Best places to live?

11,807 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by proudaggie02
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an opportunity to relocate to any within an hour of any major city (1MM+}). Where would you go and why?

ToddyHill
AG
Knoxville isn't a million, but I'd opt for East Tennessee. If it has to be 1 million plus, I'd head to the Lebanon, TN area. Close to Nashville airport and rural. We moved from Texas to the Knoxville area in 2009 (Job related). Had the chance to move back but chose to stay with no regrets.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
According to Wikipedia there were 56 metro areas in the US in 2020 with more than 1,000,000 people, seems like a good list to look over to know your options.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area

Beyond that it comes down to what you enjoy doing and what's important to you.
The Lost
Does housing cost matter? Single? Family? Short term? Long term?

Way too many variables with such little info.

Probably salt lake now since Denver is full and keeps getting worse. Or most amount of acreage from a city on that list.
The Pilot
AG
https://texags.com/forums/55/topics/3182596
COSCAG67
AG
The Pilot said:

https://texags.com/forums/55/topics/3182596

You caught me… I started this topic without any variables thinking I may find a place I hadn't already researched.
The Pilot
AG
Ah damn, didn't realize the OPs. I live in Denver, love it here. Salt Lake is intriguing but recently had two friends move from there because they claim the people are a little strange.

Boise, Idaho is also intriguing, but likely too small.
COSCAG67
AG
Agreed on Boise.

I have a coworker from SLC that has warned me my kids will be treated "differently" there if I'm not a member of "the church". I'd like to say he's exaggerating (several on this board have said this is true and several said it's not), but he's a part of "the church" and he lives there currently. Personally, I would prefer the family environment and lack of night life there over Denver, but it's a difficult obstacle to get over.

Denver is on the list (more so Colorado Springs). However, it seems that enjoying the outdoors would be like waiting in line at six flags. Just seems that way from my trips though... maybe you have had a different experience. We visited RMNP when the snow was melting, and even during the non-peak season, it was a mad house. We visited Ouray in Sep / Oct, and it was nice.

The Pilot
AG
I haven't lived in COS so can't really speak to the stuff down there. The times we've visited Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, they've been just as crowded as any of the towns/activities closer to Denver. We live in Lone Tree so south Denver metro, west of I25. It very much feels like the burbs but we are ok with that. Before we bought it, we lived east of Wash Park. We really like that area but you are not getting land there and a decent house would be at least 800K, public schools are also crappy (South High).

We are pretty active year-round (hiking, camping, skiing). Ski traffic sucks, we pretty much only go on the weekends if friends are in town, otherwise, we are going on a random weekday to avoid the traffic. Summer activities were really crowded two summers ago, this last summer seemed more normal. Our go-to mountain place is Breck and we had a few weekends this summer when the crowds weren't bad. We stay away from the National Parks bc of our dogs. The "easier" 14er hikes are going to be crowded because that's where you get all the out-of-towners (Greys, Torreys, Bierstadt). I'm not sure how smaller the crowds for outdoor stuff would be in COS compared to Denver. We've learned to live with it, people come here to visit for the same reason we moved here. If we wanted a place with no crowds, we'd live in North Dakota.
proudaggie02
AG
I love Denver (also live in Lone Tree), and I like Colorado Springs a lot. I try to keep trips out of Colorado to 4 nights max... that's how much I like Colorado. The Springs has better access to outdoor activities than Denver, but Denver has more big city perks.

I like San Diego a lot.
AggieIce
AG
I live in North Colorado Springs and am building in Monument (city just a little more north).

Love it here, small town vibe with everything I need food and entertainment wise. The winters here are actually usually pretty mild (although it is snowing and icy now it was 60 degrees yesterday). You'll get a dozen or so snowstorms that generally melt away in a couple days.

Anywhere between here and Lone Tree would be a great spot if you like a little more rural, Castle Rock is the town in the middle that offers suburbia.
COSCAG67
AG
I like that area as well. How has your experience been with the people there? Anything like small town Texas?
COSCAG67
AG
Have you guys got anything like "cedar fever", like what you would see in central texas? I'm about ready to move to the moon to get away from it.
Schall 02
AG
Sounds like you've got something specific you're looking for and I wish you the best of luck finding it.

