Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Millennials are threatening dozens of industries

10,270 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DadAG10
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually like napkins, but the high quality kind. I purchase in bulk on Amazon.

I tried to golf once in my life. I decided plenty of better things to do with my time and money. Now if someone wants me to drive the cart I can do that.

I have actually purchased two new cars but I keep them for a while.

I purchased a house but I'm thinking of selling it as I am never home and keeping up with crap when you aren't home is a pain. If I had a family it would make sense, but being single it's not exactly as I thought it would be. So I accomplished the American dream of homeownership, but geeze it's a pain in the ass. I knew it wasn't easy, but it's hard as a female to keep up all the damn maintenance by myself. So to each his own on that point.

Duncan Idaho
I have posted this before but the three biggest mistake I see kids in their 20's make are:

1) getting too much car.
2) getting a house too soon
3) getting too much of a relationship too soon

All three of those are anchors that will prevent you from exploring you social/personal/career options when you can most afford to be selfish and explore those options.
jamey
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Glad to see keeping American autoworkers employees doesn't matter to you.

I plan on buying Japanese when I finally do buy another vehicle
Bird Poo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I have posted this before but the three biggest mistake I see kids in their 20's make are:

1) getting too much car.

All three of those are anchors that will prevent you from exploring you social/personal/career options when you can most afford to be selfish and explore those options.
I disagree with 2&3. Married early and bought a house early. Working out great.
Bird Poo
AG
kayakag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

Also, had my first of 5 kids at the age of 24.

I'm 40 now and can't imagine changing diapers and not getting sleep. I'll also have enough equity to move anywhere I want when I retire (which will likely be close to family).

With all due respect, of course.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Zemira
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

I don't have to worry about any of those. I'm 34 and don't have a car note or a relationship to rush into. When I hit 30 I decided to buy a house. Great idea if you have someone to share it with but alone it sort of sucks after a while.
Duncan Idaho
kayakag said:

kayakag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

I'm 40 now and can't imagine changing diapers and not getting sleep. I'll also have enough equity to move anywhere I want when I retire (which will likely be close to family).

I am sure for a fair number of the people posting on this site, this observation doesn't apply. But I think it holds for the majority of the population at large.

With all due respect (*and not in the Ricky Bobby way)
Punked Shank
AG
kayakag said:

kayakag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

I'm 27 and can move anywhere I want to. No kids or mortgage. In fact, I just did that 2 months ago. With all due respect. I think I'm winning. (Note sarcasrism here...good for you having 5 kids..not my cup of tea)
ATM9000
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

The house and marriage early thing are relative to your maturity level at that age. I didn't get married until I was 30 and that was a good thing because I wasn't totally a grown up until about then. Will agree on car and I'll add one:

going and getting in the hole both financially and on time getting an MBA or graduate degree with no real plan on how it fits into our career plans.
smokeythebear
AG
kayakag said:

kayakag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1) getting too much car.

I don't think that really counts. Things were different when you were 24 than if we're talking to a someone who is currently 24.
Hachieaggie10
AG
One small problem with your theory. If no one buys new cars then there are no used cars for you to buy...
smokeythebear
AG
But if you just sell two more teas...
Out in Left Field
AG
What are some other good industries we can threaten??
Aust Ag
AG
Pretty sure they are killing Lubys , one by one.
IrishTxAggie
AG
You're welcome...
YouBet
AG
Millennials now killing the national pastime:

http://www.barrons.com/articles/as-millennials-turn-their-backs-on-baseball-could-espn-cut-the-cord-1498164785?mod=bol-social-fb

Their evil is relentness. Possibly need to divert military spending to combat this scourge.
Out in Left Field
AG
Their attempt to speed the game up by eliminating the intentional walk is a top notch effort.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Diggity said:

did it lose it's third W?

T&P
Am I the only one that never knew what the 3rd "W" was for? It's Buffalo Wild Wings, not World Wide Web...
Stive
AG
That makes two of us
ac04
the third W stood for weck. it's some kind of goofy sandwich that's popular in the northeast i think
Dave Robicheaux
AG
Millennials ( me) would also rather be mobile then join a country club. I can see that being an issue in the future.
redag06
A delicious roast beef sandwich better than a normal roast beef sandwich!
FbgTxAg
AG
YouBet said:

Millennials now killing the national pastime:

http://www.barrons.com/articles/as-millennials-turn-their-backs-on-baseball-could-espn-cut-the-cord-1498164785?mod=bol-social-fb

Their evil is relentness. Possibly need to divert military spending to combat this scourge.

Wish the little b******s would kill the NBA.
MathNewman06
AG
ac04 said:

the third W stood for weck. it's some kind of goofy sandwich that's popular in the northeast i think

Milennials killed the weck, too.
RangerRick9211
AG
Dave Robicheaux said:

Millennials ( me) would also rather be mobile then join a country club. I can see that being an issue in the future.
We have our own version of country clubs. I've been to SOHO houses in Chicago and NYC with friends that are members.

It's an urbanized country club that only allows "creatives" to join.
AggieOE12
AG
As a 27-year old millennial, I think the killing off of red light cameras was the dumbest thing. College Station and Houston drivers don't stop at a single stop sign or for a right turn on red. Plus, if you get a "faulty" camera ticket, they're easy to dispute.

And BWW, Sears, Mervyns (remember them?), Applebees... We aren't avoiding due solely to products. We're avoiding due to the experience. Staff at smaller stores and restaurants are (usually) much more inviting and cordial. In my experience its due to a younger corporate (or lack there of) influence that gives a hoot about their image. It's the older, established places that are getting lazy and neglecting the customer experience and in turn hiring and NOT training terrible employees.

I'll gladly pay more online or at a smaller vendor to not deal with sh**head employees or an unkept facility.

Oh and buying a new home or car? Yeah, you guys are spot on.
IrishTxAggie
AG

Quote:

As a 27-year old millennial, I think the killing off of red light cameras was the dumbest thing

You serious?! Red light cameras are completely unconstitutional!
RK
AG
poor kiddo...
pfo
AG
As an investor I have adapted my investing to the millennial lifestyle.

If you think of the millennial as someone living in their mothers basement staying hammered drunk and stoned and playing video games all day and night and only going out to take selfies then it makes investing easy.

Amazon, Dominos, Yum Brands, Constellation Brands, EA, Activision Blizzard, Take Two Interactive, Google, Netflix, Facebook, Apple, Ulta.

Diggity
AG
Sounds more like the 70's
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Diggity said:

as long as you guys leave Hollywood Video alone
They were worse
Al Bula
AG
I hope to god movie theaters go away. Paying to sit in a dark room with rude asses is a terrible waste of time and money.
YouBet
AG
RPM said:

I hope to god movie theaters go away. Paying to sit in a dark room with rude asses is a terrible waste of time and money.
I haven't looked up any data on this but it seems like theaters are making a comeback so you might be disappointed. Most theaters are moving towards a much more shared, interactive experience model and seem to be doing well. Boutique theaters are popping up everywhere.

E.g. Alamo Draft House, Studio Movie Grill

I still love going to big blockbuster movies at the theater despite the sometimes rude folks.
Ragoo
AG
RPM said:

do what I do, as an adult, don't go.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.