Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The Most You've Ever Lost

5,208 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgsnFly
AggieKeith15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So today with the market up big I was green across every position I hold with the exception of one, which of course was my biggest (bullish) position I hold currently. I haven't shorted on it yet, because I hate losing money, but it got me thinking -- what's the most you've ever lost on single stock before cutting bait? And is there a rule of thumb percentage wise that you use on deciding when to cut?

Right now I'm only out around $2k, which could be worst I know, but I guess Im a little surprised by how poorly the stock (TRGP) reacted to the rally today. For some reason I feel like I've lost $5k rather than just the $2k! Lol

PFG
AG
Does the S&P Index count?

If so.

A Lot.

Thanks bat in China.
Mas89
AG
Munder net net fund years ago. Rode it down to almost NOTHING. only the e.j. Broker who recommended it to me made any money. Lol.

Was a blessing in disguise as I started buying land outside Houston after that second market loss.
bmks270
AG
Can't lose if you never sell.

MemorialTXAg
bmks270 said:

Yeah, I never sold Enron.
deadbq03
AG
I had Lehman Brothers. Luckily only like $1K worth.
CraigSmithAllen
WestTexAg12
AG
Lost 4K between OBMP and AKAO.
Never buying Pharmaceutical and Bio stocks again...

Well, unless it's Gilead
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
JSKolache
AG
down a couple bills on ROKU now, but not worried about it.
IslandAg76
AG
World Com. Second largest communications company at the time. I never sold and it went to ZERO
Whoop Delecto
AG
jh0400
AG
I had RSUs vest at $70 that I sold at $46 once I was back in an open window. Loss on that was right at six figures.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Six figures in the last month
Carlo4
AG
Loss or not by technicality, but my dad sold $2,000 in Netflix shares back when it was around $7. He bought into fear at the time that they had liquidity issues. Years ago.

That would net him $285,000 plus today. He talks about it once in a blue moon.
AggieKeith15
AG
Down another 2.4k at the open. I guess I know now why I felt like I had lost $5k. Lol
ktownag08
AG
Worst true loss, not on paper only, was ~40k.

Paper only losses recently have been much larger than that but not that worried about it.

Missed opportunity from selling too soon is AAPL. Owned a lot of shares in 80s that would be worth >$5 million today.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Tumble Weed
Let's hope that any farmers don't see this thread.
That is where the real gambling starts!
KerrvilleAg
>7 digits more than once....but always recovered
Gordon McKernan
Not counting the recent drop in my 401K (index funds), mine would be the board favorite, Bitcoin!

Got caught up in it when it exploded like everyone else, saw the investment explode, and then watched it fall way down...... I only lost a few thousand of play money but thats the biggest loss I've taken. Still have a tiny bit of BTC i held onto just for the hell of it.
South Platte
$4000 on JDS Uniphase. I got duped into buying it 20 years ago after watching some old guy with an accent on TV championing it as the greatest company ever.
CuriousAg
An alt coin. Lost $5k. Holding onto it. Hoping for a miracle 50 years from now.
HustlerAggie
Last week I lost about $40k on something over a 24 hour period, but traded into something else that netted me $60k in the next 24 hour period, so I wasn't too broken up about it.

On crypto currencies....don't even want to think about it because it gives me PTSD.
Hustle Harder
62strat
AG
I've never sold any losses of any significant value. The few times I've sold where value was down 80% or something like that was me toying around with penny stocks under $500.

For positions of more significant amounts (like $10k or more);
I'm down 40% on FSCHX and 53% of XOM, but I ain't selling. I will likely be buying more here soon.

Oh I am down 75% on CGC, which I threw about $2k at 2 years ago. I may hang on though.. weed will have its day.

I'm still up 26% overall in my fidelity account, and my wife's account (which I manage) is still up 95% overall.

That's what buying and holding can do for you, especially when it's nflx, aapl, and amzn which I've had for several years.
KaneIsAble
AG
Not a loss but I had $2000 that I invested back during the auto crisis a decade ago that a friend told me to put into Sirius radio. It was $0.05 a share. Yea, I think about that a lot considering it's been north of $7. I was 22 and it was a lot of money to me at the time.

