Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Backpack Recommendations for the office

9,427 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wizard
YourFavAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

https://www.tumi.com/p/knox-backpack-0222681AT2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_content=0222681AT2&utm_campaign=gs+:_brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84rQBRDCARIsAPO8RFxBI1LLHhKZVJvHqGYJK6upmtgBsBRztR6akDkMUkT_LA2htvCNth8aAl7HEALw_wcB
Have this bag exactly. Used to be anti backpack, but found it is so much better for the weekly travelling and carrying everything I need.
JHUAggie
www.duluthpack.com
diehard03
Quote:

And look like the nerdy kid in high school that hauled all their books to every class and jammed up the hallways.

Weird. I wasn't aware there was a large aversion to them. I keep seeing them more and more, but it maybe just because I am more aware of them.
aTm2004
AG
Buy once, cry once

I have the thin briefcase and will hopefully be buying the squared backpack within the next few months if we book a trip to Europe.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
aggiepaintrain
AG
I use this. Highly recommend. It's cheap and looks expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Colombian-Leather-Flap-Over-Messenger/dp/B004XAVT8K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510249139&sr=8-3&keywords=samsonite%2Bmessenger%2Bbag&th=1&psc=1
The Wonderer
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

And look like the nerdy kid in high school that hauled all their books to every class and jammed up the hallways.

Weird. I wasn't aware there was a large aversion to them. I keep seeing them more and more, but it maybe just because I am more aware of them.
Oh, I have one. I only use it if in the middle of a large project that requires me to review a lot of paper at home. I stick with my medium sized 5.11 messenger for daily use because it's not big enough to heavy as hell.
Duncan Idaho
diehard03 said:

Quote:

When I see them I have two thoughts:
Either God what a fat slob he can't even carry his bag
Or
My God what an unorganized idiot that he has to carry that much crap.
Duncan Idaho
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Premium said:

Does this make you feel better?

wow, the person on the right there has a very serious medical issue and should get to a doctor immediately...

Not to mention that the bag actually rides closer to the center of your back than on your hip.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love my Saddleback bag but it set me back $500 plus. Depends on your industry, if you are in IT or engineering you can get away with a backpack, if it finance, legal, accounting or sales I'd suggest avoiding them.
Rexter
Just wait til you walk in the door at the same time as the CEO or whom ever, and he asks "you going to school today?"

Get a messenger bag or something.
agcivengineer
AG
Used to use a messenger bag and had the same crazy thoughts that the type of bag someone carries actually matters. I learned that no one really cares, i switched to a basic backpack and love it. No one cares anymore what type of bag you use to carry your belongings. Use what works and you like.
Buck Compton
AG
agcivengineer said:

Used to use a messenger bag and had the same crazy thoughts that the type of bag someone carries actually matters. I learned that no one really cares, i switched to a basic backpack and love it. No one cares anymore what type of bag you use to carry your belongings. Use what works and you like.
Username checks out.

Seriously, use whatever works, but in certain circles, a first impression can be a huge deal and a bag and the types of clothes you wear are the first two things.

In certain industries, you wear khakis and polo or button up and go for the full business casual look as the desired look (including some sales jobs). Back office jobs, teachers, engineers, construction, small business owners, etc. Perfect for a backpack.

In some roles you wear a suit and tie (or at least a sport coat) every single day and interact with executives or clients making 7, 8, 9 figure purchasing decisions. You'll look quite out of place and people will question your ability to read/understand the context if you show up wearing a backpack with a suit. Can you overcome it? Of course, but no reason to give yourself an extra obstacle.

But you do you.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
Premium
AG
This thread is about an OP pharma Job. HTH
aggiebq03+
I'm a huge fan of my Tom Bihn backpack. Also have a few sizes of messenger bag I used for weekend trips out and about when we lived overseas and took public transport everywhere. Now I use the backpack when traveling overseas as my work bag.

