Business & Investing
Sponsored by

One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds

32,308 Views | 201 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by redassfella2024
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXTransplant said:

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew it would make me ill.

I'll gross closer to $200k this year than ever before (but won't quite make it). Single, one kid. I do max out my 401k and HSA, so net is significantly less.

No car payment and my mortgage (not including taxes and insurance) is $1500/month.

And I'm sitting here worried about my utility bill doubling and my property taxes going up. And I felt slightly guilty for paying $350 to upgrade us to business class on our 5 hour overnight flight.

Geez…I'm doing it wrong.

Like others, I'm wondering where the $ for real estate is coming from. My 'hood has always been on the high end…lots of $500-$700k homes with 2-3 kids and SAHMs. But those houses are now $900-$1M. I'm a PhD engineer and do well for my education/years of experience. Lots of neighbors work in the same industry as I do. It's hard for me to imagine someone in engineering/finance who isn't a VP is making much more than that. But maybe I'm way off.

There was a 2400 sq ft just up from me that recently went under contract in two days for $700k+

Agreed. I have no idea where people get their money. I'm a successful professional. I do pretty well. My spouse works. We have access to a significant inheritance. We don't live crazy - our extravagances are ordering a prime movie or grubhubbing after a long day once a week or so.

We live in a modest (nicer than I grew up) house in an mid upper middle class neighborhood. One car payment.

I see people rolling in brand new suburbans and living in $700k houses, and it appears that only the husband works. Trips to Disney, etc.

I took a little jaunt this weekend and the wealth in some of these cities is beyond belief. People dropping cash like crazy in Neimans, eating out everywhere. And right down the road there are tent cities.

Something weird is going on.

zagman
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

TXTransplant said:

I'll gross closer to $200k this year than ever before (but won't quite make it). Single, one kid. I do max out my 401k and HSA, so net is significantly less.

No car payment and my mortgage (not including taxes and insurance) is $1500/month.

And I'm sitting here worried about my utility bill doubling and my property taxes going up. And I felt slightly guilty for paying $350 to upgrade us to business class on our 5 hour overnight flight.

Geez…I'm doing it wrong.

Like others, I'm wondering where the $ for real estate is coming from. My 'hood has always been on the high end…lots of $500-$700k homes with 2-3 kids and SAHMs. But those houses are now $900-$1M. I'm a PhD engineer and do well for my education/years of experience. Lots of neighbors work in the same industry as I do. It's hard for me to imagine someone in engineering/finance who isn't a VP is making much more than that. But maybe I'm way off.

There was a 2400 sq ft just up from me that recently went under contract in two days for $700k+

Agreed. I have no idea where people get their money. I'm a successful professional. I do pretty well. My spouse works. We have access to a significant inheritance. We don't live crazy - our extravagances are ordering a prime movie or grubhubbing after a long day once a week or so.

We live in a modest (nicer than I grew up) house in an mid upper middle class neighborhood. One car payment.

I see people rolling in brand new suburbans and living in $700k houses, and it appears that only the husband works. Trips to Disney, etc.

I took a little jaunt this weekend and the wealth in some of these cities is beyond belief. People dropping cash like crazy in Neimans, eating out everywhere. And right down the road there are tent cities.

It's actually obvious, but most refuse to believe that economics always wins.

Starting with 2010, we've been in the most parabolic bull run in history. Cratering debt rates to historical lows coupled with endless quantitative easing and exploding direct payments of fiscal stimulus direct into pockets.

It isn't just real estate that's in trouble. It's everything. We live in a public and corporate debt bubble, a credit bubble, an equities bubble (really deflated but showing signs it wants to expand one last time before popping), a crypto bubble (same), etc.

2008 happened when one bubble popped. The next one will be all bubbles popping simultaneously. Economics always wins.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
YouBet
AG
zagman said:

CM Trump Voter said:

TXTransplant said:

Geez…I'm doing it wrong.

Starting with 2010, we've been in the most parabolic bull run in history. Cratering debt rates to historical lows coupled with endless quantitative easing and exploding direct payments of fiscal stimulus direct into pockets.

It isn't just real estate that's in trouble. It's everything. We live in a public and corporate debt bubble, a credit bubble, an equities bubble (really deflated but showing signs it wants to expand one last time before popping), a crypto bubble (same), etc.