Left off I didn't and put it in something else that earned me 50% - but in hindsight that didn't work in my favor.
KaneIsAble
AG
But to add to my above post it's worth noting that I cashed in my 401k in early February. I'm down 0.05% so maybe I should just let it go.
30wedge
IslandAg76 said:

World Com. Second largest communications company at the time. I never sold and it went to ZERO
Many years ago, I was doing a return of this guy who had made something like $60,000 in gains that year which, at the time, was impressive. When he came to get his return I mentioned he had had a good year with his investments. He asked if I had small children and I said yes and he said take a look at Worlds of Wonder, they make talking dolls. He said that he had bought in at its all time high, that it had fallen a lot but rumor was they were about to sign a deal to make all the Sesame Street characters into these talking dolls. Come to find out, my daughter had one of their talking animal things, a bear, called Teddy Ruxpin. She loved it. What could go wrong? Knew a little about their product, a guy who was a successful investor owned it, and he had heard a rumor, lol. So I bought 100 at like 16 or so. Went down, bought another 100 at 9. Bought 200 at around 6, and another 200 below that, lol.

I rode it into worthlessness! Learned not to pay a great deal attention to just one person and don't put much into rumors, and that dollar cost averaging is a fallacy unless the damn thing goes back up!
Mas89
AG
South Platte said:

$4000 on JDS Uniphase. I got duped into buying it 20 years ago after watching some old guy with an accent on TV championing it as the greatest company ever.
Hey that Fing dog bit me too. I had put 50k of my after tax hard earned money in the market across 10 different highly recommended stocks in the mid 90s. When purchasing a new home in 99, I sold my 10 for 17k and paid down on the house. JDS Uniphase was my biggest dog of all IIRC.
Thank God I'm in land now.
AgsnFly
AG
My largest one day loss as a professional commodities trader was close to one million. It was the worst day of my life by many factors. My largest one day gain as a professional commodities trader was close to five million, and on that day I was in no way happy because of the mistakes I made that left money on the table.

All this to say that from a mental standpoint, trading is a negative sum game and why as a professional trader in his early 50s, I am totally exhausted (mentally) and ready to retire.

I always question the profession I chose in terms of the stress related consequences. I sometimes wonder if a job as a corporate finance guy or salesman might have been a healthier choice.

This is just my two cents and I hope it might give others here some perspective on the unique activity of speculative trading and its attendant consequences. Best wishes to all you Ags.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
On paper, six figures over the past 5 weeks.
RockOn
AgsnFly said:

My largest one day loss as a professional commodities trader was close to one million. It was the worst day of my life by many factors. My largest one day gain as a professional commodities trader was close to five million, and on that day I was in no way happy because of the mistakes I made that left money on the table.

All this to say that from a mental standpoint, trading is a negative sum game and why as a professional trader in his early 50s, I am totally exhausted (mentally) and ready to retire.

I always question the profession I chose in terms of the stress related consequences. I sometimes wonder if a job as a corporate finance guy or salesman might have been a healthier choice.

This is just my two cents and I hope it might give others here some perspective on the unique activity of speculative trading and its attendant consequences. Best wishes to all you Ags.
Kudos for making it that long. I did it for 3 years and GTFO. You might find it enjoyable and a welcome change of pace to go in to commercial banking or agricultural lending.
moses1084ever
AG
Let's see.... walked away from over a "million" in equity at a start up (valuation was a joke), A couple of working interests in wells that were dry (great write offs), and wait for it....

HDY
Cowboy Curtis
AG
OBMP/biotech thread
Craigy
bmks270 said:

I do limited investing and I've had 8 companies go to zero.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Lost 4K between OBMP and AKAO.
Never buying Pharmaceutical and Bio stocks again...

Well, unless it's Gilead

Lol at least with pharma you expect to lose it. Try e&p in 2011. Linn, energy 21, and forest/sabine all went bk while I was holding a couple grand worthof shares, feel like there was another one or two
Then there's hmny...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.