Since I drive now instead of walking I have a saddleback briefcase. But if you walk a lot I'd never go that route. Thing weighs too much, but gets lots of compliments.
94chem
I think maybe the style doesn't matter as long as it's leather. Lots of these bags depend on how you attach the strap. Not overly weathered leather like some Birkenstock, unbathed Euro would wear. I mean something that looks good paired with a nice pair of Florsheims or some other nice shoe.
Buck Compton
AG
Premium said:

This thread is about an OP pharma Job. HTH
Yep, and OP got plenty of good advice. I was replying to someone else. HTH
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
94chem
Also, if you are a beanpole who looks like you need a sammich, don't use a messenger bag. No matter what you wear, you'll look like an actual bike messenger.
YouBet
AG
I simply think a backpack in an executive setting is unprofessional, however it's another norm that will most likely fall by the wayside in the next few years as more and more people adopt them and the boomers retire.

Personally, I have a Filson similar to the one on page 1. It's tougher than any bag posted on here by a mile, and I get compliments on it pretty much weekly. I fly a lot so it takes a beating. It has a lifetime warranty.

It's the best "briefcase" Ive ever owned and I will probably never own anything else. I do like the Tumis as well.
ORAggieFan
I know many professionals making $300k+ meeting with C Level execs with backpacks. No one cares.
aggiebq03+
YouBet said:

IPersonally, I have a Filson similar to the one on page 1. It's tougher than any bag posted on here by a mile

I doubt your claim.

/guywhopostedaboutsaddleback&tombihn
YouBet
AG
ORAggieFan said:

I know many professionals making $300k+ meeting with C Level execs with backpacks. No one cares.
Well, it's just my opinion and I said it probably won't matter soon at all anyway. Any residual opinions against it will go away with the older folks.
YouBet
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

YouBet said:

IPersonally, I have a Filson similar to the one on page 1. It's tougher than any bag posted on here by a mile

I doubt your claim.

It's simply materials used. It's an easy claim to make. I don't know what "tombihn" is.
aggiebq03+
To be clear, you are claiming a Filson bag will last longer than a Saddleback bag?

Tom Bihn is another bag maker, based in Seattle. It costs more than similar stuff because they use better material and they make their stuff in USA. If you don't know who they are, how can you claim the Filson will last longer?
aTm2004
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Exactly. The guy becoming our CEO in January (Fortune 100 company) carries a backpack. Dude will be pulling in 8 figures in 2 months.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
aTm2004
AG
YouBet said:

aggiebq03+ said:

YouBet said:

I doubt your claim.

It's simply materials used. It's an easy claim to make. I don't know what "tombihn" is.

Check out Saddleback's site and they'll walk you through how each bag is made and the materials used. I have a briefcase from them and it will last me my entire career. It's 2 years old this month and still looks like it did when I got it. Not as stuff, but still not fully broken in after daily use.
ArticPenguin:

YouBet
AG
Saddleback and Tom Bihn both look like great products.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Judging by this thread about 50% care about backpack vs Bag, the question is will you run across any of these people as your boss at some point.
Post removed:
by user
Ag CPA
AG
This kind of stuff is company specifc. Literally every VP at my company uses a backpack to haul around their laptop and files, while over a Exxon's office in Las Colinas I doubt you see any of that from execs.

Black Northface or similar with the soft laptop pockets seems be to the preference in my office.
RK
AG
saddleback is excellent for durability and aesthetics...and generally blows for comfort and convenience/organization. this from someone who has carried a thin briefcase by them for the last 5+ years and still continues to. if I was traveling/on-the-go every day, I don't think it would be my choice. for meetings and light travel it suits me fine.
94chem
Quote:

over a Exxon's office in Las Colinas I doubt you see any of that from execs.

...but in The Woodlands or Baytown where they do the actual work, probably nobody cares.
DRE06
AG
Anything by Briggs and Riley is top notch. Expensive but will last forever.
aggiedata
AG
Premium said:

I've had everything from a Saddleback to the Sam's Club Swiss Gears that everyone has.

This is hands down the classiest, most efficient, comfortable and useful backpack I've ever seen or owned (for business):

eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack (Solid Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU0PEA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NvqaAbKYHZPR0

I'm a super Amazon user and did tons of research before landing on it. It will not disappoint.
I'm done with messager bags after years of having one. I'm pulling the trigger on this. Thanks!
dmart90
AG
Just got a new briefcase from Saddleback. It is a solid as a rock and great looking!

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-briefcase
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
94chem
Nice bags. I have a knockoff. The only thing I don't like is having to use buckles instead of snaps or zippers.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.