Business & Investing
Sponsored by

New article on sociopath Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos)

17,702 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

I don't get the voice callout.

I know a lot of people that have different voices or laughs when trying to be "professional" for presentations or phone calls.

Hell, most teachers have their "teacher voice" when teaching.

It's less about what they are trying to project and more about their own confidence. Especially if they don't like speaking to people.
Boy, I do. Have you heard it? She dropped her voice significantly. It's bizarre.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What Holmes did is wayyyy different than changing to a "teaching voice" or a "phone voice".
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

and because...of course

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/opinion/elizabeth-holmes-trial-sexism.html

I saw that the other day. I just rolled my eyes. The writer is so far off point.

The last episode of the Bad Blood podcast makes some great points about how Holmes and Balwani thought they were running a tech start up. Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, and all those guys got away with a lot of sketchy crap when they were building their companies. But computer software and iPhones don't kill people.

Holmes never seemed to understand that a medical device meant to diagnose serious medical conditions is not the same thing as a cell phone. There are even texts between her and Balwani stating that they had a "software problem" when their blood testing machines didn't work. They had no clue about the physics, biology, and biochemistry that goes into medical tests and assays.
TXTransplant
11 years 3 months. Prosecutors asked for 15, defense asked for 18 months of house arrest.

Edited to add that she's pregnant with a second child. This woman is a terrible human being.
Diggity
AG
damn...guess she needed to breed some future progeny for the benefit of society before getting locked up.
TXTransplant
Just further evidence she's a self-absorbed, entitled sociopath. And her husband is an idiot for going along with it.
jamey
AG
I watched the Hulu show.

Having worked in a lab I don't understand how she got so far without labs figuring it out.

Or perhaps it never actually got into any labs and the the stock price was all built on no actual sales?
Quinn
AG
Been awhile since I read the book, but weren't they completely making up the test results? Enough people were in on it to get away with it, I guess?
jamey
AG
Quinn said:

Been awhile since I read the book, but weren't they completely making up the test results? Enough people were in on it to get away with it, I guess?

Yes thry made up results. But it was a tiny machine, smaller than many lab machines.

In order to actually make money they'd eventually need to sell the machine(actually more of a loan) to sell reagents used
Diggity
AG
Quinn said:

it was kind of a "wizard of oz" strategy. They would demo a slick, Apple looking device that only needed a tiny amount of blood....then when they signed up with Walgreens, they defaulted to using older technology and watering down the blood samples to get it to work. Predictably, this resulted in lots of inaccurate results.
TXTransplant
Yep, according to what's been reported, they didn't make up or falsify any results. They just often didn't use the numbers from the machine they invented and ran the tests using conventional test machines instead. They even managed to screw that up, though because when they tried to run the tests on a drop of blood, they had to dilute it so much to get enough sample volume that the results were inaccurate.

They reported wrong/inaccurate numbers but they also sometimes threw out/didn't report report numbers that they knew were bad or wrong. They would report the result as inconclusive instead.

They also never had a working machine that could run the hundreds or thousands of tests on a drop of blood as she claimed.
Quinn
AG
That's right. I knew they had some deal with Walmart but couldn't remember the details.
Redstone
AG
Both the family and the family fren-emy had "deep state" connections.

While it's feasible the very accomplished men on the board were conned by a young 20s they wish were their granddaughter ……

I would expect more reporting about this.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Diggity said:

besides people doing voiceover/ad work, I've never known anyone who changed their voice as strikingly as her.

It's just another example of the lengths she went through in order to project a certain image.

Nobody is suggesting she's guilty solely based on that...it's just unusual.

Diggity
AG
Everyone loves a fake British accent
TXTransplant
At some point she started purposefully going after investors with no technical background because she knew they wouldn't ask too many questions or try to vet the technology. The DeVos family foundation was specifically targeted for this reason.
Diggity
AG
I think it was the DeVos family that got swindled. Probably fitting since that's how they made their $
TXTransplant
Face Palm. I meant to type DeVos. Juggling too many different things today.
TXTransplant
YouBet
AG
Interesting hearing about all of the people including US Congressmen (Corey Booker - takes fraud to know fraud i guess) asking the judge for leniency on her. This chick must be an incredible sales person.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm thinking princess Anna was her inspiration.

Quote:

Sir Cedric Willingham : How's it going, Your Majesty?
Ralph Jones : Great. We've got nothing in common and she's got a voice like a tuba. If she had her way, we'd have sex on a bed of nails on national television. But at least the party stinks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.