Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Millennial Renters Unite

9,822 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Petrino1
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
utah, get me two said:

3 years ago I was in college, how could I afford a house? Lmao. You're delusional dude, 3-4 houses lol you have 350k+ in cash for a down payment on all those houses. Are you listening to yourself

Why not go in on a house with some buddies now or rent rooms on your own
utah, get me two
You must be rolling in cash to be buying houses every 2-3 years
utah, get me two
I was thinking about renting out but it's not something I want to do. In terms of going in with buddies I personally don't mix business with friends
coolerguy12
AG
I'm not. But if I had roommates paying my mortgage and bills for me I would have been. Like I said, getting married slowed down my financial climb.

You claimed I got where I am because we had 2 incomes. I can assure you the $40-$60K my wife made over 2.5 years of working is not the reason we are where we are.
coolerguy12
AG
utah, get me two said:

I was thinking about renting out but it's not something I want to do. In terms of going in with buddies I personally don't mix business with friends

Lol. Now the truth comes out. You have a path to home ownership, just not willing to do what it takes to get there.
utah, get me two
Ok
texAZtea
AG
Just closed on a home friday in Bryan. We started looking for houses in November.

Up until mid march we lost every single offer to cash above asking, this was in the 200-250 range. Some of the homes were dumps in a nice neighborhood, some of them were dumps in a meh neighborhood.

I'm not passing judgement but if someone is saying they want to own a home but can't in this market, I'm inclined to believe them first and look for why they're wrong second.
Proposition Joe
coolerguy12 said:

utah, get me two said:

coolerguy12 said:

utah, get me two said:

Yep, sucks op. Lotta people I know lucked out with their homes and interest rates. I'm more savvy than the average millennial when it comes to finances and have stacked away a good amount but even the cheap houses I can't afford. That being said I don't see Texas home prices going down with all the millionaire out of staters moving in

Yeah you're more savvy than everyone else, all the people that did it right just got lucky. Keep telling yourself that champ. Maybe one day you will catch your big lucky break that the rest of us got by pure chance.
keep thinking you're a great investor and smarter than everyone else. I'm sure you just so magically timed the market perfectly to buy a house like the millions across the country. Maybe one day you'll realize that you're not as smart as you think you are

I'm a terrible investor. Very risk adverse and I hate messing with it. I did however get married early, waited to have kids, saved my wife's salary for a down payment, bought a starter home, used that equity plus continued saving of wife's income to upgrade 4 years later, and now rolling that home equity into our dream home on 6 acres 5 years later. So if buying a house 9 years ago makes me lucky I guess I'll take it. To me it's just common sense to own a house in most situations.

But you'll go to your grave knowing you never did lines of coke off of two busty blonde strippers while hurtling 80mph down Joe Pool Lake in your Sea-Doo.

Shame.
jamey
AG
utah, get me two said:

I think its been that way in California for some time, if you wanted one of their million dollar 1500 Sq ft homes on a 40 year mortgage.

It's not that bad in Tx but we're closing in
QBCade
AG
Unfortunately my friend, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and buy here. Live in the Bay for 22yrs and the only good time to buy was 2009-2012. Bought our house on 2011 and it was so bad that even my FIL, who is a realtor, was questioning my wisdom. At the time, my perspective was that if I had to stay in the house until my kids graduated HS, I would be ok with that. IMO, that's kinda how you have to look at your primary. Buy in a great school district, that way if you're trapped there, at least the kids are good school wise. Stay 10yrs, it will definitely be above where u bought.
GaryClare
AG
When I was a younger man and really really smart, i was offering my thoughts to a guy who was a few dollars short of being a billionaire. When he had enough of my pontification and "wisdom", he stopped eating his food, tilted his head and asked, "if you're so smart, how come you're not rich?"

My life lesson, and perhaps the life lesson to be learned by some on this board, is to listen to the guys who have made money and try to emulate them as opposed to justifying your lack of success with excuses and telling the guys trying to help you that they just got lucky.

One thing is for certain - if you don't get the above life principle figured out you are the one who is going to have to get lucky to be able to make a little money in this life.
Proposition Joe
It's sound advice to listen to those who have made money, but it's also sound advice to know that if you're being given "sure-fire money making advice" by anyone other than a close friend or a mentor, you can't really be certain their motivations.

Smart people who know how to become rich typically don't go around telling strangers how to become rich. A large chunk of them are either braggarts or possibly want to keep up an appearance that they are "self-made".

Don't get me wrong - you get a good mentor and their advice can be invaluable. But when it comes to finances there are a lot of people who can't help run their mouth and as the old Jackson Browne lyrics go sometimes they conveniently "forget about the losses and exaggerate the wins."
mts6175
AG
utah, get me two said:

Cash out refinance, roll to the next one....
jamey
AG
QBCade said:

At the time, my perspective was that if I had to stay in the house until my kids graduated HS, I would be ok with that. IMO, that's kinda how you have to look at your primary. Buy in a great school district, that way if you're trapped there, at least the kids are good school wise. Stay 10yrs, it will definitely be above where u bought.

That's how I looked at it sorta.

I wanted to be central metroplex to some degree so job options weren't limited during economic cycles
GE
AG
You could always move to a more affordable location.
ATM9000
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

I didn't say it was the only way.
But show me another investment a young person can get 4x leverage on with no credentials other than a job and their good name

So many people hold a lot of misconceptions about home ownership and what it represents and don't really understand the actual risks associated with it.

