Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Is this settlement check legit?

20,628 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Koko Chingo
loveaTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Strange question and not sure this is the right board but here goes:

My adorable 89 year old Great Aunt has fallen prey to lots of scams and schemers. Still she "manages" her own accounts and my husband and I are very attentive and make strong suggestions since we get to clean up any messes that get made.....like her new best friend "Cricket" who was depositing stolen checks into her account last fall. But I digress.

She got a check Monday for $1469 from "CFPB v. global client solutions llc" and it says it's from a settlement reached with some bad actors who were taking fees before settling debts. I immediately said she shouldn't deposit it in case it was a scam which I was sure it was. When I am
part of a settlement I usually get a postcard sized check for $0.72 as my portion. But it actually appears from Googling this that it is legit? Can her bank verify it for her before depositing it?
aggie028
AG
Not a cashier's check is it? If so, probably a scam.
MAS444
AG
If all seems to check out and she deposits it, just make sure she waits a couple of weeks to make sure the check gets honored. In other words, don't spend the money until it's been verified good by her bank, which they often can't do immediately.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Cash it at one of those check cashing places that charge 1%. Get 99%. Scam the scammers.
loveaTm
AG
Thanks. I'll just have her deposit it and leave it alone a while.
loveaTm
AG
Not a cashier's check so she's got that going for her.
The Wonderer
AG
Was a legit case: https://www.law360.com/articles/570753/debt-relief-processor-to-pay-7m-for-allowing-illegal-fees

Best course is to deposit and hold as stated above.
Agof88
AG
Actually looks legit:

Payment Processor to Pay Over $6 Million in Relief to Consumers

WASHINGTON, D.C. Today, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) announced an enforcement action against Global Client Solutions, a leading debt-settlement payment processor, for allegedly helping other companies to collect tens of millions of dollars in illegal upfront fees from consumers. The Bureau has asked a federal district court to approve a consent order that would require the company and its two owners to halt all illegal activities and to pay over $6 million in relief to consumers as well as a $1 million civil penalty.
loveaTm
AG
Thanks so much!! This will be a big help for her I was just afraid it was too good to be true!
aggie028
AG
Did she have a reason to get a check from them? Scammers know how to use Google just FYI. As others said, be careful. If it's a cashiers check 99.99% chance it's not legit.
Koko Chingo
AG
loveaTm,

Was the check legit.

I handle my moms finances. I received a letter in the mail for my mom on Friday saying they mailed her a check for $277 and it needed to be cashed by September 28th.

I looked through the accordion folder I keep her paperwork in and I have the check. I have no idea why I kept the check, I thought it was a scam.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.