Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What's your target dollar amount for 529 by the time your child turns 18?

18,270 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GE
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No disrespect to Tech, UH, UNT, etc but it is amazing to me that this huge state only has 2 public academic powerhouses. Say what you want about California (and yes, the Libs have destroyed it), but they do have a ton of high caliber public schools.
Old Tom Morris
IMO the top 10% should be changed to ensure these kids can get admitted into the A&M or UT system, not necessarily the flagship schools. Then maybe you provide a favorable path to transfer to the flagship after 1-2 years, after they've proven they have the goods. It would keep the flagships stronger academically, and still provide a path to a quality degree - even one from the flagship if they wish - for the top 10% kids.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
IIRC when I was graduating HS, BU/TCU were offering in the neighborhood of $60-$80k over 4 years as a fairly standard package to anyone that was 1800+ type level on SAT and mostly A's GPA.
realtalk123
AG
When our son was born earlier this year I spent a long time evaluating 529 plans, forecasted cost increases, forecasted plan growth, etc.

In short, if you assume university costs will continue to grow at a slightly slower click than they are currently, but still fast relative to overall inflation, you assume your 529 plan will grow around 6% annually, and you assume your child will receive some scholarships (there are tools online to help figure this out), then $130k now would cover a full ride, including room and board, to an elite private school, e.g., Rice. for 4 years.

So that is what we put into New York's 529 plan, which I think is one of the best. We plan on having another kid, so we can shift some of that money over to their 529 plan if need be, or if our son's undergrad education does not cost as much, then he will have something left over for grad school, etc. My wife and I as well as our parents and siblings all went to grad school, so it would not be unheard of for our son to do the same.

There are obviously many ways to go about saving for your child's college. This is the way we approached it. We valued being able to put the money away now and not have to think about it again. Each to their own though.
ATXAdvisor
AG
The New York plan is an excellent one, but many others are very similar. The choice to open any 529 and start leveraging the power of tax free growth for college is the key. Which 529 is more about preference (state, underlying funds, ability to see on same statement as other investments) than actual differences as you are talking about pennies per thousand dollars invested.

According to a recent study by Morningstar, Americans would have $237 billion more in assets if they had used 529 plans versus taxable savings vehicles for college expenses. That equates to $4,044 more per child without saving an additional penny!

(edits fixed a few typos)
HouAggie
AG
Did those dollars leave the country?
ATXAdvisor
AG
HouAggie said:

Did those dollars leave the country?

Maybe. Instead of paying for college with tax free gains, families paid $4k more in taxes than they should have. If they subsequently borrowed that from a bank that gets bailed out by our govt, the govt will borrow by issuing more bonds. Then the Chinese will buy the bonds.
Clavell
AG
I put in $300/mo for each grandkid. Expect will be a little a bit over $100K by 18. The 10 year old is right at $60K.
Diggity
AG
want to adopt my kids too?
Clavell
AG
5 is enough
94chem
"My wife and I as well as our parents and siblings all went to grad school, so it would not be unheard of for our son to do the same."

I made money in graduate school. Maybe you meant professional school.
TMfrisco
AG
My daughter was born in '03, the year tuition was deregulated. If your child was born from June 1 to Aug 31st that year you could still get in at the previous (regulated) rate.
I guess the $17,460 - tuition and fees for 128 hrs - we spent the week she was born may turn out to be the best investment I ever made.
The state has tried to buy it back from me 3 times already.
My father started a 529 plan for her at the same time. I have no idea what the value of that is now. I think we are in pretty good shape providing she goes to school in Texas. If not, I get the present day value for those 128 hours and she'll have to get to work.

To answer the original question, my friends with kids in school now say the $25K/year number is pretty realistic.
BBDP
AG
Stive said:

30-50% of projected cost.

Too many other variables in my mind to shoot for more than that. Scholarships, duel credit, cost projections, etc.

You can withdraw penalty and income tax free equal to the scholarships used from the 529 funds.

I want to be able to pay 100% of tuition and let them figure out room and board. Don't know if we will get there. We are way behind but starting to make up some ground.

ATXAdvisor
AG
BBDP said:

Stive said:

Too many other variables in my mind to shoot for more than that. Scholarships, duel credit, cost projections, etc.

You can withdraw penalty and income tax free equal to the scholarships used from the 529 funds.

I want to be able to pay 100% of tuition and let them figure out room and board. Don't know if we will get there. We are way behind but starting to make up some ground.

While you avoid the 10% penalty for a non-qualified withdrawal , you must pay income tax on the prorated earnings that are withdrawn based on scholarships. Regarding overfunding, the ability to use the funds for grad school and to shift to other beneficiaries makes that a minor concern for most folks.
BBDP
AG
ATXAdvisor said:

BBDP said:

Stive said:

While you avoid the 10% penalty for a non-qualified withdrawal , you must pay income tax on the prorated earnings that are withdrawn based on scholarships. Regarding overfunding, the ability to use the funds for grad school and to shift to other beneficiaries makes that a minor concern for most folks.

