Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Which credit card do you prefer?

14,258 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

I've never had a CC before. Does my first card need to be a "starter" card?

Pay off the card every week, or every paycheck, or every month at the longest. Never spend more than you have unless it's an emergency! Interest rates should be irrelevant because you should never pay interest (it only accrues if you don't pay your card at the end of the billing cycle).
This is not true at all. Billing cycle closes, and you typically have 20-30 days to pay off before interest accrues. It's called the grade period.

And there is no benefit to paying card off weekly, or every paycheck etc. etc.. Pay it off on the due date. Why pay it off earlier than that?
txaggie79
AG
Citi Double Cash Back. Pays 2% (assuming you pay the balance in full each month) with no limits and no gimmicks. Put as much as you can on the card, pay it off, and the rewards will surprise you.

Note that some of the other cash back cards that offer bonus rebates on gasoline stipulate that you have to buy it from someone in the "primary business of selling gasoline" which eliminates the bonus at places like HEB, Sam's, Walmart, etc. Check the fine print. For me, just give me 2% on everything I buy.

I guess that makes me a 2 percenter! :-)
AggieFrog
AG
62strat said:

gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

Pay off the card every week, or every paycheck, or every month at the longest. Never spend more than you have unless it's an emergency! Interest rates should be irrelevant because you should never pay interest (it only accrues if you don't pay your card at the end of the billing cycle).
This is not true at all. Billing cycle closes, and you typically have 20-30 days to pay off before interest accrues. It's called the grade period.

And there is no benefit to paying card off weekly, or every paycheck etc. etc.. Pay it off on the due date. Why pay it off earlier than that?

I pay it every Friday when I get paid. I treat it just like cash and have never paid a dime of interest in 22+ years.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Good...

But could have paid once a month and not paid any interest either.
JSKolache
AG
Amazon prime card
AggieFrog
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Good...

Correct - but also a larger chance it snowballs. I'd just as soon pay it daily if they had a method of doing so automatically.

I also don't like owing anyone anything. The only thing not yet paid off is the house - if not for 3 private school tuitions it would be paid off by now as well.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Why would it "snowball"?

I guess good for you though if you don't think you have the ability to not spend more than you can pay at the end of the month. Or rather it makes you spend less if seeing the money going out of your account more often.
jbeaman88
AG
If you are interested in travel and want to delve more into the "points game" others have referenced, the Churning Thread on the Travel board would be a good place to take it to the next level.
62strat
AG
AggieFrog said:

62strat said:

gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

I pay it every Friday when I get paid. I treat it just like cash and have never paid a dime of interest in 22+ years.
I pay on the due date and have not paid interest since I was out of college and had a real job.

You don't NEED to pay it more frequently than once a month, on the due date, to avoid interest.
62strat
AG
AggieFrog said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Good...

Correct - but also a larger chance it snowballs. I'd just as soon pay it daily if they had a method of doing so automatically.

I also don't like owing anyone anything. The only thing not yet paid off is the house - if not for 3 private school tuitions it would be paid off by now as well.
If it has a chance to 'snowball', then that person shouldn't have a credit card, because it means they don't know how to keep and stay on a budget. Paying it every week doesn't decrease that chance. Do you pay 1/4 of your mortgage every week too?

We have months now and again where we hit our spending budget on say the 25th or whatever. If that happens, we don't do or buy **** for 5 days, unless we agree to make up the over spending with money from savings. It's called budgeting, and it has no relation to how often I pay a CC bill.

spence10
AG
Chase Sapphire Reserve
gvine07
AG
62strat said:

gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

1. Most importantly it's a habit that doesn't allow you to spend money you don't have. If you pay it off monthly you're more likely to "get a month behind."

2. It's his first card. Having more available balance at the closing of the cycle will likely help his credit score.

3. If you have the money in your bank account, why not? Cash isn't earning anything in your checking account. You would be more likely to see fraudulent charges checking weekly than somebody that only looks at their statement monthly.
AggieFrog
AG
Works for me, may not work for you.