2008 happened when one bubble popped. The next one will be all bubbles popping simultaneously. Economics always wins.

Who knows what to believe anymore but I tend to agree with you. If you listen to the financial firms, they will say the fundamentals are fine and that we don't have the weaknesses we had in 2008. And that inflation will drop back down by 4Q.

I just find them hard to believe at this point. Anytime I listen to an update from mine it sounds more like they are begging us to believe them. It won't surprise me to hear them say we talked ourselves into recession. Not that there can't be some truth to that but there is so much wrong right now I don't even know where to start.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
zagman said:

CM Trump Voter said:

TXTransplant said:

Geez…I'm doing it wrong.

The politically correct term is "reversion to the mean". It always happens. Always.
EclipseAg
AG
I always assumed that a lot of people who splurged on big purchases or trips were folks who earned significant regular bonuses.

They live off their regular income and then when the bonus hits, they buy the boat or take the trip. They know it's coming and they plan for it.

My bonuses were always like Clark Griswold's so I just enjoyed the jelly.

Pahdz
This is a fair assumption and correct for a lot of cases
TXTransplant
EclipseAg said:

I always assumed that a lot of people who splurged on big purchases or trips were folks who earned significant regular bonuses.

They live off their regular income and then when the bonus hits, they buy the boat or take the trip. They know it's coming and they plan for it.

My bonuses were always like Clark Griswold's so I just enjoyed the jelly.

At my company/in my industry, this is probably true. Except for the fact that of my closest coworkers, I am the one who splurges the most on travel! The rest of them tend to be very frugal and take simple vacations. One guy (now retired) would go camping on a regular basis to save money. Some of this might be skewed because Covid has really put a damper on travel, but even before Covid, I was the coworker who took the big vacations.
EvenPar
AG
ac04 said:

a wise man once taught me that mo money often leads to mo problems.

Biggie Smalls
superunknown
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

This thread is quite interesting to me, I'm quite sure every single one of you make far more than I do, and I currently feel both a) incredibly blessed and fortunate to make what I do and b) I'm a couple of mistakes away from basically losing everything.

I don't live paycheck to paycheck but I do live pretty modestly (drive a 2015 car that's paid off) and my lender didn't even tell me how much I was approved for because I gave him my price range and I was adamant about not buying outside what I'd budgeted for. I rarely take any typical vacations,I generally don't splurge at all. I do have debt and I make very modest 401k contributions but I know there's so way I will ever retire and I just hope I can be healthy-ish long enough to work up until the point I drop dead.

I'm in middle management and I have a team of around 30 people under me making roughly $40-50k and over the last couple of years (especially since my department went remote)so many of my direct reports have side gigs or blogs or etsy whatevers or you name it side hustle just trying to get a little ahead. Sometimes i think of picking up uber/lyft again myself.

There's something weird about all of this. Feels like the middle class (especially on the low end) is bleeding out and at some point it's just going to be people/families making that $250k+ and "just making ends meet" and a vast underground of gig type/hospitality workers serving those $250k+ types. It even feels weird to me to consider myself "upper" even though I'm in the top 20% of my metro area. That vast underground is far larger and more widespread than anyone dicking around on texags or reddit or Facebook etc realize. Feels like there's going to be a huge dramatic shift somehow, within 5-10 years and it's got nothing to do with trump/biden/politics as we know it. Someone upthread mentioned how economics always wins...and I tend to agree. Capitalism requires losers and winners but I don't think we as a global economy have come to terms with the losers part yet.
Proposition Joe
The gap between the upper middle class and the truly rich has widened significantly.

The spending habits of the upper middle class hasn't changed much - it's still very much "buy the next new [anything] because that's what we've always done and all my peers have them". I mean hell, you've got someone in this own thread framing 2 family vacations to Cancun per year as the "American Dream". That's excess, not the American Dream. But the two have become conflated.

But while economics always wins, we also kick the can down the road to the next generation... So yes, it will come crashing down -- but could be 5 months, could be 5 years. And in that time there very well could be another significant world event that shifts everything as well.

The freight train I think many don't see coming is we're close to the tipping point with wages and tech advancement where employing the service industry -- a sector that makes up a very large part of our economy -- simply doesn't make sense anymore. If a McDonald's employee wants $15/hour to work, then it makes far more sense to replace them with automation and downsize the # of employees needed per store. Still a few years off from a serious threat, but it's coming.

