Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The Most You've Ever Lost

5,108 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgsnFly
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've lost somewhere in the vicinity of 1/3 of our net worth due to COVID. It makes me sick. It's probably killed my early retirement dreams, but oh well.

I also have RSU's I'm going to "lose" my ass on because of this. Issued at near all-time high and then about a week later this hit. Price now half of what it was. However, I don't really consider that a loss because I have zero cost basis in it. It's simply part of your comp package, so anything out of that is incremental income anyway.

On the flip side, my brother works for Regeneron. He was issued quite a bit of stock right before this hit and has since made a killing on paper with that!
spud1910
AG
Not exactly a loss, but on Feb. 28 I bought 60 SPY calls at .47. March 2 I was entering an order to sell at $9 when Robinhood went down. Instead of $54,000 income, I lost $2820 when RH never came back up.
YouBet
AG
spud1910 said:

Not exactly a loss, but on Feb. 28 I bought 60 SPY calls at .47. March 2 I was entering an order to sell at $9 when Robinhood went down. Instead of $54,000 income, I lost $2820 when RH never came back up.
Wow. Not sure how Robinhood survives this.
spud1910
AG
YouBet said:

spud1910 said:

Wow. Not sure how Robinhood survives this.
Yeah, I am a small potatoes guy. I can't imagine what their total losses like this would be. I got an email asking me to detail any problems I had that day. I doubt they will do much, but we will see.
AgsnFly
AG
Thanks. About Five years ago I transitioned from pure fundamentals based trading where I stared at a screen all day and made big trades (with non-stop decision making required), to mostly algorithmic trading where I trade 10x the number of trades and have very few decisions to make during the day.
It has made all the difference in my longevity. Still, I am risking my capital so that hasn't changed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.