Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tips on buying small acreage land in Texas.

4,696 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Red Pear Realty
Southside AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to buy land in Texas, hill country, Fredericksburg, TX, preferably. Would like +10 acres, and be able to run electric, water and septic/sewage. Ideally would be a weekend getaway but also a place I could store my travel trailer. Tips on how to find the best place without over paying?
MAS444
AG
Maybe post on the real estate board. I'm interested as well.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
If only there were a group of people whose job it was to help buyers navigate this process, and as a bonus, these people were paid for their services by sellers.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
MAS444
AG
A specific recommended realtor in the area would probably be a more helpful response as I'm guessing the OP is familiar with the actual existence of such creatures.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
You may find something you're interested in from Ruple Properties, they sell farm & ranch land across the state and they have some available properties in the 10 acre range. They're owned by an Aggie and my wife, also an Aggie, works there as well.

If you have any questions feel free to DM me and I'll get you in contact with someone there.

https://www.southtexasranches.com/
RockOn
The Outdoors board is probably the most knowledgeable on this subject.
nonameag99
https://www.landsoftexas.com/Gillespie-County-TX/all-land/under-20-acres/
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
BrokeAssAggie
Fredericksburg and not overpaying does not compute.
Southside AG
AG
Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the links provided. I always like to do my own research before talking to a realtor.
Charlie Murphy
Try Arkansas
Ulrich
You've gotta get out to Llano or Junction (or farther) before land prices start making sense. Maybe if you can get in the local network and start hearing about places before they are formally on the market.
TheSheik
AG
Add Mason to that list - prices for 5-10 acres near town about half of FBurg prices
YouBet
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

This is me looking at prices the last time we were there.

Ribeye-Rare
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Regarding the price -- if you have to ask, you can't afford it!
Canyon99
Driving down Main St I tend to laugh at the people stopped in front of the brokerages looking a residential/land listings. I'm sure their first thought after seeing prices is "WTF?"
Comeby!
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

Regarding the price -- if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

Eh, the reason I can afford nice things is because I ask and I'm not a dumbass with money.
Gunny456
AG
I live on our ranch about 25 minutes from Fredericksburg.
Make sure you check out the oak wilt and transmission line and pipe line plans, future and existing.
I have bought and sold land in the area and can really recommend Marc Sherron... he is from there and works in Kerrville. He works for Kuper Sotheby's. Good guy.
southernboy1
AG
Win the Lotto
MAS444
AG
I say wait 2 years. It seems the second/vacation home/land market is crazy right now since covid. Properties are flying off the market everywhere...hill country, New Mexico, Colorado... I'm guessing there will be a lot of stuff back for sale in the next few years assuming the covid/quarantine thing continues to improve.
Foamcows
AG
noticing the same trend, any land that can be scooped up for sub 200k is extremely overpriced (20-30k an acre). However if you spend slightly more, say 400-600k you can easily grab 30 plus acres with a house.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Gunny45 said:

Make sure you check out ... transmission line and pipe line plans, future and existing.
Gunny,

Have you got a source you can recommend regarding future transmission line / pipe line projects?

I agree that I'd hate to purchase something and then have to turn around and deal with an eminent domain condemnation.

In theory, you're supposed to receive 'full damages' for the taking, but theory isn't practice in many cases, particularly when you're dealing with property that is purchased and/or held for its recreational value.
MemphisAg1
AG
Southside AG said:

I want to buy land in Texas, hill country, Fredericksburg, TX, preferably. Would like +10 acres, and be able to run electric, water and septic/sewage. Ideally would be a weekend getaway but also a place I could store my travel trailer. Tips on how to find the best place without over paying?
I recently bought land in East Texas after a year of looking. My recommendation would be to get in the loop with agents, firms, etc that publish their list of available properties regularly. Set up the profile you're looking for and get candidates "pushed" to you via email. Know you're deal breakers ahead of time (adjacent chicken house or cattle feed lot, nearby mobile homes, etc... whatever kills it for you). Cull the poor ones quickly and go visit the ones that might work. Don't be in a hurry. The process will refine your list of what you really want, and educate you on the market. That way you'll know when the right one comes along, and you can jump on it with high confidence it's the right fit. Line up your finances ahead of time so you can move quickly if needed.

I did this for both my home lot I purchased in 2013 and this recent purchase in April. Worked well both times, and no regrets afterwards.
cgh1999
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Southside AG said:

I recently bought land in East Texas after a year of looking. My recommendation would be to get in the loop with agents, firms, etc that publish their list of available properties regularly. Set up the profile you're looking for and get candidates "pushed" to you via email. Know you're deal breakers ahead of time (adjacent chicken house or cattle feed lot, nearby mobile homes, etc... whatever kills it for you). Cull the poor ones quickly and go visit the ones that might work. Don't be in a hurry. The process will refine your list of what you really want, and educate you on the market. That way you'll know when the right one comes along, and you can jump on it with high confidence it's the right fit. Line up your finances ahead of time so you can move quickly if needed.

I did this for both my home lot I purchased in 2013 and this recent purchase in April. Worked well both times, and no regrets afterwards.

Where in E Texas? I have a place in Tyler County. The same house and acreage in Fredericksburg would be 3-4x more expensive.
MemphisAg1
AG
cgh1999 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Southside AG said:

Where in E Texas? I have a place in Tyler County. The same house and acreage in Fredericksburg would be 3-4x more expensive.
Houston County, SW of Crockett. I wanted something closer to College Station, like Grimes County, but that would also be about 3X to 4X more. I drive an hour further instead, no big deal.
txrancher69
AG
Fredericksburg land prices are very high compared to other areas, but so is demand. That is whats driving this market and has for the last decade. You don't buy here as an investment, although prices seem to keep going up. You are buying into a community lifestyle that is in short supply elsewhere.There are no bargains compared to other areas, but there are bargains to be found compared to only properties in this market. Make sense?
Sully
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
This summer there was a mass exodus of people fleeing places like CA, WA, NY, etc, to rural places all over Texas. Like it or not, those people have found rural Texas and multiple out of staters we dealt with this summer thought it was cute how cheap land is here compared to where they were moving from. I'd say Austin especially, and surrounding areas (Hill Country) are going to get a lot more expensive over the next few years.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.