Business & Investing
Sponsored by

I bonds

46,491 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by YouBet
A New Hope
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts?

I'm really considering buying my max of these every year. Seems like a pretty safe play and diversification tool.

Thanks in advance.
2wealfth Man
AG
only $10k per SSN per year so you should not count on them to be a pillar of your portfolio; otherwise go for it
jagvocate
AG
How long do you want to hold them and what do you forecast the real rate of inflation to be during that term? I worry that the Fed will inflate away our national obligations, meaning debt holders will get crushed in real terms along with benefit recipients (yes, you'll get the nominal returns promised, but they won't be worth near as much in purchasing power as expected at the outset ...)
bigtruckguy3500
I just bought 2 for 5k a piece, separated by a week. Pretty much guaranteed 8.5% for the next year.
YouBet
AG
I'm going to Redstone the hell out of this thread as I heard about these first almost a year ago.

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3201797/replies/59384122

Not sure about doing these every year. Will depend on interest rate going forward. Could tank back to nothing over time. Just have to watch that.

However, at its current rate it's a great option for short to medium term cash savings where you want to 100% protect principal and try to stay ahead of inflation.
GE
AG
Rate changes in 9 days if I'm reading the website right? Where do I find what it will be?
A New Hope
I believe the current estimate is 9.62%.

Since it's pegged to inflation, and I don't expect inflation to slow down for a few years, I think they're a nice place to park some cash. As long as you don't need the money within a year or 5 ideally.

Plus it's only $10k a year per account.

I actually purchased my 1st $10k yesterday.
Saltyag15
AG
I did a first time purchase for myself and for my wife yesterday. Even though you can't put a whole lot in it, it's hard to find a guaranteed return like that.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'm waiting for May 2 to jump in, but I'll be putting in the full $10k for both me and my wife. It will definitely be a rate greater than 9 percent.
GE
AG
Fedup said:

Since it's pegged to inflation, and I don't expect inflation to slow down for a few years, I think they're a nice place to park some cash. As long as you don't need the money within a year or 5 ideally.

Stupid question but if we expect 9% next week and the rate only adjusts each 6 months, is there a reason you bought yesterday for 7% instead of waiting a few days?

The 5 years is because you have to forfeit last 3 months interest if disposed earlier?
Casey TableTennis
AG
Keep in mind the rate on I bonds is a composite of fixed and variable components. Unfortunately, the fixed rate has been 0% and is expected to remain that way in the near term. The variable piece adjusts every 6 months and will float up and down with inflation.

Still should protect purchasing power in near-term, but these are not "locked in" like I hear of lot of folks asking/thinking.
dirkjones
AG
GE said:

Fedup said:

Since it's pegged to inflation, and I don't expect inflation to slow down for a few years, I think they're a nice place to park some cash. As long as you don't need the money
within a year or 5 ideally.

Stupid question but if we expect 9% next week and the rate only adjusts each 6 months, is there a reason you bought yesterday for 7% instead of waiting a few days?

The 5 years is because you have to forfeit last 3 months interest if disposed earlier?

Basically because if you buy this week you are getting known rates for 12 months. 7.12 for 6 months and then 9.64 for another 6 months. Both good rates. Eventually rates will go down but now you have a 12 month timeline versus a 6 month timeline if you wait until May to buy.
Post removed:
by user
GE
AG
Thanks, makes a lot of sense. You are front loading rate as much as possible under the assumption it goes down over time. And if it happens to go up you just hold longer
Aston 91
AG
I bought $10k each for me and my wife this weekend. Had never paid attention to them, but happened to hear my 70-something uncle-in-law (who is into day-trading, Amway and lots of get-rich-quick schemes) talking to my 70-something father-in-law about them. Normally I tune the uncle-in-law out when he starts with one of his "Have I got a deal for you..." speeches, but glad I paid attention to this one. Seems like a no-brainer if you've got a bit of cash sitting around doing nothing (like we did).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gonna buy some $6k or so once the new May rate kicks in.

I imagine it's gonna go even higher than the current rate, right?

Edit: Reading more closely I see I would lock in the new 9.6% rate for the subsequent six months (after the initial six months) if I buy right now. So it might actually be a safer bet to lock up these rates, since it might fall below 7.12% in November. Thoughts?
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's supposed to come in around 9.6%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok here's another weird question, say I buy $5k in April and another $5k in May, does it all get the rate I locked in for April or does the second $5k go in at the May rate?
Ag CPA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Edit: Reading more closely I see I would lock in the new 9.6% rate for the subsequent six months (after the initial six months) if I buy right now. So it might actually be a safer bet to lock up these rates, since it might fall below 7.12% in November. Thoughts?

That is the correct line of thought.
dirkjones
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok here's another weird question, say I buy $5k in April and another $5k in May, does it all get the rate I locked in for April or does the second $5k go in at the May rate?

In April. 7.12% for 6 months and then 9.64% for 6 months
I'm May 9.64% for 6 months and then what ever the rate adjusts to for another 6 months.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
K that's what I figured. Thanks. Might do that then.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dirkjones said:

GE said:

Fedup said:

Since it's pegged to inflation, and I don't expect inflation to slow down for a few years, I think they're a nice place to park some cash. As long as you don't need the money
within a year or 5 ideally.

Basically because if you buy this week you are getting known rates for 12 months. 7.12 for 6 months and then 9.64 for another 6 months. Both good rates. Eventually rates will go down but now you have a 12 month timeline versus a 6 month timeline if you wait until May to buy.

Not to mention of you'll get that nice 9.64 rate after 6 months of compounded interest added.
drred4
Is treasury direct the only day to buy them?
AggieFrog
AG
drred4 said:

Is treasury direct the only day to buy them?

Yes
Ronald_Ragin
AG
When you cash in I-bonds after the 12 month+ holding period, are you taxed at your federal income bracket for that year on the total gains? Also it looks like you don't get get the tax savings for qualified educational expenses if you are over the $98,200 ($154,800) AGI? Is that right?
Ag CPA
AG
You can take the interest expense annually on your tax return or elect to defer until you cash out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man, I'm feeling good about those bonds I just purchased. This market...
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I have a question here: If I buy one under my daughter's SSN (she's 9 years old), will we have to file a tax return for her for the interest accrued?
aggieman27
AG
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since you can elect to report the interest earned annually, or when you cash it, it may be best to report your child's interest on form 8814 when you file your taxes annually. The first $1,100 for each child is not taxable. By reporting it on this form annually, it will be under the $1,100 threshold. If you wait to report when you cash it, say in 5 years, you will have to report 5 years worth of interest at once, and anything over $1,100 will be taxed.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Thanks to this thread I got some for me and my wife. Appreciate the heads up
topher06
I also went ahead and bought a bit. Good diversification, even at only $10k a year (for a single person).
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Thanks everyone
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Fellas, quick questions for those who have purchased these --

Let's say a married couple purchases $20,000 in I-Bonds.

1. Is that one $20,000 bond in two names, or two $10,000 bonds with one name each?

2. Is there a POD/TOD (Pay on Death/Transfer on Death) or beneficiary provision in the bond agreement? Or, instead, if you bite the dust will the bond need to go into your estate for your executor to handle, rather than just passing directly upon presentation of a death certificate by the beneficiary?

Thanks.
BQ92
AG
I know many overpay income taxes on credit card to get a signup bonus (and other churning ) strategies. Is this a viable backdoor strategy to purchase additional I-bonds (paper) with refund?

Assumes taxpayer filed an extension

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.