Business & Investing
Sponsored by

New article on sociopath Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos)

17,769 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jh0400 said:

I started reading Bad Blood a few days ago. After the first few chapters I'm shocked that it took so long for the company to fall apart.
Yep, it seems so obvious after the fact. Makes me wonder what companies are frauds now that we don't recognize.
TennAg
Quinn said:

jh0400 said:

I started reading Bad Blood a few days ago. After the first few chapters I'm shocked that it took so long for the company to fall apart.
Yep, it seems so obvious after the fact. Makes me wonder what companies are frauds now that we don't recognize.

may I recommend the TSLA thread
Quinn
AG
Ha I had that thought.
ATM9000
AG
TennAg said:

Quinn said:

jh0400 said:

Great thought... except one has technology that works but maybe isn't economically viable while the other didn't have *****
TennAg
ATM9000 said:

TennAg said:

Quinn said:

jh0400 said:

Great thought... except one has technology that works but maybe isn't economically viable while the other didn't have *****

Not quite.
-They've sold millions of dollars worth of something called Full Self Driving which has zero chance of doing what they originally claimed it would do. (Plenty of lawsuits about this)
-Many Model3 depositors did so on the promise that their vehicle could be used as a driverless taxi and make them money while they slept.
-The company claimed/claims it records all their fleets autopilot interactions thereby creating an insurmountable lead in the autonomous race. In fact, the hardware and connectivity do not exist to the necessary extent for this to occur as they say it does.
-The solar roof was unveiled (and deposits collected on) in the fall of 2016. It was supposed to cost about the same as a normal roof. It still is not in production and is considered vaporware at this point even though other companies have made a similar product in the past. If it ever does come to market it will cost several times what was pitched.
-The company is currently taking deposits on a car that Elon says will possibly have cold thrusters on it and "fly."

There's more but I digress. Sorry, Elizabeth this is your thread.
ATM9000
AG
Yeah man... tech fails or takes longer to develop sometimes.

But what would be more akin to what Theranos would be something like if Tesla claimed their cars were battery-operated but in reality they moved on gasoline.

I think what really sets Theranos apart isn't that the tech failed... that is going to happen in venturing... it becomes a fraud when they say we are using the Edison and the thumb drop blood sample and making money off of it when they actually aren't. THAT'S outright fraud and way different than just failed technology.
infinity ag
I think a lot of White Knight types were looking for a female Steve Jobs type of person and she filled this need. My Linkedin would be full of females gloating about how much of a role model she was, especially a few feminist friends of mine. After she was found out, nothing from them on her. White Knights gone too.
TXTransplant
infinity ag said:

I think a lot of White Knight types were looking for a female Steve Jobs type of person and she filled this need. My Linkedin would be full of females gloating about how much of a role model she was, especially a few feminist friends of mine. After she was found out, nothing from them on her. White Knights gone too.

Ugh, this makes me sick. She was no "role model" to me. I actually finished my chemical engineering degree (and went on to get a PhD). And I was employed with a start-up whose technology actually WORKED - it was just too expensive.

She never came off as anything other than an entitled elitist to me.
TennAg
ATM9000 said:

Yeah man... tech fails or takes longer to develop sometimes.

But what would be more akin to what Theranos would be something like if Tesla claimed their cars were battery-operated but in reality they moved on gasoline.

I think what really sets Theranos apart isn't that the tech failed... that is going to happen in venturing... it becomes a fraud when they say we are using the Edison and the thumb drop blood sample and making money off of it when they actually aren't. THAT'S outright fraud and way different than just failed technology.

I think we're on the same page mostly. Her claiming that their equipment was used on the battlefield was particularly egregious...and funny.
Duncan Idaho
You are fake news.

The roof was supposed to cost the same as a traditional roof after accounting for the electricity generated...oh and the traditional roof was a traditional roof made of slate or Terra cotta (you know the two most expensive roofs you can get)

And

The thrusters on the new roadster arent to make it fly, they are to improve handling, acceleration and braking.

Of course this doesn't make your basic point any less valid.
Diggity
AG
that gets a lot of play but it sounds like he was there for the very end and that's about it.
TennAg
Duncan Idaho said:

You are fake news.

The roof was supposed to cost the same as a traditional roof after accounting for the electricity generated...oh and the traditional roof was a traditional roof made of slate or Terra cotta (you know the two most expensive roofs you can get)

And

The thrusters on the new roadster arent to make it fly, they are to improve handling, acceleration and braking.

Of course this doesn't make your basic point any less valid.

