Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How do you get an 850 credit score?

12,346 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieBarstool
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been at 801-810 for a decade. No inquiries, no delinquent, 80,000 credit line. Paid every loan off early. Never carry a balance. Paid home mortgage off early.

What the hell is perfect credit? Does anyone have it?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
nm
IrishTxAggie
AG
It really doesn't matter. Where you're at, you'll still get the best deals and rates that they get. It's just a tooting of the horn for people.
Whitetail
AG
A credit score is only a gauge of how good you are at borrowing money and paying it back.

If you always carry zero balance, it lowers the number because you don't have a track record of paying interest.

A quick google search reveals a technique where you carry a small secured loan (like car loan), pay off most of it so you owe <9%, and keep it open as long as possible so you have a long track record of diligently paying.

In other words, you can buy that 850 number by paying a lender interest, but as Irish correctly suggested, it doesn't matter if the number is 850 or 801.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Whitetail said:

A credit score is only a gauge of how good you are at borrowing money and paying it back.

If you always carry zero balance, it lowers the number because you don't have a track record of paying interest.

A quick google search reveals a technique where you carry a small secured loan (like car loan), pay off most of it so you owe <9%, and keep it open as long as possible so you have a long track record of diligently paying.

In other words, you can buy that 850 number by paying a lender interest, but as Irish correctly suggested, it doesn't matter if the number is 850 or 801.
My wife and I do this with cars and have since we started buying them. any time we buy a car, we pay most in cash up front and then take a small loan for the rest for the 5 year term. the payment and interest is peanuts, but helped us build a credit history. we never carry more than one car note though, and never buy a car we couldn't have just paid cash for if we needed/wanted. i guess that's less important now with the mortgage, but it seemed to really help us early on
30wedge
I set up another identity so actually there are two of me. Try to keep each score right at 425.
94chem
Perfect credit score? Seems about as useful as likes on Facebook.
IrishTxAggie
AG
94chem said:

Or a star on TexAgs!
Aggiemike96
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

94chem said:

Or a star on TexAgs!

I blue starred you.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i peaked at 846 two years ago... and have no idea why

currently right around 800...and still have no idea why

from my understanding... everything north of 750 does everything that you need, so not a big deal
94chem
Aggiemike96 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

94chem said:

Or a star on TexAgs!

I blue starred you.

Why didn't you blue star me?
Tumble Weed
I peaked at 814. It has dropped into the 700s recently. I just try to keep it above 760.
permabull
AG
evestor1
Had 820-825 for years ... now I hover between 780-800.

I take out loans at the rate of 1-2 per year and pay them back in 1-3 years. Two lines of credit. No car notes. And a TON of medical bills I usually dont know about until I get a collector call.
rodan85
AG
dlp3719
AG
I worked in a bank credit group and probably saw over 10000 credit scores. Never saw an 850. A few in the 840s. Over 800 was rare really.

Why do you care?
Tecolote
AG
dlp3719 said:

I worked in a bank credit group and probably saw over 10000 credit scores. Never saw an 850. A few in the 840s. Over 800 was rare really.
Wow, that interesting to know.
permabull
AG
AggieFrog
AG
hypeiv said:

You need a history with over 20 accounts with a mix of credit cards, car loans and mortgages with an average age of 9+ years to get in the 840s. If you only have a few credit cards you will never get there.

I bounce between 840-850 with 4 CC (and only ever use 2).
agnatgas
AG
Per Discover, I hit 850 a few months back. I have a couple of personal loans and a mortgage. Credit card capacity is high and paid off monthly. No late payments for at least 7 years.
permabull
AG
94chem
I keep reading this thread because I'm fascinated by the mentality of actually caring. It just seems like getting pinky toe augmentation.
monarch
S
Paid our 30 year mortgage off in 12.7 years.

Minimal credit card debt, but pay each card off each month.

Two car loans where I'm paying them off quicker than required.

Going through steps right now to retire at end of Feb.

Score rating is 830.
Peace for Ukraine!
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
94chem said:

I keep reading this thread because I'm fascinated by the mentality of actually caring. It just seems like getting pinky toe augmentation.
its just another metric for people obsessed with metrics (like myself, the engineer)
also:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score
mazag08
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

94chem said:

its just another metric for people obsessed with metrics (like myself, the engineer)
also:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

So the idiots all die off while the remaining people get smarter?
permabull
AG
Hanrahan
AG
Gonna guess that's more length of credit history issue bringing people score up over time?
The Kraken
AG
I just hit 850 late last month on my FICO when I just looked it up via AMEX. I had been hovering around 790-810 forever then in November and December I paid off a couple of balances I had been carrying that reduced my credit utilization from about 15% down to under 1%. I think having a good mix of cards, using all of them occasionally and a long credit history help. I've had my AMEX for 25 years.
FbgTxAg
AG
New World Ag said:

I just hit 850 late last month on my FICO when I just looked it up via AMEX. I had been hovering around 790-810 forever then in November and December I paid off a couple of balances I had been carrying that reduced my credit utilization from about 15% down to under 1%. I think having a good mix of cards, using all of them occasionally and a long credit history help. I've had my AMEX for 25 years.
I didn't think AMEX counted as a credit card and as such didn't affect your credit line. I have an AMEX Platinum Business card and it doesn't show up on my credit report.
DallasAggie97
AG
I check mine on my BofA app. I hit 850 for a month in 2017. I have about 9 open credit cards (actually use 2). 2 paid off mortgages ( from a refinance and home sale.

After getting the 850, I applied for a new CC for a $500 bonus. It fell the next month to 835. I got back up to 848 this month.

My CC utilization % is low. I think the biggest thing that helps me is length of history.

Just checked my Chase app. Their CreditScore powered by TransUnion says that I have an 822 score.

CreditWise by CapitalOne also says 822.

My Discover says 848, but it also says that the info is from TransUnion.

My AMEX app also says 822, but gets its info from Experian.

Weird.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
DallasAggie97 said:

I check mine on my BofA app. I hit 850 for a month in 2017. I have about 9 open credit cards (actually use 2). 2 paid off mortgages ( from a refinance and home sale.

After getting the 850, I applied for a new CC for a $500 bonus. It fell the next month to 835. I got back up to 848 this month.

My CC utilization % is low. I think the biggest thing that helps me is length of history.

Just checked my Chase app. Their CreditScore powered by TransUnion says that I have an 822 score.

CreditWise by CapitalOne also says 822.

My Discover says 848, but it also says that the info is from TransUnion.

My AMEX app also says 822, but gets its info from Experian.

Weird.
well... there are 3 credit bureaus... and they each have their own way of calculating credit

one of them actually ranks up to 900... so having in excess of 850 is not a big deal for that one

pick one and stick with it to measure your rating over time.
permabull
AG
The Anchor
AG
hypeiv said:

94chem said:

It's just a game to geek out over. I hope to hit 850 one day but it won't happen anytime soon because I am churning credit cards and so that kills my average age of account metric. Eventually I'll slow down and when those accounts age I'll likely get close.
I churn cards and it hasn't affected my score. I have stayed at 825 while churning.
DallasAggie97
AG
Do you close old cards? Did it affect your score?
permabull
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.