Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Football Coach changing to White Collar Job... Building a wardrobe from scratch

8,536 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by irish pete ag06
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread was timely, and great info: https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3281859

But I wanted to ask specifically, if you were starting over in your closet. What would you do?

Money is a bit of a factor, I'm not being paid like a white collar yet (I'm finishing out my year teaching and coaching), so I'm not looking to spend multiple $Ks on this.

I've come to the conclusion that it would be good to have 8 white shirts and 6 to 8 pairs of pants, so I can have a week to get the others dry cleaned, but this may be a dumb idea. At least a couple of suits mixed into this too.

Anyways, all suggestions are welcome. I may have to try and get an appointment with the Bobby G guy from the other thread.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
What are you doing for a job?
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I would advise getting at least one nice shirt at a tailor or custom fitting place. Then if you want to watch for the sales at Men's Wearhouse, Macy's, JA Banks, etc., you know what measurements to look for and know what actually fits you best. You may need a little more or a little less in sleeve length or may need slim fit or regular, etc. When you try it on in the store you'll know if it feels right or not. If you haven't had a good tailor set you up with anything, you might not know what a good fit for you really feels like. Most of the people at Men's Wearhouse and the like won't do a great job at fitting you, instead opting to push you to getting what they have in stock.

If you are wearing a coat on the regular but want to start cheap, I'd get one that is black or grey and one that is brown or blue. I'd get one pair of black shoes and one pair to wear with brown clothes.
ORAggieFan
$30,000 Millionaire said:

This x 100. As well as location.
Duncan Idaho
ORAggieFan said:

Yeah...I honestly don't think I could name a job where having a collection of white shirts would be appropriate. Even when I had to wear a suit every day, I think I had 3 white shirts.
If you are thinking about buying 8 white shirts, it tells me that you don't have any sense of fashion and will end up buying clothes that look like someone that coaches high school thinks people wear at a white collar job.

Don't buy a whole wardrobe before you start the job. Build a capsule wardrobe that will meet the mark and then buy more as you see what is appropriate for the job, company and clients. I remember my first job out of school. I went out and bought a bunch of suits and then got put on a business casual client and those suits sat in my closet until I went to a wedding or a funeral.

You don't need to spend a **** ton on clothes to look good. Tailoring is more important than anything else.

Oh don't go cheap on shoes. Nothing stands out more than a cheap pair of shoes.

I do recommend pick up a copy of this. It is 10+years old but I still think it does a good job of laying out the basics (especially for $10)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6539862-nordstrom-guide-to-men-s-style

TXAGBQ76
AG
The book called "Dress for Success"
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Last time I wore a white shirt was with a dark suit at a funeral. All the white shirts I own are in their dry cleaning plastic.

I would honestly also try to avoid clothes that you need to dry clean
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The 1975 book?
swimmerbabe11
TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc are going to be your friends on this. great finds on a budget.

Depending on your build, lululemon actually has good stretchy slacks that will work if your job is a little more casual than what we are thinking.
Duncan Idaho

Last time I wore a white shirt was with a dark suit at a funeral. All the white shirts I own are in their dry cleaning plastic.

Especially shirts. Today's no-iron shirts are night and day from your father's "permanent press" shirts.
irish pete ag06
AG

Working for a financial advising company that is adding a property and casualty insurance division. I will be the insurance division.
swimmerbabe11
For the record, for those of you that dry clean often, the dry clean bags that you can do at home are actually pretty good. Use those and then dry clean for realsies only when you have spilled or have something that needs more special attention. I prefer Dry-El over any other brand.
irish pete ag06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

ORAggieFan said:

Yeah...I honestly don't think I could name a job where having a collection of white shirts would be appropriate. Even when I had to wear a suit every day, I think I had 3 white shirts.
If you are thinking about buying 8 white shirts, it tells me that you don't have any sense of fashion and will end up buying clothes that look like someone that coaches high school thinks people wear at a white collar job.

Don't buy a whole wardrobe before you start the job. Build a capsule wardrobe that will meet the mark and then buy more as you see what is appropriate for the job, company and clients. I remember my first job out of school. I went out and bought a bunch of suits and then got put on a business casual client and those suits sat in my closet until I went to a wedding or a funeral.

You don't need to spend a **** ton on clothes to look good. Tailoring is more important than anything else.

Oh don't go cheap on shoes. Nothing stands out more than a cheap pair of shoes.

I do recommend pick up a copy of this. It is 10+years old but I still think it does a good job of laying out the basics (especially for $10)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6539862-nordstrom-guide-to-men-s-style

This is exactly what I am.

And thanks for the reply, don't plan to cheap out on the shoes at all.
irish pete ag06
AG

This sounds ideal.

I've worn dri-fit stuff for a long time and I've noticed with the advent of Mizzen & Main, there's tons of performance material stuff out there. Seems like a great option and usually doesn't seem to need dry cleaning.
Duncan Idaho
swimmerbabe11 said:

TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc are going to be your friends on this. great finds on a budget.

Depending on your build, lululemon actually has good stretchy slacks that will work if your job is a little more casual than what we are thinking.

For the most part I agree that you can find some great deals at TJ Max, Nordstrom rack and off fifth BUT make sure you are finding the actual overruns/returns at these stores and not the crappy ones specifically made for these stores.

