Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Texas BBQ restaurant franchise contacts or potential partners

14,726 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aggie Dan
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a buddy of mine and I were eating at a "Texas bbq" joint here in Pennsylvania and it sucked. Bad. We had the idea of bringing up a Rudys style bbq joint and opening up shop here in the heart of all of this Marcellus/Utica development. Lots of people here from Texas and Oklahoma wishing we had better bbq choices than what's available.

Anyone have any idea about how to get something like this going? My friend has the capital, just need the contacts at a Rudys or some other willing participant.
ATM9000
AG
Recently moved to the NE. You can find so-so BBQ up here but nothing great. The problem you are going to have with a 'Texas Style' BBQ place is that a $10-$13 BBQ lunch in Texas is running closer to $18-$20 here... that's why simple delis and sandwich shops or pizza places are so much more prevalent in this area than things like BBQ, etc.
Ogre09
AG
With bbq, I don't really see the need to open a franchise. If you have the cash and the know how, I would think you would be fine starting up on your own. The biggest issues I would see are getting a good, steady, cost effective source of meat and wood.
VitruvianAg
AG
Didckie's is already her in Northern Va.
And PA
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
Didckie's is already her in Northern Va.
And PA

That's the OP's point.
VitruvianAg
AG
I figured!

I have to admit I like Rudy's wet brisket better, pretty much the same otherwise, to me. Sausages about the same, don't like the ribs or pork enough to order it.

Though the last time had some Rudy's the wet seemed a bit charcoalish.

Most of the BBQ around here is puled pork NC stile, Meh, doesn't do much for me but I'll eat it now and then.
VitruvianAg
AG
There is a TX BBQ place in Richmond that's pretty good..up n Churchill area. Alamo BBQ.
Petrino1
Dickeys BBQ is the only BBQ place where I live in Minot, ND. Its not the worst BBQ Ive ever had, but I would kill to have a Rudy's or Pappas BBQ type place here.
GarlandAg2012
AG
The Original AG 76
AG
You are assuming that your common ordinary house yankee will like real Texas BBQ!
When I lived in Tampa ( a yankee infested city) there was 1 really good Tex-Mex owned and operated by a couple of guys from E Houston. Food was excellent and spicy. Over a 3 year period I noticed the taste getting worse and worse until it was so bland as to be frozen deli- case quality.
I finally asked the owner what happened and he said the comaints from the vast majority of customers who liked the style was that the food was " too spicy@. He told us to order Extra Extra spicy Houston style so his cooks would know to make it moderately spicy.
I'm afraid that a good bbq place would be the same. Your common ordinary house yankee considers salt and pepper to be exotic seasoning!
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
You are assuming that your common ordinary house yankee will like real Texas BBQ!
When I lived in Tampa ( a yankee infested city) there was 1 really good Tex-Mex owned and operated by a couple of guys from E Houston. Food was excellent and spicy. Over a 3 year period I noticed the taste getting worse and worse until it was so bland as to be frozen deli- case quality.
I finally asked the owner what happened and he said the comaints from the vast majority of customers who liked the style was that the food was " too spicy@. He told us to order Extra Extra spicy Houston style so his cooks would know to make it moderately spicy.
I'm afraid that a good bbq place would be the same. Your common ordinary house yankee considers salt and pepper to be exotic seasoning!

Nope...I'm catering to all the Texans up here working the oil patch! Plus, when I make my brisket, these Pittsburgh yanks can't get enough
Sooner Born
quote:
Your common ordinary house yankee considers salt and pepper to be exotic seasoning!
I'm fairly certain you just insulted most of the Outdoors/Food & Spirits boards.
bobbyb0322
Was in Colorado Springs recently and was surprised at how packed the Rudy's was on my way into town and a week later on my way out. You could barely get in the parking lot.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
Dickeys BBQ is the only BBQ place where I live in Minot, ND. Its not the worst BBQ Ive ever had, but I would kill to have a Rudy's or Pappas BBQ type place here.

Dickeys is the only game in town here in Rock Springs, Wyoming, as well. You'd think that with all the cattle in this state, you'd be able to get a decent plate of BBQ.
El Chupacabra
Contact Vince Young
Post removed:
by user
NonReg85
AG
quote:
Was in Colorado Springs recently and was surprised at how packed the Rudy's was on my way into town and a week later on my way out. You could barely get in the parking lot.
That's because the only other choices are Dickey's and Bird Dog.
diehard03
quote:

I think the bigger issue is cultural when you move up north. Even in the midwest, BBQ just isn't considered a cuisine you think of when you go out to eat. The places are no more hit or miss than Texas, imo...so it just seems to be cultural.

People will eat hot dogs and italian beef all day up here...and that stuff is garbage compared to good BBQ.
Jackass2004
AG
Plus, getting into the restaurant business is well. .. I don't have the heart for that. Easier said than done.
JD Shellnut
AG
Just got back from working on a 4 month project in pennsylvania, and I can certainly attest to the bland food up there! And wow, they do certainly love their hot dogs up there. Seemed to be a hot dog place on every damn corner. I'm safely back in texas now enjoying my bbq and fried catfish.
Aggie Dan
AG
quote:
With bbq, I don't really see the need to open a franchise. If you have the cash and the know how, I would think you would be fine starting up on your own. The biggest issues I would see are getting a good, steady, cost effective source of meat and wood.
I agree with this. Is the Rudy's name worth the franchise fees and rules? The answer is probably no. Just open a BBQ joint and made good BBQ at a reasonable price. If it works, then good. If not, then at least you tried.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.