Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Crypto-trading thread

781,514 Views | 8577 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by ac04
p-townag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diggity said:

even if that's all true, it doesn't change the fact that there are typically good entry/exit points.

This run-up appears to be a great one. Now I haven't put my money where my mouth is....but I won't be shocked to see BTC down 20%+ over the next couple months.

It'll definitely have down turns. If you're good at day/frequent trading, go for it. 98% of people aren't able to predict the price action well enough to beat dollar cost averaging with Bitcoin, especially on frequent trading and with the tax consequences. But, if you can, go for it!

But if one has to ask a message board whether or not they should sell their Bitcoin, I think it's pretty likely that they'll wind up losing money.
ac04
LMCane said:

thinking about selling my BTC today with the price at $34K

anyone have an argument why it makes sense to hold?

interested in the argument for why it makes sense to sell. what are you selling it for? USD?
Fightin2010
AG
There is about to be a spot etf approved, the halving, plus the Gov has to print money for two proxy wars and you want to sell now for USD?
carl spacklers hat
p-townag said:

Diggity said:

even if that's all true, it doesn't change the fact that there are typically good entry/exit points.

This run-up appears to be a great one. Now I haven't put my money where my mouth is....but I won't be shocked to see BTC down 20%+ over the next couple months.

It'll definitely have down turns. If you're good at day/frequent trading, go for it. 98% of people aren't able to predict the price action well enough to beat dollar cost averaging with Bitcoin, especially on frequent trading and with the tax consequences. But, if you can, go for it!

But if one has to ask a message board whether or not they should sell their Bitcoin, I think it's pretty likely that they'll wind up losing money.
The interesting thing about BTC is that it makes strong trends, in both directions, but we have been in an upward trend now since, what, the beginning of the year? Given the environment, and BTC showing a history of strong run-ups, I wouldn't be surprised to see this run quite a bit higher. I think in the longer term, those entry points aren't going to be in the $15-20k range but in the $30-40k range. Which suggests a much higher peak from where we currently stand. Of course, it could drop to $25k overnight and get range-bound and this thread will die down again. Hah!
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Adverse Event
XpressAg09 said:

Ron.Paul.Happening.gif

ETA; I miss the Hype Beast

XpressAg09 said:

Ron.Paul.Happening.gif

ETA; I miss the Hype Beast

You rang?

Want to toot my horn that I've been continuously advocating for DCAing into bitcoin for at least 5 years now. This focus on mundanity has allowed my focus to be in growing my business and personal development instead of immensely shallow skills, like trading.

If this is your first bull run, it's exciting.

When I see a bull run, it's bittersweet. Bitcoin doesn't actually appreciate, everything it reflects depreciates against it. The pain and suffering required as sacrifice as bitcoin absorbs ALL stores of value will likely be immense.

Some people find it sad that bitcoin cannot have more than 21M whole bitcoin. As these assets de-dollarize, we can't print more bitcoin.

Gonna be fun mates, also scary.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
carl spacklers hat
LMCane said:

So, did you sell or hold?

Depending on the answer to the question above, my reply may be totally irrelevant to you now. My question to you is this: what about your investment thesis has changed? If you answer "nothing" then why would you consider selling the asset now? If your investment in the asset was purely speculative and you're looking to take profit on the run-up, or are finally back to break-even after the crypto winter, that makes sense. There are a lot of variables that I just don't know that would impact the answer to your question.

Here is my reason to continue holding: my investment in the asset is LONG term, like I'm on a 10-year horizon, so the up and down movement in the market doesn't impact me much. Disclaimer to add that my position is VERY small and my cost basis is minimal, so I don't have much capital at risk. I'm not trying to cover what for many could be an unrealized loss and I don't view it as a purely speculative play - I believe that BTC will continue to increase in adoption/understanding over the long term. I'm also not a crypto trader. The only asset I own in the space is BTC.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Diggity
AG
to be clear, that guy you're responding to is a troll who just ask questions about random crap he thinks will get a conversation going...then bails.

still an interesting discussion...just won't be from Barnes
Adverse Event

PREPARE the halving is coming haha.

Mainstream has flipped so hard on bitcoin it makes my head spin haha.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

carl spacklers hat
Wait, so LMCane is Barnes???
Diggity
AG
nobody knows for sure if it's Barnes or some other bored troll.

that's the running theory/joke though.
LMCane
carl spacklers hat said:

LMCane said:

So, did you sell or hold?

Depending on the answer to the question above, my reply may be totally irrelevant to you now. My question to you is this: what about your investment thesis has changed? If you answer "nothing" then why would you consider selling the asset now? If your investment in the asset was purely speculative and you're looking to take profit on the run-up, or are finally back to break-even after the crypto winter, that makes sense. There are a lot of variables that I just don't know that would impact the answer to your question.

Here is my reason to continue holding: my investment in the asset is LONG term, like I'm on a 10-year horizon, so the up and down movement in the market doesn't impact me much. Disclaimer to add that my position is VERY small and my cost basis is minimal, so I don't have much capital at risk. I'm not trying to cover what for many could be an unrealized loss and I don't view it as a purely speculative play - I believe that BTC will continue to increase in adoption/understanding over the long term. I'm also not a crypto trader. The only asset I own in the space is BTC.