Good grief, do your damn research before calling people out please.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/17/tesla-solar-roof-cost-less-than-regular-roof-even-before-energy-production-elon-musk/
"It's looking quite promising that a solar roof actually cost less than normal roof before you even take the value of electricity into account. So the basic proposition would be 'Would you like a roof that looks better than a normal roof, last twice as long, cost less and by the way generates electricity' why would you get anything else."

Diggity
AG
Musk and Holmes really do have a gift for errrr...hyperbole?

They also both have/had toothless boards full of people that wouldn't dare say no to the boss.
Duncan Idaho
It says maybe it will fly... clearly as serious as trump was when he said Mexico would pay for the wall.

Or I was when I made that post

Diggity
AG
But that's not what you said the first time, regarding the roof.

And who the F considers tile roofs to be "regular" when composite shingle makes up 80% of the market.
Duncan Idaho
Diggity said:

But that's not what you said the first time, regarding the roof.

And who the F considers tile roofs to be "regular" when composite shingle makes up 80% of the market.

About half the people on my street. But like I said in the earlier post, you point is valid.
Redstone
AG
Read the book very shortly after release and have read all the major articles on publication day. Was also very skeptical before WSJ.
Fundamental problem was cult-like mentality.
Silky Johnston
Redstone is Redstoning up the B&I board as well? Nice.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
He pops in here every now and then. It takes a special sort to troll the B&I board.
RAM 12
AG
Bump

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elizabeth-holmes-case-opening-arguments-121138767.html?ncid=twitter_yfsocialtw_l1gbd0noiom
TXTransplant
Her defense is supposedly going to be to accuse her BF Balwani of "intimate partner abuse".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1278311
Duncan Idaho
I am going to bet that if she takes the stand her fake deep voice will change to a fake whispy childish voice to gain sympathy from the jury. All she needs is one goofball to white knight for her and believe that she was just led taken advantage of by a dude
TXTransplant
Yep, once a scam artist, always a scam artist.
CaptnCarl
AG
Read the book, and have been loosely following the WSJ articles and story.

The abusive relationship defense is such a sham. She had all the power, money, time and resources to escape that relationship. What a crock of sh*t.

It's terrible to see this happen to anyone, but it's comforting to know deceitful people become exposed; what is too good to be true usually is. She was not just that much smarter than everyone, she was just a pathological liar.

Her desire to publicly speak like Obama and innovate like Steve Jobs is beyond annoying. She should be jailed just like the Enron guys.
Redstone
AG
I'm still following this case closely, as I have since BEFORE John Carreyrou filed his initial reports.
Diggity
AG
Started these yesterday. Excellent so far. Done by Carreyrou himself (Redstone was working on another passion project).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bad-blood-the-final-chapter/id1575738174
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

Her defense is supposedly going to be to accuse her BF Balwani of "intimate partner abuse".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1278311
Apparently she has since had a baby so I'm sure they are going to play the new mother angle as well.

Also, this comment is complete horsesh^t:

Quote:

The simplest explanation for that number is that men are more fraudulent than women a lot more fraudulent and more likely to be in positions where they can commit fraud.
Pushup bras on line 1.
TXTransplant
I think the trial was delayed to accommodate her due date.

And I have no doubt that Balwani is a jerk, but this idea that she was some innocent, helpless, naive young girl who was victimized by his manipulations and machinations is absurd.
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

I think the trial was delayed to accommodate her due date.

And I have no doubt that Balwani is a jerk, but this idea that she was some innocent, helpless, naive young girl who was victimized by his manipulations and machinations is absurd.
Absolutely. Having read a lot on this she is an absolute sociopath and deserves to be in jail for a long time.
TXTransplant
Binge-listened to that new podcast today. I love that Carreyrou shows her no mercy. He actually paints Balwani as a somewhat sympathetic character who was bullied and manipulated by EH.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My good buddy is getting to testify as a forensic expert, we've worked together a long time, that's a career maker
TXTransplant
If you listened to the ABC podcast called The Dropout that came out a couple of years ago, they are also publishing new episodes about the trial.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dropout/id1449500734
Diggity
AG
and because...of course

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/opinion/elizabeth-holmes-trial-sexism.html
AgLA06
AG
I don't get the voice callout.

I know a lot of people that have different voices or laughs when trying to be "professional" for presentations or phone calls.

Hell, most teachers have their "teacher voice" when teaching.

It's less about what they are trying to project and more about their own confidence. Especially if they don't like speaking to people.
Diggity
AG
besides people doing voiceover/ad work, I've never known anyone who changed their voice as strikingly as her.

It's just another example of the lengths she went through in order to project a certain image.

Nobody is suggesting she's guilty solely based on that...it's just unusual.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.