Business & Investing
Sponsored by

I bonds

48,847 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Ag CPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two $10k bonds in different names, don't know the answer to your second question.
Ernest Tucker
AG
If I buy an Ibond today, it says the "Purchase Date" says we may have changed your purchase date to the next available business day. 5/2/2022.

Does this mean I make it in for April rates listed or do I get pushed to the May rates?
tailgatetimer10
AG
yup. the 27th was the last day
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yesterday was. I bought mine right around 5 pm and it was issued today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's way early, but any reason to think the November rate will fall significantly? Wouldn't think it can fall too far below the current 7.12%.
Jabin
There's a way to increase the maximum annual contribution to $25,000 vs. $10,000:

• First $10K you know about.
  • Set up a simple, revocable trust and register it using your own SS #. You'll be able to buy another $10K through that trust.
  • Overpay taxes by $5K and elect to have your refund used to purchase another $5K iBond.

Thanks are always appreciated. Money would be appreciated even more.
john2002ag
I tried buying last week for myself, my wife and 2 kids. I set up the other 3 under my account but with my wife or kid as the beneficiary.

I get an email this morning saying the three other purchases for my wife and kids are too much and they will be refunded. However, if I look at my account the funds show as being purchased.

Do you have to set up different personal accounts for each person?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
john2002ag said:

I tried buying last week for myself, my wife and 2 kids. I set up the other 3 under my account but with my wife or kid as the beneficiary.

I get an email this morning saying the three other purchases for my wife and kids are too much and they will be refunded. However, if I look at my account the funds show as being purchased.

You can set up Minor Linked Account for your kids. You need to click on ManageDirect (in the top ribbon) and then on the page that takes you to, click on "Establish a Minor Linked Account". You will have to do that for each child. This is what I did for my 2 kids and it worked fine. Access to these accounts for the kids will always be through your account.
I think your wife will have to set up her own account, at least from what I've found googling the subject this morning.
YouBet
AG
john2002ag said:

You and wife have to be different accounts. Can't speak to kids.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Can both spouses buy $10k for themselves, the other spouse and each child, or is it capped at $10k per recipient/year?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Can both spouses buy $10k for themselves, the other spouse and each child, or is it capped at $10k per recipient/year?
My understanding is that the $10K is based upon SSN or Tax ID#.

So you can buy $10K under your SSN, your spouse can buy $10K under their SSN, and then either of you can buy $10K for each of your children under their own SSN's. But the $10K is capped per each SSN.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Thanks. This seems to be corroborated by other sources as well. It looks like the way to maximize investment after personal and gift limits is the trust route, business organization purchase route (and maybe the overpaying your taxes-refund route).
LMCane
my dad's financial investment advisor claimed he doesn't like I-Bonds because he can get a better rate of return from a CD cascade.

to me that sounds like BS in this environment
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Complete bs.
RockOn
Your dad's FA doesn't want to lose assets that he charges a fee on.
RockOn
Ag CPA
AG
here is an article from CNBC which does a pretty good job summarizing some of the questions that have come up on this thread:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/i-bonds-to-deliver-a-record-9point62percent-interest-for-the-next-six-months.html
TamuKid
AG
This is a very good link for understanding the interest rate and what principal value will be (based on issue date of your I-Bonds).

http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home10000.html

Also helpful is understanding that your current value in Treasury Direct is less the last 3 months of interest (for I-Bonds purchased within the past 5 years). So if it looks less than what you'd expect, that's why.

For example, $10k issued 11-01-2021 will show a Current Value of $10,176 in May 2022. But really, it is $10,356.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Makes sense, it's just showing the value if you were to sell today. Kinda helpful actually.
Pendragon12
AG
RockOn said:

I feel this. I actually just checked and I have some November 2018 bonds earning 10% right now. Bonkers. They're my favorite investment.
BTHOtrolls
AG
When I bought I-Bonds via my SSN, I noticed that there was also a category to buy through a legal entity. I'm going to asks my accountant, if I can buy another $10K through a single member LLC, and will report back here.

That would mean $35K a year in I-bond purchase paying 9.6%: $10K myself, $10K wife, $5K tax refund, and $10K purchased by an LLC.
AggieMainland
The answer is going to be yes.
Jabin
You might be able to increase it even more. Create a separate LLC for you and another for your wife and create trusts for each of you as well. That would be $30,000 in contributions apiece, plus the $5k refund, for a total of $65K per year.

I haven't tried that so don't know if it will work. Consider running that scenario by your accountant and let us know what he/she says.
YouBet
AG
What if your single member LLC does not have its own EIN? In other words, I have my own LLC but I just file my taxes on my personal Schedule C.
YouBet
AG
YouBet said:

What if your single member LLC does not have its own EIN? In other words, I have my own LLC but I just file my taxes on my personal Schedule C.
To answer my own question, yes I can do this. However, it looks like the funding of the I bond under your LLC or whatever other entity it is needs to be linked to a separate bank account than the one you used to fund your personal I bond.

https://thefinancebuff.com/buy-i-bonds-business-sole-proprietor-llc.html
solishu
AG
FYI -- you might technically be able to set up an iBonds account for each of your children and deposit 10,000 per year into it, but if there is ever an audit where it's found that you are still treating it like *your* money and not your kids' money, you could be liable for penalties.
Ag CPA
AG
I'm not a tax CPA but that does not sound right, seems like you would just apply the kiddie tax rules like any other investment income a minor gets.
TamuKid
AG
Right, but in theory any UGMA/UTMA money must be spent for the benefit of the minor; until they reach 18 and then the money is theirs.

It effectively is no longer your money. It's your kid's money; and they have full right to it at age 18. And you can't (legally) just withdraw all the money before 18 and put back into your account. I doubt there are many cases of the government coming after that sort of activity... but that's not the point.
Post removed:
by user
BTHOtrolls
AG
AggieMainland said:

The answer is going to be yes.

Answer came back a yes as you advised, thanks!
frenchtoast
I started buying these ten years ago to hold part of my 12-month emergency savings. They're sure beating the pants off of my Ally interest rate these days.
suburban cowboy
AG
where is a link to buy one of these bad boys... I'm ready

any other crocodile licks that I can send to the moon for 9%?
MGS
treasurydirect.gov
SW AG80
AG
Never heard of these before. Thanks.
slop01
AG
You all are referring to Series I Savings Bonds correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.