Tax free I believe if you have equal scholarships used...... just like if you spent it toward college.
BBDP
AG
Yep: see number 2: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.savingforcollege.com/article/amp_articles_html/the-truth-about-scholarships-and-529-plans
Stive
AG
That's not what it says. It says you avoid the 10% penalty...not the income taxes on the earnings that you withdraw.

Quote:

In the case of a scholarship, non-qualified withdrawals up to the amount of the tax-free scholarship can be taken out penalty-free, but you'll have to pay income tax on the earnings.
BBDP
AG
Ouch. You are correct... you pay income tax on the growth.
FJB
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Front loaded $30k into a 529 at 1 year old. Theoretically that should cover half of 4 years by the time college rolls around
Did the same and had $40k in by 2 yrs old. She is just turning 3 in a couple of months.
chn4
Plan is to buy an approx $150K rental property for each of my 4 kids....and I'm half way there! Got one for my 6 year old and 4 year old, but still looking for a good property for my 2 year old and newborn.

Going with a 15 year mortgage so houses should be paid off and worth about $150K each by the time college rolls around.
halfastros81
AG
I saved $100k per child, mine are both in college now. I only had about half saved in 529b's and the rest was just stowed away in CD's. I'm going to be a little short fwiw so I'd suggest your $80-100k per child is well short for children that will be going to college 15-20 yrs from now.
AgCPA95
AG
chn4 said:

Plan is to buy an approx $150K rental property for each of my 4 kids....and I'm half way there! Got one for my 6 year old and 4 year old, but still looking for a good property for my 2 year old and newborn.

Going with a 15 year mortgage so houses should be paid off and worth about $150K each by the time college rolls around.
Bigger Pockets fan?
txagbear
I just put two through A&M. Total cost for the 13 graduate was around 90. The 17 was probably over 100. You do get some cost savings to offset that, but if you are like me, and a little spooked about running out, you supplement as you go. I wound up with about 80k per kid in various savings and had about 60 k left over when it was done
MC Clap Yo Handz
AG
I go back and forth on how much to put in my 2 year old son's 529 plan and how much to put elsewhere. 15K is deposited each December, but I've already been instructed that I will eventually need to think of other areas for this money to avoid over-funding the account. We have no plans to use the funds for private school, so I assume some type of savings account will be the answer, but I will leave that up to the experts to decide. 2nd kid is due in July and we will be following the same path.
rathAG05
AG
Touch. But I can't help but save. It's just who I am.
Joe Exotic
AG
Their tuition and some cost will be covered by Hazelwood and post 9/11 gi bill. I put some in a 529 as well. However I absolutely refuse to pay more than 75% of their college. They need a skin in the game.
Cancelled
AG
You can borrow college money, but you can't borrow retirement money
gig em 02
$100k for an undergrad degree from A&M???? Student loans really are going to kill higher education!
GE
AG
I'm funding the 529 for my kids as if college costs will continue rising as they have been, but dont think they will. There is too much working against it.
deddog
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Don't count on scholarships. True merit based aid is very rare and getting harder to come by.
And it's even rarer at tu and Aggieland
Pasquale Liucci
AG
100% this. Not trying to humble brag or anything but I was a Merit Scholar and got a really good chunk of aid from A&M (like 75% all told, contingent upon maintaining a 3.5 GPA). I don't know anyone other than other Merit Scholars who got more than $1-2k from A&M.

Most of the merit based aid I saw was at the Baylor's and TCU's of the world where their package made total cost of attending ~150% of A&M/tu
QBCade
AG
Planning/modeling for $140kish per kid. Kids are 11 & 9.

Edit - I believe my son will go to A&M or another big state school. My daughter will prob go the smaller private route. I'm assuming that I save more than needed for my son and roll over excess to my daughter.
GE
AG
If this is good data from the college board, it looks like the ridiculous inflation of college costs has started to level off.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-fees-room-and-board-over-time

94chem
I see $9500 for state universities in 1989-89, but A&M ran us about $6000/year from 1990 - 94. I'm sure people spent a lot more, but I was frugal. I got $500/semester to cover my books, and the leftover was my spending money. I also got $375/semester for my national merit scholarship, not nearly what it is today. The point is that I don't believe that it costs $21,000/year to attend A&M. I hear parents telling me how much it is, but then I hear where kids are living, what they eat. Sorry, but college students can live within their means as well. This ain't a free for all with dad's checkbook or student loans.
GE
AG
94chem said:

I see $9500 for state universities in 1989-89, but A&M ran us about $6000/year from 1990 - 94. I'm sure people spent a lot more, but I was frugal. I got $500/semester to cover my books, and the leftover was my spending money. I also got $375/semester for my national merit scholarship, not nearly what it is today. The point is that I don't believe that it costs $21,000/year to attend A&M. I hear parents telling me how much it is, but then I hear where kids are living, what they eat. Sorry, but college students can live within their means as well. This ain't a free for all with dad's checkbook or student loans.
That chart is in 2018 dollars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.