I held based on my best friend saying he wish he had not sold out last year and the arguments here

the only counter-argument is that if I sell now I sell at a profit

the counter counter argument is that if I don't need the money right now, keep it for the next decade and hope it continues to climb back to $66K ATH
Adverse Event
How many more dollars have been printed from nothing since your investment? Are you sure you're above water selling back into usd?

carl spacklers hat
So what is your reason for owning BTC? I still haven't seen where you iterate why you hold the asset. I go back to an investment thesis. If you went through an analytical process to determine that BTC was an investment worth your capital, has anything changed that warrants considering selling now and if so, what has changed? Are those long-term or short-term impacts on the asset?

If you want GOOD advice, we need some parameters to determine your investing environment and what changes would move you to liquidating the position.
Adverse Event
Any cardano fbois still around?

XpressAg09
AG
Adverse Event said:

You rang?
LatinAggie1997
AG
Adverse Event said:

For the resident BTC maxi whom believes he knows it all, allow me to edify you- Ardana is NOT Cardano. It was a group "trying" to create a stablecoin on Cardano.

The Cardano ecosystem will blow minds this next peak. All those folks that denied BTC yet now watch TradFi and the MSM flip their positions on BTC will be in the same position regarding Cardano.

IMO,

Cardano has had zero down time in 5 years. No other ecosystem can claim that. There is a reason they took their approach and did not rush release or development. Governments and Fortune 500 companies aren't likely to use easily manipulated, easily coded, easily hacked ecosystems that regularly have down time. They will require security, functionality, interoperability, and adaptability. Cardano is the best option.

Sidechains/partner chains will flourish on Cardano. They will use the network's security whilst being able to design and implement their own use cases.
LatinAggie1997
AG
A Cardano ecosystem project I heavily invested in a while back. Some might remember my mention and some might have done some research. I really like the potential.

Adverse Event
LatinAggie1997 said:

Adverse Event said:

For the resident BTC maxi whom believes he knows it all, allow me to edify you- Ardana is NOT Cardano. It was a group "trying" to create a stablecoin on Cardano.

The Cardano ecosystem will blow minds this next peak. All those folks that denied BTC yet now watch TradFi and the MSM flip their positions on BTC will be in the same position regarding Cardano.

IMO,

Cardano has had zero down time in 5 years. No other ecosystem can claim that. There is a reason they took their approach and did not rush release or development. Governments and Fortune 500 companies aren't likely to use easily manipulated, easily coded, easily hacked ecosystems that regularly have down time. They will require security, functionality, interoperability, and adaptability. Cardano is the best option.

Sidechains/partner chains will flourish on Cardano. They will use the network's security whilst being able to design and implement their own use cases.

Cordano, some people just like to eat it.

TxAG#2011
Solana
Pepper Brooks
AG
https://imgur.io/KQFFXlJ?r

BTC says you're welcome
TxAG#2011
Gonna grab some Cardano and dump it above $1
LatinAggie1997
AG
For those that do not get daily updates.

https://cryptonews.com/news/nerayoff-follows-through-releases-2015-vitalik-buterin-recordings-detailing-ethereum-corruption-whats-going-on.htm

LatinAggie1997
AG
https://thecryptobasic.com/2023/11/16/ethereum-insider-accuses-vitalik-buterin-of-copying-innovative-ideas-from-cardano-charles-hoskinson/
LatinAggie1997
AG
Thoroughly enjoy when the contrarians finally admit one way is better than the other.

Cardano > Ethereum

LatinAggie1997
AG
https://u.today/cardano-makes-ai-progress-with-first-internet-generative-chatbot
Pepper Brooks
AG
Staff - Can you provide a breakdown showing the percentage of total posts(this thread) that are Latin shilling Cardano? I'm curious.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
exp
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

https://u.today/cardano-makes-ai-progress-with-first-internet-generative-chatbot

"Buzzword salad will not save you." -Satoshi Nakamoto
exp
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

Thoroughly enjoy when the contrarians finally admit one way is better than the other.

Cardano > Ethereum

You're trying to win the wrong race, fren.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Staff - Can you provide a breakdown showing the percentage of total posts(this thread) that are Latin shilling Cardano? I'm curious.

Shilling?
More like schadenfreude at those that have favored Ethereum.
LatinAggie1997
AG
exp said:

LatinAggie1997 said:

Cardano > Ethereum

You're trying to win the wrong race, fren.

Not racing. Understanding that Eth and Sol were flawed while others called Cardano a ghost chain and CH a snake oil salesman. Huge difference.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Go find the last post where anyone said something positive about ethereum. I'll wait.

You're literally debating no one.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

LatinAggie1997
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Go find the last post where anyone said something positive about ethereum. I'll wait.

You're literally debating no one.

Move on, or learn something. Show me the last post where anyone said anything positive about alt coins. Go ahead and buy when the bull cycle starts full steam.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Been there done that and paid the tax bill. I've left my ****coining days behind.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

AggieMainland
All this Cardano, ETH, SOL talk makes me happy to stick with BTC.
p-townag
AG
AggieMainland said:

All this Cardano, ETH, SOL talk makes me happy to stick with BTC.

Amen.
First Page Last Page
Page 235 of 246

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.