But if you want to have no allergy problems, chill people that mind their own business, and great weather and outdoor stuff? Move to Colorado.
AggieIce
AG
Def small town Texas vibe, people are very nice and helpful to each other here. Also a fair amount of military here, so that helps.

No allergy issues here at all personally.
AggieEP
I'm thread hijacking, but AggieIce, I have a potential job offer at the USAFA, might be moving to Colorado Springs around May time frame. We've been looking heavily at Monument, do you mind saying why you decided to build out there vs. finding a place in Colorado Springs?

Also, any advice on how to navigate the market out there. From what I'm seeing, houses are staying on the market for only a couple of days at a time, which tells me this might be even worse when I would potentially get there in the May time frame.
Rusty GCS
AG
My two criteria for where I live…

How close am I to family?
How cold does it get?

So I live where my wife and my roots are in South Louisiana. If I had to move away it would be somewhere along the gulf coast.
knoxtom
A low of the answer depends on what you like and you didn't tell us that. Best city depends on the person. First rule, live where others want to vacation. We don't have to go anywhere if we don't want, friends come to us.

That being said, I have lived in the following cities...

Fresno
Los Angeles
Bay area
Houston - Clear Lake, North Side, West Side
College Station
Dallas - Lake Highlands and Greenville
Arlington
Fort Worth
Knoxville
Flower Mound
Grapevine
Colorado Springs

The two best of the list FOR ME are Knoxville and Colorado Springs. The Texas cities are great for some people, but I am not really interested in shopping, heat, traffic, crime and bars. We will probably move to California when I retire (Placerville area), but it is too expensive while still working. Tax my house or tax my income, don't tax both.

So here is the good and bad of Knoxville... First, Knoxville itself kinda sucks. Also more than 100 miles from a real airport. You really don't want to live in actual Knoxville. Farragut and Maryville and are great. Knoxville is a great college town, but there isn't a whole lot of adult stuff. The best thing about Knoxville for me was the Plateau. It is a large area west of town with amazing rivers, hiking, waterfalls, etc. It is exponentially better than the Smokies. If you aren't into the outdoors, then I have no idea why you would live there. The bad thing, and why we moved, is the people. They are all in your business, overly religious, and try to drag down those who are improving their lives. A high percentage of the area does their pain pills, trashes the libs, and tells you the earth is 6000 years old. It can be REALLY depressing. The City strives for zero taxation, which means zero City projects and zero public events. Again, in Knoxville it is the outdoors or nothing. Also there is Houston level of bugs. Last thing, low taxation is great, but wages there are VERY low and there are few high level jobs. The successful people either work for the lab or work in another state. Hope I don't sound like I hate the place, it is actually quite high on my list. But only if you love the outdoors.

So we now live in Co Springs and it is pretty darn good. First, the bad... there are not really any good restaurants. Couple of them, but nothing special anywhere. Second, lots of homeless and accompanying problems - drugs, petty theft (they steal bikes over and over and over). Third - military presence everywhere. I have no problem with that but it is everywhere. Last - hard to get to know people. They tend to mind their own business and are slow to make friends. It can be clicky here. The military thing means people move frequently so long termers are afraid to become friends.

Now the good - tons to do. There is a reason millions take their vacations here even though there really isn't any big city attractions. No real sports, no big things that bring people in, just tons of little things. Springs may be the best hiking City in America. Springs is one of the best biking Cities in America. There are a lot of bad a$$es here. I mean this in a good way. My house was previously owned by a 4 star General. You see Olympians regularly. If your kid is in a sport, chances are pretty good one of the coaches was an Olympian, a Olympic coach, or a pro. You will be passed on the trails no matter what shape you are in. My best friend here was in the Special Forces for 25 years. My next door neighbor is the director of ALL Medicine for the entire US Army. Next to him is a 27 year Army Surgeon. These dudes are pretty inspiring. They are bad a$$es.

The weather is freaking amazing. We get over 200 days a year where the high is between 60 and 80 with no clouds in sight. It is very rare that it falls below freezing for more than a couple days. The other guy said Monument but they get over 100 inches of snow a year, around the Broadmoor we get about 50. It can be VERY windy though.

Cheap housing is expensive. It can be VERY hard to find. Expensive housing is the same as other places. 5% income tax but really low prop taxes.