Ditto food service delivery (doordash, ubereats, etc...). Whether it's automated drivers, drones, or whatever -- those gig jobs will be replaced with technology. Then what? Are all of those people going to get jobs at Amazon -- a company that is constantly working on it's own automation-to-replace-employees?

It will be interesting times.
Pahdz
Construction is always hiring
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The freight train I think many don't see coming is we're close to the tipping point with wages and tech advancement where employing the service industry -- a sector that makes up a very large part of our economy -- simply doesn't make sense anymore. If a McDonald's employee wants $15/hour to work, then it makes far more sense to replace them with automation and downsize the # of employees needed per store. Still a few years off from a serious threat, but it's coming.

Ditto food service delivery (doordash, ubereats, etc...). Whether it's automated drivers, drones, or whatever -- those gig jobs will be replaced with technology. Then what? Are all of those people going to get jobs at Amazon -- a company that is constantly working on it's own automation-to-replace-employees?
I do understand the logic of your position, and it sort of creates a pucker-factor about the future state of the economy. However, I think history has some positive perspective worth considering. There's been a significant trend of unskilled labor that has been replaced by automation of the past century and a half. Just start by looking at the labor that used to be required to farm a single acre. As that industry matured - labor moved to industrial centers and factories. As factories started to use more automation, people moved into other service industries. As computer technology matured, people were displaced there, too, but new opportunities were also created.

I think there's reason to believe that the economy will continue to adapt and generate new opportunities for people. Maybe it won't be easy, but I do think there will be a prevailing need for both new skilled and unskilled labor moving forward that we can't define today.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Your post reminded me of this video about limiting technology for the betterment of society:

Proposition Joe
BenTheGoodAg said:

Proposition Joe said:

I do understand the logic of your position, and it sort of creates a pucker-factor about the future state of the economy. However, I think history has some positive perspective worth considering. There's been a significant trend of unskilled labor that has been replaced by automation of the past century and a half. Just start by looking at the labor that used to be required to farm a single acre. As that industry matured - labor moved to industrial centers and factories. As factories started to use more automation, people moved into other service industries. As computer technology matured, people were displaced there, too, but new opportunities were also created.

I think there's reason to believe that the economy will continue to adapt and generate new opportunities for people. Maybe it won't be easy, but I do think there will be a prevailing need for both new skilled and unskilled labor moving forward that we can't define today.

Good point, but much of it will depend on what kind of wages these lower-skilled employees "demand".

* Available job for lower-skilled workers
* McDonalds employee getting $15 an hour
* Cheap/affordable products for consumers

Pick 2.

Because you can't have all 3 unless the corporation is taking a hit on profits. And if the corporation starts taking a hit on profits, they are going to go full steam ahead into automation/robotics.

As you've said there's historical precedence where things were disrupted but it didn't create economy-shattering scenarios, but those historical events were never set to impact such a large sector of our economy (service industry).

Take your amazon drivers and your doordash drivers and your fast food workers out of the job market. What relatively-unskilled industry are we envisioning they are going to shift to? And is it going to pay the $15/hour they apparently require to live?

I just think when you see fast food workers demanding/getting $15/hour at the same time you see people starting to complain about food prices... it's just an untenable scenario.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Lots of the universal income zealots want this to continue. It's absolutely sci-fi and scares the crap out of me but the concept makes sense.

If everything becomes automated, price of goods and "need" for labor SHOULD drop dramatically.

Many are calling it the 2nd renaissance, but I see it being far more dystopian because you can't just leave poor and uneducated people in **** covered streets and pre-historic looking villages.

Interesting times ahead and goes to show that people need to learn a damn skill.

Back to the thread, I think a big part of this is the run-up in wages in the last 2-3 years.

A position like mine did NOT pay what it does today. Granted, I feel like that's because the demand for the skillset has increased considerably and I have a ton of experience in the field but still…

Definitely feel something weird going on. It's getting bad here in the US, think what the rest of the world is going to look like in a year.
evestor1
Proposition Joe said:

I just think when you see fast food workers demanding/getting $15/hour at the same time you see people starting to complain about food prices... it's just an untenable scenario.
LOL - I cannot imagine the price McDonalds would have to charge to drive away customers. The food is recycled cardboard and bird feathers....people line up around the corner to pay 9.59 for a meal.