I haven't been in a few years but If you are in Dallas, the single best day for professional clothes shopping is new years day at the Dillard's in north Park Mall. All their marked down stuff is 50% off. You can get some suits at that time for $200. The nice thing is it is cheap enough that day that you can pick up some things that you wouldn't normally...like say maybe a red velvet sports coat that you wore to a holiday party and will probably never have a need to wear again or a seersucker suit that you bought just because we joined the SEC.
swimmerbabe11
That's a good call out. I should have mentioned that in my post.
Duncan Idaho
swimmerbabe11 said:

That's a good call out. I should have mentioned that in my post.

It is most noticable in their shoes. For example, The Cole haans at the discount stores are probably the same Cole haans at Nordstroms.

The easiest tell is feel the inside of the upper over the toes. The ones made for the actual Nordstrom store will more than not have a full leather lined upper. The ones made especially for Nordstrom rack/yj Maxx/off fifth will have a synthetic lined upper.

You may get lucky and find a pair of the real Nordstrom shoes at the Rack but you will never find a pair of the discount shoes at Nordstrom
chris1515
AG
I'd reach out to your manager or one of your coworkers and ask them. It varies so much based on the clientele you'll be meeting with IMO. I assume you're talking about a client facing role? That makes a big difference.

Are nice cowboy boots acceptable?

Will you be wearing a tie?

If I was starting from scratch, I'd have a mix of white dress shirts and some light blue ones (you will not go wrong with that combo). I usually visit the Brooks Brothers outlet.
khkman22
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

For the most part I agree that you can find some great deals at TJ Max, Nordstrom rack and off fifth BUT make sure you are finding the actual overruns/returns at these stores and not the crappy ones specifically made for these stores.

I haven't been in a few years but If you are in Dallas, the single best day for professional clothes shopping is new years day at the Dillard's in north Park Mall. All their marked down stuff is 50% off. You can get some suits at that time for $200. The nice thing is it is cheap enough that day that you can pick up some things that you wouldn't normally...like say maybe a red velvet sports coat that you wore to a holiday party and will probably never have a need to wear again or a seersucker suit that you bought just because we joined the SEC.
I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.
ORAggieFan
I'd definitely go no iron shirts in various patterns over all white. You're likely wearing slacks and dress shirt most days. I wouldn't go crazy on pants until figuring out how often they wear jeans. Get a pair of grey, blue and brown and you'll be good. Get a nice pair of tan shoes and matching belt.
Pinochet
Duncan Idaho said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Oddly specific. Clearly this was not a hypothetical.
irish pete ag06
AG
chris1515 said:

I'd reach out to your manager or one of your coworkers and ask them. It varies so much based on the clientele you'll be meeting with IMO. I assume you're talking about a client facing role? That makes a big difference.

Are nice cowboy boots acceptable?

Will you be wearing a tie?

If I was starting from scratch, I'd have a mix of white dress shirts and some light blue ones (you will not go wrong with that combo). I usually visit the Brooks Brothers outlet.
I have... I was recommended white and light blue shirts. Tie will be every now and then.
irish pete ag06
AG
ORAggieFan said:

I'd definitely go no iron shirts in various patterns over all white. You're likely wearing slacks and dress shirt most days. I wouldn't go crazy on pants until figuring out how often they wear jeans. Get a pair of grey, blue and brown and you'll be good. Get a nice pair of tan shoes and matching belt.
No iron sounds great. I hate ironing and I suck at it.
superunknown
AG
If you wind up with some cheap shirts that need ironing, hang them up as soon as they're out of the dryer and it'll be fine.
Ragoo
AG
CTShirts.com
Get all wrinkle free

I rotate through several chino khaki style pants and colorful dress shirts.
CC09LawAg
Longtime lurker and the late great Scimitar turned me on to CTshirts many years ago and I honestly don't think I've purchased from anywhere else since.
Ragoo
AG
Same

Ugh I miss that dude.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Ctshirts then keep an eye out for their sales. Non-iron are a must. Spread collar. Slim or extra slim depending on your build and weight. Button cuff.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
OasisMan
AG
https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/us/home

Ya I just got on to CT

I think I got 3 dress shirts for ~39 each,

Will be adding to my collection from there
Ragoo
AG
I've bought shirts, pants, and a sports coat from them. Actually bought two coats not know the correct size. Returning the second was a breeze too.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers, custom tailor or zip up the line to Brioni

2 button.

Midnight navy blazer.

Midnight navy suit and an additional one with a faint pattern in the weave if you can find.

Shoes. Always had good luck with these.

https://zelliitalia.com/

htxag09
AG
Back when I wore dress shirts every day CT was the only brand I bought. I wore bonobos chinos. Now it's more of blue jeans and a golf polo on the days I'm in the office.

CT actually has physical locations now. Know they have one in the houston galleria.
ac04

irish pete ag06
AG
Ragoo said:

CTShirts.com
Get all wrinkle free

I rotate through several chino khaki style pants and colorful dress shirts.
Boom. This seems like the ticket!
irish pete ag06
AG
NTXAg10 said:

Ctshirts then keep an eye out for their sales. Non-iron are a must. Spread collar. Slim or extra slim depending on your build and weight. Button cuff.
Mind expanding on the collar selection? I had no idea there were different ones... just googled and read a little bit.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.