Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Coworker Scammed By Tax Preparer?

4,805 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by V8Aggie
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UltraTax

It's not cheap, but I know it and didn't want to deal with a steep learning curve.

The license is about $240. Then you pay for each return, and e-filing.

For example, a 1040 is $25 (no state, that's another $12) and the e-filing is $7.

1120 is $59 (includes state) and $7 e-filing.

Ag12thman
AG
UltraTax here, too. It's legit.
gigemhilo
AG
We use UltraTax. I especially like that you can import from several different accounting softwares.

As for the situation in the OP, the preparer probably got a % of refund. So he he had an incentive to hit the sweet spot.

I hear of preparers like this all the time. They especially prey on minorities. Many times, though, the taxpayer knows what they are doing and are complicit.
ebdb_bnb said:

You're coming across as a gigantic **shole. I have a home and a few brokerage accounts and my return is is 100+ pages. I can understand not reading every page.

Do you go to H&R Block and sign whatever they tell you to? I may very well be an ******* but the IRS is the biggest *******. And apparently nobody taught these adults not tomake this mistake, and now they are enjoying the consequences. So yeah, if telling them the truth, which will help them not get conned like this in the future, makes me a jerk, then yeah, I am.
tamutaylor12
http://images.memes.com/meme/633839
khkman22
AG
62strat
AG
Ham Slice MRE said:

My guess is these two were blinded by their yuge refund....

Yuge?

Wtf is that? Canadian spelling or something?
tamutaylor12
Do you even trump bro?
BigPuma
AG
We use ProSystems (CCH Product)

I've used GoTax(whatever it was called), Pro Series (hated it), and Lacerte. ProSystems has been pretty good to me.

Ham, did you go to Katy High?
wasabi1787
AG
26.2 said:

wasabi1787 said:

The fact that he intentionally skipped over it would be very important in court. But it's really not relevant as long as she can get an abatement.
Here's what I'm trying to explain to you. Form 1040 is very clear. You sign your name DIRECTLY BELOW the paragraph that says:

Quote:

Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return and accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and accurately list all amounts and sources of income I received during the tax year. Declaration of preparer (other than taxpayer) is based on all information of which preparer has any knowledge.

Why would you sign your name to something that you don't understand after reading this paragraph? This isn't something that the preparer skipped over. She literally had to read this paragraph when finding the spot to sign her name.

That's a very nice screenshot - well done. But that doesn't change the fact that you clearly know nothing about contract law. But if you want to act like a wet turd just because I'm trying to help out a young girl who was taken advantage of, well, I guess that is your prerogative.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
There is a middle ground here.

26.2 is probably going a bit aggressively on the "don't you read contracts" angle, but you're also acting like these guys couldn't possibly be expected to understand what is going on.

It's not either or. People that try and scam folks like this need to be caught and held accountable, but people also need to at least review the stuff. The lesson for this young lady would be much better if it includes the notion of reviewing what you're going to sign as opposed to simply acting like there is always a bail out to be had via legal means.
V8Aggie
AG
If she's in her twenties why on Earth is she paying someone to do her taxes? Do it yourself damn.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.