I don't like to owe anything - yes, I know it's the same mathematically, but personal finance is not all about just math. Psychologically it makes me check my balance and ensure I never spend more than I can pay off in any given week, which forces me to consider it just like cash in my checking account. I also always pay bills immediately upon receiving them - I find that it ensures I don't forget or that it doesn't get lost in a stack on with other mail.
gvine07
AG
AggieFrog said:

I don't like to owe anything - yes, I know it's the same mathematically, but personal finance is not all about just math. Psychologically it makes me check my balance and ensure I never spend more than I can pay off in any given week, which forces me to consider it just like cash in my checking account. I also always pay bills immediately upon receiving them - I find that it ensures I don't forget or that it doesn't get lost in a stack on with other mail.
This times a million. It's not a math question, it's about psychology/forming habits.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
or...take yourself out of the equation and make it automatic...

my cc's get paid off automatically by EFT on their due date... forces me to keep track through quicken how much each balance is...

no worries!
62strat
AG
gvine07 said:

62strat said:

gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

3. You would be more likely to see fraudulent charges checking weekly than somebody that only looks at their statement monthly.
This is a different discussion altogether.
I log into my bank and credit card accounts every day. 'Checking' does not equate to 'paying'.
TombstoneTex
AG
62strat said:

gvine07 said:

62strat said:

gvine07 said:

RG20 said:

3. You would be more likely to see fraudulent charges checking weekly than somebody that only looks at their statement monthly.
This is a different discussion altogether.
I log into my bank and credit card accounts every day. 'Checking' does not equate to 'paying'.
Plus alerts for charges over a certain amount or all card not present transactions can mitigate the fraud risk too...
62strat
AG
AggieFrog said:

I understand the mentality.. but why don't you pay it off everyday if it's that much of a mental thing? Or pay 1/30 of your mortgage every day? You don't because it's time and effort. Weekly is still pretty overkill, and time consuming if you have a few cards, cars, mortgage, etc.. Set up auto pay, then stay on budget.\

And again, there should be no correlation with payment frequency and sticking with a budget. If you can't stay on a budget, you could pay it everyday, but on week 3 of the month, you'd be out of money in your checking.
AggieFrog
AG
Mortgage is auto-drafted from checking and most bills are paid by credit card. I'd prefer to pay my mortgage weekly (auto draft) if that were offered.

I have multiple but we only really use one credit card - paying it takes literally 30 seconds and I usually do it while I'm brushing my teeth on Friday morning.

Again - just my preference to never carry a balance week to week. I'm not sure why folks are so against that. If you choose to pay monthly, bi-weekly, etc. - fine by me, I don't care. It just works well for me.
62strat
AG
Well to be fair, this started because you stated that interest accrues if you don't pay off balance by the end of the billing cycle. That is 100% false, and it made it sound like maybe that's why you pay it weekly, just to make sure it's paid off by end of billing cycle.

There is no sense in instilling that sort of fear to a first time card holder. You always have a grace period, usually a month, after the billing cycle closes to pay without interest accruing. Paying early offers no benefit in that regard.

OasisMan
AG
62strat said:

AggieFrog said:

I understand the mentality.. but why don't you pay it off everyday if it's that much of a mental thing? Or pay 1/30 of your mortgage every day? You don't because it's time and effort.
him paying biweekly takes less effort than you logging into your bank/CC everyday
62strat
AG
OasisMan said:

62strat said:

AggieFrog said:

I understand the mentality.. but why don't you pay it off everyday if it's that much of a mental thing? Or pay 1/30 of your mortgage every day? You don't because it's time and effort.
him paying biweekly takes less effort than you logging into your bank/CC everyday
My logging in everyday is an effort to catch any fraudulent charges. I pay all my debts/loans from my bank account website.
Zemira
AG
62strat said:

OasisMan said:

62strat said:

AggieFrog said:

My logging in everyday is an effort to catch any fraudulent charges. I pay all my debts/loans from my bank account website.

Why not set an alert for any withdrawals from your account? I have an alert set so get a text message any time >$100 is taken from my account so I know when most of my bills are taken out and anything strange comes out. Seems simpler than logging in daily.
62strat
AG
Zemira said:

62strat said:

OasisMan said:

62strat said:

AggieFrog said:

Why not set an alert for any withdrawals from your account? I have an alert set so get a text message any time >$100 is taken from my account so I know when most of my bills are taken out and anything strange comes out. Seems simpler than logging in daily.
I'm referring to credit card accounts, not a checking account. I pay each card on the due date, which I do from my bank account log in since I can pay any bill from that portal (mortgage, car loans, credit cards, etc).

I don't have any credit cards with my bank, usaa. They are all chase, except for one amex.

MondayMorningQB
AG
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned by now..
Thepointsguy.com

Also, determine what fits *your* lifestyle for rewards. Some are better for travel and some are better for groceries and dining

I'll spare you the advice on financial psychology and payoff schedules, rather, CC based examples would be as such:

Find a card that's free and earns you $xxxx dollars annually you wouldn't otherwise have using a debit card

Then stair step into a card with an anuual fee after a few years once you have developed a lifestyle that washes out the fee based on your habits:reward points ratio

Enjoy profit
Zemira
AG
62strat said:

Zemira said:

62strat said:

OasisMan said:

62strat said:

AggieFrog said:

I'm referring to credit card accounts, not a checking account. I pay each card on the due date, which I do from my bank account log in since I can pay any bill from that portal (mortgage, car loans, credit cards, etc).

