Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anyone here own vending machines?

5,970 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rlb28
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am working with a local golf course and am interested in a machine that would dispense sleeves,of balls, bags of tees, gloves, sunscreen ect.

I'd love to hear you experience owning them
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I own a few. Have been a bit of a pain in the ass with maintenance. Their cash cows tho!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Where did you purchase them and what kind of comp do you provide the places where you put them?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I buy them used off Craigslist for my employees at work so no comp plan. I've met with several guys that want to put their machines at our place and really none of them have offered to pay me. The benefit would be to my employees having them at work.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
How much money can you make from owning one monthly?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
If you sell a can of coke every 5 minutes and you profit $0.25 off each can.... 25 hrs x 60 minutes = 1,440 / 5 minutes = 288 x $0.24 = $72.00 x 365 days in a year = more than $26,000
bkag9824
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

If you sell a can of coke every 5 minutes and you profit $0.25 off each can.... 25 hrs x 60 minutes = 1,440 / 5 minutes = 288 x $0.24 = $72.00 x 365 days in a year = more than $26,000
Those numbers sound like me when I get excited about a business opportunity.
DallasAggie89
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Where did you purchase them and what kind of comp do you provide the places where you put them?

I have a few video games in my restaurants that I split revenue 50/50 with the machine owner.
n_touch
What type of restaurants do you own? Tried shooting you a PM, it would not let me.
DallasAggie89
AG
n_touch said:

What type of restaurants do you own? Tried shooting you a PM, it would not let me.
Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Fredd
AG

I am working with a local golf course and am interested in a machine that would dispense sleeves,of balls, bags of tees, gloves, sunscreen ect.

That's a pretty cool concept. Let me know how you do
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

n_touch said:

Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Which one (s)?
rlb28
AG
i did from - 1998-2000. as said before, they are cash cows.

i used to buy my machines and snacks from Sam's Club and you could finance and pay them out at about $80/month. I had snack and drink machines and usually paid them off within six months.

Not sure about the golf machine, but you always have the jackwagon who wants to tip your machine over or bust it up over losing 50 cents. I didn't have a lot of mechanical problems and I'm not mechanically inclined, so that was a plus.

Mine were located in the police station, car dealership, newspaper office, courthouse and a huge regional plant nursery that provided flowers and plants to Walmart. That thing was a beast. Coca-Cola had one side of the breakroom and I had the other with Sam's Club brand peach, grape, cream soda AND BIG RED. There were 15 microwaves and I ended up buying a cold food machine that dispensed burritos, sandwiches, etc.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

We ended up moving and I sold the machines with locations for about $50k.

I used to fill them up early before work, some of them at lunch and after work. The courthouse and plant nursery were twice a day.
rlb28
AG

quick question... why would the golf course not want to sell those things themselves?
PincheDriller
AG
rlb28 said:

quick question... why would the golf course not want to sell those things themselves?

Quick reason would be one less employee to manage BS crap. Plus reduces risk of things being stolen.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Correct, many munis have 0 staff on weekdays other than groundscrew, show up, pay a parking meter and play, no carts
Bocephus
AG
Depends on your audience. Women love diet soda but do not like certain (read fattening) snacks. You want to place them in high traffic areas.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
tsuag10
AG
Wrong thread
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have 9 machines at car dealerships and one at a courthouse. I pay someone to stock them for me and I handle maintenance calls. I dont have the time to do the restocking, but I still make a good side hustle. The key is high traffic areas. I had some in the mall and they did ok, but car dealerships (read as service area) are constant flow.
rlb28
AG
how do you assure your employee isn't stealing?
94chem
Quote:

Not sure about the golf machine, but you always have the jackwagon who wants to tip your machine over or bust it up over losing 50 cents. I didn't have a lot of mechanical problems and I'm not mechanically inclined, so that was a plus.
Mount a $70 doorbell cam inside if you have wifi. Or if you have multiple machines nearby, just get a 4 pack of wired cameras and a DVR. $40/machine. Or just put up a fake camera and a sign that says they're on camera.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
rlb28
AG
agree. i was doing mine back when that wasn't available. The guy I sold to told me he was going to have to hire someone to load all the machines, but that his wife would tag along to make sure the money wasn't stolen.
BigLeftMiss08
AG
Hoyt - Email sent
Ogre09
AG
rlb28 said:

how do you assure your employee isn't stealing?

You'd think something wouldn't add up correctly. If you purchase the restocking materials, you'll know what kind of throughput you're seeing and how much income you should be receiving.
southernskies
Do y'all pay the businesses that you keep the machines at?
rlb28
AG
I paid 10% at a car dealership. I think that money went straight into the GMs pocket. He kicked me out after 8 months because someone else came in and offered 20%. That machine sat in my garage for 4 months until I found somewhere else to put it. I think it went into the Walker County Courthouse if I'm not mistaken.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
southernskies said:

Do y'all pay the businesses that you keep the machines at?
I get calls occasionally from people wanting to put their machines here non have really offered to pay me.
swimmerbabe11
This sounds like a great idea for someone with kids to help them start their own business type of thing...where they manage the machines and there is their allowance.
AgsMyDude
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I have 9 machines at car dealerships and one at a courthouse. I pay someone to stock them for me and I handle maintenance calls. I dont have the time to do the restocking, but I still make a good side hustle. The key is high traffic areas. I had some in the mall and they did ok, but car dealerships (read as service area) are constant flow.

How much do you make collectively between the 9 each month? Where do you buy the machine and supplies?
AgEng06
AG
Resurrecting this thread, as I am interested in getting some machines going as a side hustle.

My main question to start is: do you guys go through all the hoops to set up an LLC, licenses in TX, etc? Or did you start by kind of an agreement with a location a work as a "cash business"? I know, ultimately doing this legitimately is the plan, but it seems like a lot to do up front in order to find out if it's something I can make work...
rlb28
AG
AgEng06 said:

Resurrecting this thread, as I am interested in getting some machines going as a side hustle.

My main question to start is: do you guys go through all the hoops to set up an LLC, licenses in TX, etc? Or did you start by kind of an agreement with a location a work as a "cash business"? I know, ultimately doing this legitimately is the plan, but it seems like a lot to do up front in order to find out if it's something I can make work...

Lol, back when i had them nobody knew nothing about my vending machines
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.