This is up there with it… a personal home is not an investment.
AgsMyDude
AG
ATM9000 said:

I didn't say it was the only way.
But show me another investment a young person can get 4x leverage on with no credentials other than a job and their good name

So many people hold a lot of misconceptions about home ownership and what it represents and don't really understand the actual risks associated with it.

This is up there with it… a personal home is not an investment.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investment.asp#:~:text=An%20investment%20is%20an%20asset,the%20future%20to%20create%20wealth.

Quote:

What Is an Investment?
An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. Appreciation refers to an increase in the value of an asset over time. When an individual purchases a good as an investment, the intent is not to consume the good but rather to use it in the future to create wealth.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/investment

Quote:

the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value

Sounds like an investment to me of the property you purchase is going to appreciate and allow you to sell it in the future more than you bought it for.

ATM9000
AG
You should probably read that Investopedia entry you quoted to pwn me a little closer.
AgsMyDude
AG
I read it just fine or I wouldn't have posted it.

Consider yourself "pwn'd" I guess.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
See if this helps:
Get in a big hurry and buy the most expensive house/condo you can get a loan on that you think you deserve and will impress your friends, in a starter home neighborhood/complex, pay for all the upgrades because it's only an extra $10/mo or whatever, then in 2 years sell at a loss because it's not actually 30 minutes from everywhere and hoa/mud/condo fees are astronomical. (Not an investment)

Research your market, rent for a while, figure out a couple neighborhoods that make sense for your situation, figure out what houses there sell for (fully updated and all original), get good at estimating what updates and repairs cost, then start making offers on houses that the fully updated value is more than it would cost you to buy and update. Eventually catch one and learn the magic of instant equity. Couple years down the road have 20% saved up for your next down payment or cash out refi and put some of your equity to work buying your next primary residence, then rent out the first house for an amount that cash flows (in addition to the principal part of your monthly payment that your renter is now paying for you). That's an investment. It's not rocket surgery, but it's not as easy as listening to a lennar sales pitch and "snagging the last lot available in this section" then picking your granite at the design center either.

Edit: or don't. If everybody buys a house i won't be able to find renters and the strategy fails
AggieMainland
I'm a renter in my 30s and feel like a complete failure for not owning a home at this point. I was always pro renting because it was the right decision for me (single, no desire to live in suburbs, no desire for the extra space vs 1 bedroom apartment, etc)...but missing out on this huge price increase in the DFW area hurts. At this point, I'm just going to rent until something changes (not with the market but with my personal situation). I don't even want a house right now. I just hate that I'll be even more behind in 3-4 years when I finally decide I need a house. Life is hard.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AggieMainland said:

I'm a renter in my 30s and feel like a complete failure for not owning a home at this point.

Dang dude i wouldn't be that hard on yourself, there's always another opportunity
RangerRick9211
AG
utah, get me two said:

I went the equities route, but my best friend does SFR rentals. We graduated '10 from A&M. He has 10 rentals now and followed the very popular BRRR approach. So that's about a home every 2/3 years. You only need one down payment and then it's a game of equity creation, appraisals and refinancing.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG

AggieMainland said:

I'm a renter in my 30s and feel like a complete failure for not owning a home at this point.

Dang dude i wouldn't be that hard on yourself, there's always another opportunity

This is how I feel as well, but not quite as extreme. Feels like there is no opportunity to catch up for the crowd of renters.
AggiEE
Ghost of Bizbee said:

AggieMainland said:

This is how I feel as well, but not quite as extreme. Feels like there is no opportunity to catch up for the crowd of renters.

I've been living below my means through renting and putting the rest to work in the market.

If anything, the person that overspends on housing would need to catch up. The cost associated with buying more house than you need is significant, even if the appreciation of the house has been significant as well.

It's a trade off, there is no one size fits all solution. Housing should be more about lifestyle choice than seen as an investment
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Something that nobody's mentioned, that is completely different from person to person, is if you'd really plow your extra pennies into the market if you were renting a cheap apartment, or would you blow it on cars, travel or whatever? In my early 20s if i hadn't been dumping all my money into a fixer upper i 100% would have had a lot of fun blowing it, but the house forced me to save (spend it on the house) . Maybe millennials are more responsible than i was
Petrino1

Something that nobody's mentioned, that is completely different from person to person, is if you'd really plow your extra pennies into the market if you were renting a cheap apartment, or would you blow it on cars, travel or whatever? In my early 20s if i hadn't been dumping all my money into a fixer upper i 100% would have had a lot of fun blowing it, but the house forced me to save (spend it on the house) . Maybe millennials are more responsible than i was
I see this argument a lot, and its probably true for most people. People generally are bad/reckless with their money. I know I used to blow money in my 20's. I got serious about saving/investing right around when I was 27 or so. Ive been able to build close to a million dollar portfolio in my mid 30's by renting cheap, and saving/investing a high percentage of my income.

In my case, I think Im wealthier by not owning a home, but who knows.
Petrino1
AggieMainland said:

I'm a renter in my 30s and feel like a complete failure for not owning a home at this point. I was always pro renting because it was the right decision for me (single, no desire to live in suburbs, no desire for the extra space vs 1 bedroom apartment, etc)...but missing out on this huge price increase in the DFW area hurts. At this point, I'm just going to rent until something changes (not with the market but with my personal situation). I don't even want a house right now. I just hate that I'll be even more behind in 3-4 years when I finally decide I need a house. Life is hard.
Dont be so hard on yourself. We all could say this about ourselves by not investing in Apple or Tesla early on. Focus on what you can control. Im a similar age to you and Im probably a life long renter unless I get married or theres another housing crash. Im doing pretty well for myself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.