I don't have any credit cards with my bank, usaa. They are all chase, except for one amex.

I also have text alerts set for my credit cards when anything is charged with a card over a certain amount and any charges that are used without a card (like online purchases). Just another option.
62strat
AG
I've had fraud charges for less than what we spend weekly at the grocery store, so I don't want to mess with getting texts that often. logging in often solves it for me. however I do receive texts from chase now and again for purchases that I guess raise a flag on their end as unusual.
WestTxAg16
AG
Classic thread derailment.

I use Chase trifecta mentioned above. CSR for food/travel @ 3x, Unlimited @ 1.5x for any misc bills and shopping, and Freedom only on 5x category. My wife occasionally messes up on this but we are pretty good about maximizing.

And I also have the Amazon Prime card that was mentioned above. $0 fee and 5x points on Amazon and Whole Foods. Don't have a WF nearby so I leave my Amazon card in a filing cabinet and only used on Amazon orders. This last year I lost my wallet and had to cancel all the cards in my wallet. Was able to use Prime card during that gap.

All cards are through Chase so all on the same login as well as my mortgage. I won't bother y'all with my mentality on paying my bills.
EliteZags
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

I just switched from Blue Cash Preferred to Amex Gold for the 4x multiplier on groceries and restaurants.

We lose a little on the grocery end but will more than make it up on the restaurants that BCP was coding at 1%.
kept BCP and added Uber Visa for 4% on restaurants/bars an 3% airfare

can easily max out BCP limit by buying gas and Amazon gift cards at grocery stores to have all those covered at 6%
LOYAL AG
AG
These threads are always interesting to me. The amount of effort some folks put into maximizing rewards baffles me. Obviously that's your call and if you think you get ahead that way then great, I'm happy for you.

Citibank Double Cash for me. 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay. Pay it off every month. We spend about $4000 a month on day to day stuff so we get about $80/month in cash that i can do what I want with. Doesn't get any easier than that and for all the work that goes into maximizing points my personal observation has been that the redemption rates of points is always a moving target that seems to only deteriorate.

I also have a Chase Marriott card I use to fund my business. what I've noticed recently is that Marriott is increasing the number of points it takes to get a night at a hotel. Meanwhile I'm still getting the same points I've always gotten for the things I buy. It's not enough for me to change my habits yet but it's interesting to note.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I pay for a vacation a year that would easily cost me $5k or more with credit card churning and points from my travel.
LOYAL AG
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

I pay for a vacation a year that would easily cost me $5k or more with credit card churning and points from my travel.
Interesting, thank you for that. I quick search on churning reveals this:

Quote:

The gist of the 5/24 rule is this: If you have opened 5 or more new credit cards in the past 24 months (from any issuing bank), you will not be approved for a new credit card from Chase. ... Small business credit cards do not count towards your 5 cards.
Do you churn that frequently and if so have you encountered that problem? It seems obvious the card issuers don't want you to do what you're doing so it makes sense that they would seek to prevent it. After I responded to this thread I looked at a card that said it would only pay out the "new card" bonus every 48 months. how do rules like that impact this?

Thanks again. It's probably more work that I want to put it right now but it's interesting nonetheless. I may prove myself wrong.
IrishTxAggie
AG
That's Chase's rule. There are several other cards you can use. I typically get 3-5 credit cards/yr through various offers and I tend to lean towards the cards that offer higher travel rewards because I travel a lot for work. It adds up faster for me.

Some cards remain consistent in the wallet, others I'll close prior to the annual fee date because they're young cards and won't affect my credit rating on the history side.
LOYAL AG
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

That's Chase's rule. There are several other cards you can use. I typically get 3-5 credit cards/yr through various offers and I tend to lean towards the cards that offer higher travel rewards because I travel a lot for work. It adds up faster for me.

Some cards remain consistent in the wallet, others I'll close prior to the annual fee date because they're young cards and won't affect my credit rating on the history side.
Hmmm. I don't travel at all for work but we eat out way too much. But yeah if you travel extensively for work I can see the benefit of making sure you maximize those points. I guess I need a card that gives me 5x points at Sonic, Chick Fil A and Freebirds. And Wings and More.

Wow, reading that list makes me realize I haven't been on my bike much the past couple of weeks!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Uber might be a good one if you're ok with applying the credit to your balance. They offer 4% on restaurants (bars included) and there is no fee.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.