Business & Investing
Sponsored by

whats your number ?

18,596 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BoDog
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I built my business, Speaker City, from the ground up and I can barely read!
Mike Hancho
Max, earmuffs
LMCane
ORAggieFan said:

Pretty much all stocks and in my 40s. But, there is no way I'll be happy with 3-4% returns. That is many years of less retirement.

Once you have enough, get a great financial advisor and let them be smart with it.
I met with a manager at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management in Maryland last friday.

still not sure it's worth turning over 10% of my AUM over a decade just so they can put me into 7% private realty funds.

that's over $110,000 of the portfolio over a decade.

are they going to outperform what I have done on my own up to this point by $110,000 over a decade?
LMCane
HECUBUS said:

Date, not a number. Passed the number, just waiting to get the last kid through High school. That date might move. I like my work, but feel we should travel before we're too old. How much money do you want to leave your kids in a world where starter homes are seven figures?

Salaries are 4X what they were in 1991, homes 10x.
I don't have kids so my goal is to pass with nearly 0 in the bank...
GenericAggie
AG
LMCane said:

ORAggieFan said:

Pretty much all stocks and in my 40s. But, there is no way I'll be happy with 3-4% returns. That is many years of less retirement.

Once you have enough, get a great financial advisor and let them be smart with it.
I met with a manager at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management in Maryland last friday.

still not sure it's worth turning over 10% of my AUM over a decade just so they can put me into 7% private realty funds.

are they going to outperform what I have done on my own up to this point by $110,000 over a decade?

This resonates with me. I can't figure out why I would move money to a wealth management firm. I've ask firms their philosophy on moving from from growth equities to other forms of revenue as we age, and I've yet to receive a strong answer.

7% REIT and then what is their cost to manage? 1%? So, it's not 7%. It's 15% (estimated) less than that and that doesn't include other fees from the fund.
WestHoustonAg79
BoDog said:

Im 47 and retired back in January. I am living off a decent chunk of change at 5% interest plus incoming producing commercial real estate. Just holding on a few more years to graduate my kids from private school then its smooth sailing. Their tuition along with BS health insurance is what kills me every month.

My smartest play was putting $250k in bitcoin when it was at $16k. I will cash out when it gets to $76k. I expect that to happen by mid October.

Hell ya brother. Love to hear that!
bagger05
AG
GenericAggie said:

LMCane said:

ORAggieFan said:

This resonates with me. I can't figure out why I would move money to a wealth management firm. I've ask firms their philosophy on moving from from growth equities to other forms of revenue as we age, and I've yet to receive a strong answer.

7% REIT and then what is their cost to manage? 1%? So, it's not 7%. It's 15% (estimated) less than that and that doesn't include other fees from the fund.

Two good reasons, I think.

1. If you're not going to do it yourself. Doesn't take much effort, but the difference between doing the basics and not can make up for the cost of fees.

2. If it's part of a bigger plan and your advisor is going to be part of the team doing tax, estate, and business exit planning. This isn't your random Merrill Lynch advisor.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I had an advisor with RJ for a few years but I fired them early last year. I never saw the value and I have done well since managing things myself. I think if you have a complicated estate it may be worth the investment, but mine is simple. Makes me so pissed I waste the money on next to nothing.
bagger05
AG
Not a waste. You gained some valuable experience. Learned it's not for you.

Would've been worse to run the experiment when you had a bunch more money in your account.
BoDog
AG
LMCane said:

HECUBUS said:

Date, not a number. Passed the number, just waiting to get the last kid through High school. That date might move. I like my work, but feel we should travel before we're too old. How much money do you want to leave your kids in a world where starter homes are seven figures?

Salaries are 4X what they were in 1991, homes 10x.
I don't have kids so my goal is to pass with nearly 0 in the bank...
You just might be my hero!
LMCane
Hoyt Ag said:

I had an advisor with RJ for a few years but I fired them early last year. I never saw the value and I have done well since managing things myself. I think if you have a complicated estate it may be worth the investment, but mine is simple. Makes me so pissed I waste the money on next to nothing.
this would be my hesitation-

I have no dependents, only debt is $32K on a car and no ex wife/spousal support/weddings/college to pay for

just my own life.

so why pay $100,000 minimum to have someone else do what I am doing?

the only reason is the tax harvesting and to put me into investments I can't get on my own (private equity, VC, Private realty)

even Merrill Lynch will not put any of their clients into PE, only into different funds that work in private realty.

so not sure with the increased risk, that the return is going to surpass their fees of AUM.
Hoyt Ag
AG
We are similar, I am single and no kids. I put mine in a 3 fund portfolio, brokerage in high yield divided stocks and just let it cook. I dont see the value for my situation and I have a lot more confidence I will reach my goal whereas before I felt like I would never retire.
AG N ASIA
AG
Number was 8-10M when I was in my forties. I am over $10 now liquid and additional in real estate that I view more as an expense than an investment. Plan to be between 12 and 13 when I retire at 62 in early 2026. I really enjoy my job and always planned to retire at 62 so no need to stop now.

For those asking how I did it. Lived below my means in house, car, etc... and fully utilized company benefits putting 20% plus company match in 401k. Keeping debt to minimum (just mortgage) and did not take excessive risks in stock market, but did keep over 95% of assets in stock equity.
Cyp0111
Awesome, congrats
BoDog
AG
AG N ASIA said:

Number was 8-10M when I was in my forties. I am over $10 now liquid and additional in real estate that I view more as an expense than an investment. Plan to be between 12 and 13 when I retire at 62 in early 2026. I really enjoy my job and always planned to retire at 62 so no need to stop now.

For those asking how I did it. Lived below my means in house, car, etc... and fully utilized company benefits putting 20% plus company match in 401k. Keeping debt to minimum (just mortgage) and did not take excessive risks in stock market, but did keep over 95% of assets in stock equity.
I am really impressed by this-especially being that you did it working for a company. That is not easy!
doback
You got to 10MM+ Mainly through 401k?
BoDog
AG
If username checks out, probably didnt pay income taxes either...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.