They could have angus beef burger and handmade bun for 3.50 if they cooked it at home.
Ranger222
AG
This is where our education system is broken and really going to hurt the next two generations of Americans. What should be the next $15/hour job with automation coming in? Programing and maintenance of said automation. Those systems won't be able to run 24/7 without either breaking down or requiring programing updates, or just general preventative maintenance overall. Yes that is going to require less workers overall, but that is something we can start planning for today with the students who are currently in high school. You would be amazed at how many students today are still computer illiterate. The students I work with at Ohio State are all 3.4 GPA and above students - future professional school students - and they are all terrified of excel. (n=12). I have to sit down with them and show them how functions work in excel. Is this not 2022? Granted these are all future doctors, dentists and biology PhD students and maybe that is why they have chosen the career field they have, but still I expect that level of student to have some basic computer skills in 2022. Some have come from great high schools in Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus and none of them really know how do to do anything other than Word and maybe a bit of Powerpoint. Its crazy to me. These students should be coming out of high school today with way more computer skills. Sorry for the derail.

I also am seeing a huge inconsistency in the types of new homes available and what seemingly people are able to afford. I'm currently in the home market, looking at a potential new build, and almost all of these communities are starting out at $400K for a 1500 sq ft, 2/2 that many would consider starter homes. In the city its 500/600K for same size, some fancier amenities. I know what I make and I can afford, and I just don't know how they are finding enough people to fill these new builds. Dual incomes of over/close to $100K? I was recently approved of single income over $100K and really don't want to drop $400K on a new build starter. Many of the homes up for sale are $350K above. Feel like there is a huge gap between $250K and under homes and $350K+ homes in this area that I would think the middle class American would want in this area, but there are none available. I just don't get how his segment isn't getting filled. You either choose to live in subpar housing/bad neighborhood/bad school district, or you pay the premium. Almost like a dividing line or a sorting out occurring.
YouBet
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Lots of the universal income zealots want this to continue. It's absolutely sci-fi and scares the crap out of me but the concept makes sense.

If everything becomes automated, price of goods and "need" for labor SHOULD drop dramatically.

Many are calling it the 2nd renaissance, but I see it being far more dystopian because you can't just leave poor and uneducated people in **** covered streets and pre-historic looking villages.

Interesting times ahead and goes to show that people need to learn a damn skill.

Back to the thread, I think a big part of this is the run-up in wages in the last 2-3 years.

A position like mine did NOT pay what it does today. Granted, I feel like that's because the demand for the skillset has increased considerably and I have a ton of experience in the field but still…

Definitely feel something weird going on. It's getting bad here in the US, think what the rest of the world is going to look like in a year.
Yeah, we've discussed this before. In one camp, you have the folks that think we will just adjust to robotics and automation and new career fields will organically be created to absorb all of the extra workers that have been made obsolete.

The other camp is the one I'm in (admittedly the pessimistic camp) where UBI becomes a major push so that all the people who don't work; don't have to and get paid for it. The economics of this don't work but that won't stop many people from pushing it. It has failed or been neutral in almost every pilot study run on it. And there are all kinds of wild cards and unintended consequences to it as well.

You will have unions fight like hell to stop it unless they get massive payoffs for their folks to just live off the govt teat for $100k per year. There are and will be massive gaps in skills needed and everyone will have to get somehow upskilled to do all of this "new" work that doesn't yet exist. There have already been thought papers put out to tax robots as humans so the government doesn't lose their money stream from income taxes. Crazy times ahead.

On the run-up in wages, it's been incredible to behold. I now know Managers making what VP's made before I left corporate a year and a half ago. All of that is due to the worker shortage and I don't see how this is sustainable.
Proposition Joe
ChoppinDs40 said:

Yup. I'm not well educated on all the ins and outs of UBI, but just looking at how society is today I don't see it being a good thing for people not to have jobs and more time on their hands to "do whatever".
Proposition Joe
evestor1 said:

Proposition Joe said:

LOL - I cannot imagine the price McDonalds would have to charge to drive away customers. The food is recycled cardboard and bird feathers....people line up around the corner to pay 9.59 for a meal.

They could have angus beef burger and handmade bun for 3.50 if they cooked it at home.

I disagree. McDonalds has the customer base it does because of it's price. They'd still have plenty of demand at a higher price, but I think many people wholly underestimate the reliance on it as a "cheap" meal for many.

