 401k up to the employer match, then HSA. After you max both those the choice between Roth IRA, Roth 401k or pre-tax 401k becomes a bit more complicated but the first two steps are simple (assuming you are under the FICA tax cap)
Baby Billy
AG
permabull said:

txaggie_08 said:

This...

assuming you are under the FICA tax cap, HSA is by and large the most broken savings vehicle. The order of operations for people under the FICA cap is 401k up to the employer match, then HSA. After you max both those the choice between Roth IRA, Roth 401k or pre-tax 401k becomes a bit more complicated but the first two steps are simple (assuming you are under the FICA tax cap)

Maybe so if you're trying to do everything by the book for the remainder of your life. Someone also has to turn around and invest the tax savings every year that are received by doing HSA over Roth. If they aren't disciplined to enough to do that then the math doesn't work.

If someone takes their $2k of tax savings and dumps it into their checking account or goes on a cruise then you may as well have just done the Roth
permabull
AG
I agree in principal but the tax savings are seen in your paycheck, so if you say "I need $7k a month in my paycheck so I can put X to my HSA and hit that" then you will automatically be hitting that value. If you need 7k a month and put whatever is left over into a Roth, the number would be less than X since it paid income and FICA taxes.

Even if you are healthy as a clam in retirement you will have HSA eligible expenses down the line. Medicare Part A is free but part B and D are not and those premiums are taken out of your social security check. You can reimburse yourself tax free for the premiums you pay for Medicare part B and D.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Baby Billy said:

Roth IRA's first. After that if you cant afford to max out the HSA just do what you can.

HSA if used properly basically serves as another tax deferred retirement account with the option for tax free distributions for medical expenses.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about not getting the deduction today. Every retiree I work with wishes they had more Roth dollars.

Your last statement is kind of a false comparison. Every retiree you work with has not had HSA as an option for their entire career as much of us have. Looks like they were first introduced in 2003?
Baby Billy
AG
Roth IRA's weren't a thing until 1998.

I love HSA's and think they're a great tool. I'm just of the opinion that a Roth IRA should be prioritized first. Tax free growth and tax free distributions without restriction is very powerful. Get as much into Roth accounts as you can and thank yourself later.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Baby Billy said:

I love HSA's and think they're a great tool. I'm just of the opinion that a Roth IRA should be prioritized first. Tax free growth and tax free distributions without restriction is very powerful. Get as much into Roth accounts as you can and thank yourself later.

Good to know re: 1998. What about Roth in 401k?
Baby Billy
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Baby Billy said:

Good to know re: 1998. What about Roth in 401k?
Much later. Maybe 2005-2010. That's just when they were introduced. Most employers offer it now but didn't 10 years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
HSA are triple-tax advantaged. It should be prioritized over Roth, however the best answer is to max both. I would look at lowering expenses to make that possible.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I fat-fingered my math, we are at 16% of gross in contributions with the 401k free match and a max Roth IRA. Single income, can't do a whole lot more than that. Our savings rate outside of retirement is healthy also, just don't want to tie everything up into tax-deferred vehicles.
stonksock
Brian Earl Spilner said:

HSA are triple-tax advantaged. It should be prioritized over Roth, however the best answer is to max both. I would look at lowering expenses to make that possible.
quadruple tax advantage if you contribute from payroll and avoid fica tax
wcb
AG
Didn't realize 401k catch up started at 50. I'm there this year. If my birthday is in September can I do the full $7500 this year?
EliteZags
AG
max the HSA then invest however much you can in Roth, then put your emergency fund in Roth in VMFXX or whatever money market to earn ~5% tax free, then incase of emergency can withdraw the contributions penalty-free, but ideally won't be needed and you've taken advantage of 2024 contribution limit while still able to
shovel pass
AG
wcb said:

Didn't realize 401k catch up started at 50. I'm there this year. If my birthday is in September can I do the full $7500 this year?
Yes, you can begin making catch up contributions during the calendar year you will turn 50.
AgCPA95
AG
shovel pass said:

wcb said:

Yes, you can begin making catch up contributions during the calendar year you will turn 50.

And make sure you set the catch up contribution correctly with your 401k plan administrator as for mine I had to do a separate catch up percentage to get the extra $7,500 in 2023. That is likely SOP but caught me off guard. You don't just bump your regular percentage up you have been doing prior to the year you turn 50.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Actually did the math and after the first paycheck of the year and the increase in the standard deduction it's not too big of a difference to swing maxing out both the Roth and the HSA so that's what we are doing.
El Chupacabra
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sometimes I'm pretty smart...but for some reason HSAs confuse me.

How are HSAs triple advantaged?
1. Tax free going in
2. Tax free coming out for medical
3. Profit?

I have an HSA through work, family plan, I've just been putting in a couple hundred bucks a month. Looks like I should have been putting in $8000/year...that'll change soon.

My wife will start an HSA this coming September. Can she put in $8300 to hers and I also put in $8300 to mine? Or is it $8300 total between the 2?
Petrino1
El Chupacabra said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sometimes I'm pretty smart...but for some reason HSAs confuse me.

How are HSAs triple advantaged?
1. Tax free going in
2. Tax free coming out for medical
3. Profit?

I have an HSA through work, family plan, I've just been putting in a couple hundred bucks a month. Looks like I should have been putting in $8000/year...that'll change soon.

My wife will start an HSA this coming September. Can she put in $8300 to hers and I also put in $8300 to mine? Or is it $8300 total between the 2?
Any investment growth within the HSA is also tax free.
EliteZags
AG
max HSA and as much of Roth as possible, then for all medical expenses throughout the year reimburse through HSA but put those funds directly into Roth

that way your medical expenses are paid with untaxed income, and those funds keep their tax free growth advantage

but once Roth is maxed stop reimbursing to let the HSA grow tax free
Texaspainter
AG
interesting reading
Mustang1
AG
You can't double up. That's the family limit of 8300
EliteZags
AG
desperately wish I was still eligible to contribute to HSA (employer only offers top tier PPO with zero premium, wasted on me with no health issues)
so much that in April/May YOLO'd half my previous HSA into tech/semi's/AI and gained about 2 years worth of contributions since
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.