Business & Investing
Sponsored by

whats your number ?

18,762 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BoDog
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
everybody has a number whether its reasonable or not, for you to just quit and live your life, whats yours ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Today? $2.5M in investments. Enough to live off 4% and the growth keep up with inflation. Though, I still can't figure out the health insurance piece.
ORAggieFan
$8 mil. My goal is by 50.
cjo03
AG
bigger than it used to be. In my early 30's I thought I knew. In my early 40's our goals look different and I don't know. Less about wanting more, more about wanting to do more.
Cyp0111
$7.5MM, $5MM stocks/bonds, $2.5MM income producing real estate.
taba82
AG
$3.5M portfolio which we reached 2 months so I retired at 61... based on discussions with our financial planner, we have more than enough to maintain our current level of living and project to have over $2M to pass onto our children when both of us pass.

BenTheGoodAg... concerning health insurance, we are going on COBRA (cost was less than we expected) for 18 months. By then our adjust gross income will be so low we will qualify for subsidies on Obama Care. Our current COBRA insurance is offered on OC and its only ~$250 more per month (without subsidies). Our financial planner believes when we come off COBRA, we'll get the same level of insurance for less via OC.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
AgGrad99
AG
Be careful with Obamacare. You can purchase a policy, but it's hard to find providers you like, who actually take it.

This was an issue for an acquaintance of mine, who signed up. They said it was a giant waste of money.
taba82
AG
AgGrad99... thanks and I am aware as my daughter is on OC. The website has the feature where you can enter your providers and then only receive policies which they are a party.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
evestor1
41 trillion

/texags
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$50M
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Interesting. I'm sure it would be more for us, but I've got several young kids still in the house.

I've been saving with a plan to have the ability to retire when I'm 55, expecting to need closer to $5M with inflation. I still think healthcare will be the big question mark for me at that decision point. It's changed so rapidly in the last decade, and costs have ballooned. I've got no doubt that will continue to change, and it's hard to anticipate what that looks like in 5-30 years.

Also, I think for a lot of people, myself included, being able to retire early is more about having the ability to do what I want, which probably includes at least some form of income, but on my terms and not for the company I work for.
LatinAggie1997
AG

$8.5 million
AgGrad99
Agvet12
AG
3mil'ish investments, to live off roughly 50-60k year in dividends with some left in growth, another 1.5-2mil bonds

Leave the city and go to San Angelo or Llano / Burnett and call it day and fish every day
azul_rain
****ty movie, but brolin did his best
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
corndog04
AG
My number has changed quite a bit from early 30s too. Currently thinking $2-$3M in investments and paid off house, but I'll probably look to stop working for the man at some point before that and coast up while doing something less stressful.
YouBet
AG
I'm assuming the assumption for most on here is a "normal" retirement age in 60s?
Topher17
AG
2.75 million in investments.

I have run the numbers a bunch and think we are on pace to hit that somewhere in our early 40s (late 20's now) even with stock market gains much more in line with history than what we have seen in recent years. The main thing that may hold us back is the rise in housing costs. That is not to say we'll just quit when we hit that number, but that is the number I'm eying currently as my FU number.
Daytona22
AG
$10MM is my number. Got a long ways to go
Cyp0111
I think most people are talking about the number to walk away from the larger corporate rat race and have options.
YouBet
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I think most people are talking about the number to walk away from the larger corporate rat race and have options.

Gotcha. I'm 47 and hit that number and walked last year so currently trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I've done some consulting, but I frankly miss leading people so now considering getting back into the game. I just abhor the thought of doing that at F500 though.
Cyp0111
F500 is such a bad life experience. I get it. Leading, driving teams is a rush. Just the other stuff is like a bad high school experience.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
At 33 years old with 3 kids 5 and under, my number to walk away today is $10MM. That would be enough to cover our current standard of living plus a decent chunk of growth to principle on most years in order to offset inflation and increased medical costs in the later years.

My home built retirement calculator (which runs out the balance vs expected cost of living and the social security actuarial table) predicts that a $10MM balance takes the probability of my wife or I running out of money in our lifetimes to essentially 0
Ag13
AG
$10MM liquid net worth to walk away from working without any cares.
YouBet
AG
Topher17 said:

I have run the numbers a bunch and think we are on pace to hit that somewhere in our early 40s (late 20's now) even with stock market gains much more in line with history than what we have seen in recent years. The main thing that may hold us back is the rise in housing costs. That is not to say we'll just quit when we hit that number, but that is the number I'm eying currently as my FU number.

This number 15 years from now concerns me. I'm not sure that will be enough for you although it completely depends on how you plan on spending money, of course.
ORAggieFan
YouBet said:

Topher17 said:

This number 15 years from now concerns me. I'm not sure that will be enough for you although it completely depends on how you plan on spending money, of course.

I agree, although who knows on kids and lifestyle. Will be a little under $100k/year in todays dollars which is probably fine for many.
fightingfarmer09
$50 million.

$10million to buy the ranch operation I want. $30million to lose running it over the next 50 years.

$10 million to pay the taxes when I die.
Medaggie
Hate job = 3M

Its just a job = 5M

Love my Job = Cut down on hours starting at 10M which I should hit in the next 2-3 yrs. I currently love my job, currently working 1/2 time, and so I think I will just work 1/2 time shooting for 25M+ with increase spending/giving to church.

ac04
Tumble Weed
When I hit 3.5 M in the stock market, I am going fishing.

This Vanity Fair has nothing that interests me.

NoHo Hank
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

$50 million.

$10million to buy the ranch operation I want. $20million to lose running it over the next 50 years.

And the last 10m to pay a math instructor to teach you that only adds up to 40m. I volunteer!
thirdcoast
AG
800 cases of 5.56
400 cases of 9mm
DRE06
AG
Used to be $5. Now $6.5-7

Hoping to be there by 55.
fightingfarmer09
NoHo Hank said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

$50 million.

$10million to buy the ranch operation I want. $20million to lose running it over the next 50 years.

And the last 10m to pay a math instructor to teach you that only adds up to 40m. I volunteer!

Good catch. Typed that out twice on my phone and messed it up both times.
AggiEE
$1M does it, though I'm over it and still working. The government mandates may change that
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.