Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Torn between Roth IRA and HSA

6,126 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by lockett93
Grown Pear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My personal preference for "retirement" savings/investing. As you see I prioritize the HSA over IRA due to the extra immediate tax savings.

1. Company Sponsored Plan (401k/TSP): Contribute the % your organization will match. E.g. 5% each paycheck and then receive the match. My contributions go towards the Roth option while company match is in Traditional.

2. Health Savings Account (HSA): Equal contributions each pay period to max out the limit each year. I treat this as a retirement account and have it invested for that purpose. I have no doubt I'll have higher health costs/needs in the future… I also need to be better about organizing and saving receipts I currently pay with cash.

3. Roth IRA: I make the full contribution in January each year. Don't want to worry about dollar cost averaging and at this amount, lump sum just makes it easier. If needed too, I would contribute each month. Backdoor Roth if need to as all IRA is in Roth (no traditional).

4. CVLIP: I almost didn't list this b/c it might ignite too many comments. But cash value life insurance makes sense for me and we'll just leave it at that.

5. Combination: Extra funds then go Cash, Taxable Brokerage Account, and/or Company-Sponsored Plan. Each serves its own purpose and are important.

**To answer OP's dilemma, if it were "me"… I would simply keep maxing out my HSA and use the remaining amount to partially fund my Roth IRA.
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with the HSA first crowds.

However, this strategy is only optimized if you don't spend the HSA and invest the HSA. I have mine at Fidelity. As poster above stated, keep receipts for the medical expenses for use in retirement years. If you do that, this makes the HSA like a combination IRA and Roth IRA.

Contributions go in pretax, then grows tax free and comes out tax free (for medical). You can incur the expense in 2024 and "reimburse" yourself in 2050 if you want.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.