Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What's your target dollar amount for 529 by the time your child turns 18?

18,238 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GE
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What other kind would I have in my wallet?
GE
AG
94chem said:

I assumed the amount you spent fr college was the cost at the time, which would be about $11,500 in 2018 dollars, not too far off from the chart for '88-'89.
94chem
GE said:

94chem said:

I assumed the amount you spent fr college was the cost at the time, which would be about $11,500 in 2018 dollars, not too far off from the chart for '88-'89.
I have no idea what you're talking about. In 1990 I spent 1990 dollars. In 2018 I spent 2018 dollars. The average annual inflation rate can be calculated using a formula for compound interest or the rule of 72.
GE
AG
The chart is showing the '88-'89 cost in 2018 dollars, not actual dollars at the time, so the $6k you spent back then can't be a direct comparison to the chart.

I agree with your overall sentiment regarding cost of college and ability to save. If you think about A&M for example, if you're extremely frugal you can probably get by with spending somewhere between $17 and $19 thousand per year. Base tuition is around $12k and the remainder will depend on how cheaply you can find food, housing, transportation, and books.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.