Yes they could cook cheaper at home. We could all cook cheaper at home. As a society from top to bottom we don't though.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Literally saw a commercial on CNBC advertising to restaurants a cooking robot.

Meetflippy.com
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Towns03
AG

Sea Speed
AG
Jet Black said:

Saw an article today, this may not be exact, but the gist was 50% of Americans with kids can no longer afford food for their family with out the child tax credit, which ended a few months ago.

Id like to see that. Think you could find it again?
Topher17
AG
Living a similar reality here in Texas. My wife and I do quite well, but unless we want to burden ourselves with a 450k+ mortgage there is almost nothing available. I would have to commute over an hour each way to afford a starter home at this point and that isn't something I'm willing to do. Rentals are crazy as well with the jump in property taxes many landlords have been seeing.

As for the $15/hr low skill workers at places like McDonalds or whatever, there will be a need for fewer with modern tech, but we also have a shrinking workforce as boomers age out. The fight for workers right now is insane and while that may cool if the economy overall cools, in the long run I expect the labor market to remain quite competitive and advantageous to those willing to job hop.
Jet Black
Sea Speed said:

Jet Black said:

Saw an article today, this may not be exact, but the gist was 50% of Americans with kids can no longer afford food for their family with out the child tax credit, which ended a few months ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/03/48-percent-of-families-cant-afford-enough-food-without-child-tax-credit.html
Carlo4
AG
Jet Black said:

Sea Speed said:

Jet Black said:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/03/48-percent-of-families-cant-afford-enough-food-without-child-tax-credit.html

1 in 2 adults with kids skipped meals so their kids eat.
texagbeliever
Carlo4 said:

Jet Black said:

Sea Speed said:

Jet Black said:

If this were true we wouldn't have a poor obesity rate > 70%. I bet this was a survey done to get an answer that would show how important the child tax credit was.
htxag09
AG
texagbeliever said:

Carlo4 said:

Jet Black said:

Sea Speed said:

Jet Black said:

If this were true we wouldn't have a poor obesity rate > 70%. I bet this was a survey done to get an answer that would show how important the child tax credit was.

Yeah. I just have a really hard time believing this. I mean 80%+ of Americans can afford a $1000 smart phone but 50% can't afford to feed their kids?
topher06
For probably 50% of Americans, the phone comes before kids food. Besides, most of our public schools now feed kids for all meals too
Sea Speed
AG
texagbeliever said:

Carlo4 said:

Jet Black said:

Sea Speed said:

Jet Black said:

Yea I took this article as a piece to shill for more govt handouts. Complete with a quote for more handouts from someone at the center who did the poll. No agenda there whatsoever. They definitely didn't ask questions like "did your kids ever a meal at a particular time and you did not?" Followed by "did you buy groceries with any of the child tax credit money?" And then made it sound like a mom who skipped lunch who also got the credit is too poor to feed her family. My wife skips meals all the time because she is busy as hell and in certain some of that stupid child tax credit we got was spent on groceries. We arent poor, my wife is just busy and sometimes skips lunch while also preparing lunch for our kids. I dont trust that survey.
LMCane
Pahdz said:

Not this month!
LMCane
Topher17 said:

Living a similar reality here in Texas. My wife and I do quite well, but unless we want to burden ourselves with a 450k+ mortgage there is almost nothing available. I would have to commute over an hour each way to afford a starter home at this point and that isn't something I'm willing to do. Rentals are crazy as well with the jump in property taxes many landlords have been seeing.

As for the $15/hr low skill workers at places like McDonalds or whatever, there will be a need for fewer with modern tech, but we also have a shrinking workforce as boomers age out. The fight for workers right now is insane and while that may cool if the economy overall cools, in the long run I expect the labor market to remain quite competitive and advantageous to those willing to job hop.
now analyze the situation you describe and include a million illegal aliens in your equation,

with the vast majority of them unskilled blue collar labor.
Pahdz
LMCane said:

Pahdz said:

Not this month!

In states where cheap undocumented labor isnt just a stroll across the desert away, they are.
Old McDonald
it's always absurd to me to see people rationalize living paycheck to paycheck on high-end household incomes, just feels like these people are so out of touch. 250k a year is several times the median household income in just about any city you can name. if you struggle at that point, there's no way to sugar coat it: you are bad with money and lack financial discipline.
BubbleBoyB
AG
I wish my wife would read this thread...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.