The City is booming, last year more new businesses opened than any other year in history. Springs will be bigger than Denver by 2050. That is both good and bad as our City Council is not very forward thinking.

It is a harder place to live than Texas cities with regards to conveniences. Target is farther, Costco is farther. You gotta scrape snow off the driveway. We have bears that will eat the trash and mountain lions that will eat your dog. You can't have a car break down in winter or you could actually die. Little things, but some don't like them.

Springs is VERY conservative. Extremely conservative. But no one gets in your business about it except the Texans who move here. The State is 50/50 and they don't play voter games or re-districting BS. The State wants every vote to count the same.

Last thing involves a little story. When we moved here the first day a little kid knocked on the door and said she saw a kid move in. My son had a new best friend in one day. My wife and I sat on the driveway that evening drinking a beer and within 20 minutes there were at least 20 neighbors standing around drinking one with us. People were walking their dogs and they just stopped and joined in. I lived in Flower Mound for 2 years and never met my next door neighbor.

Long post, hope it helps.

COSCAG67
AG
VERY helpful, thank you!

On a side note, are there any issues with water availability that should be considered before moving to CO Springs?
knoxtom
That is a good question, one that should always be asked before moving to a Western state.

Springs built a large water pipe a couple years back bring water from Pueblo reservoir (Arkansas river) up to town (Southern Delivery system). By combining this system with existing sources, they project it as a 50 year solution. I have been told (but not sure if true) that the broadmoor area (where I live) is served by a separate system coming in off the reservoirs located back by Almagre Mountain.

Denver is served by the Platte river system along with Clear Creek and some from the Poudre. People are more scared about Denver's system than Springs' system. Aurora is currently building a massive water delivery system as well.
Schall 02
AG
knoxtom said:

But no one gets in your business about it except the Texans who move here.

That is so true. Texans are just so agitated. I feel it every time I'm back there. Maybe it's the heat.

When we moved to metro Denver, we first looked in the foothills. Realtor told us that winter is two months longer there - a month on either end. We stopped looking in the foothills.
jja79
AG
I've been spending time in the Phoenix area for a couple of weeks at a time for the past 6 months and really enjoying it. I've become a fan of the east valley in Gilbert. Hoping to make that move in 12-18 months. Gilbert was a farming community and it feels like Tomball or such only with 250,000 and just outside Phoenix.
COSCAG67
AG
Have you been out there during the summer yet? This is a place my boss wanted me to consider but the wife is not a fan of the heat.
AggieEP
Depending on how you define "1 Hour from a major city" take a look at Prescott, AZ as well. Everything I've ever heard about it is that it's a conservative and beautiful area. Because of the elevation you don't get the extreme heat of Phoenix also. Summer highs only average in the high 80's low 90's.
COSCAG67
AG
We passed through there over new years a few years ago… it's a pretty place in the snow.
Pirate04
AG
I'm surprised there are no Florida cities on anyone's lists. Tampa Bay is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country. I personally love it here but hate that it's starting to get very expensive to live here.
AggieEP
I'm in the southeast now, it has its charms, but there is no comparison between the southeast and the west. The natural beauty and access to land and outdoor living cannot be matched by the beaches in Florida.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I think a big part of that is who is moving there. If you're wanting to get out of Texas for something new, then unless beaches are your main priority, Florida probably isn't your answer. Not saying it's a bad place to live, just not different enough maybe. Seems like most of the cause for Florida's boom (and really everywhere else that's growing quickly) is people from the North East and California.
GunRangeGal
AG
If we weren't so tied into Denver, we would have ended up in Fort Collins. There's quite a bit of growth happening, lots of restaurants, bars, craft beer, festivals, and nice neighborhoods. I *almost* wish my husband had taken a job offer up there, but we really enjoy living in the mountains.

If you're looking for a super small-town feel with easy access to a large city, we love living in Evergreen. It's a pretty tight knit community, great schools, and you can't beat the scenery for how close you are to Denver. Just be prepared to buy a snow plow if you move up here!
gggmann
AG
jja79 said:

I've been spending time in the Phoenix area for a couple of weeks at a time for the past 6 months and really enjoying it. I've become a fan of the east valley in Gilbert. Hoping to make that move in 12-18 months. Gilbert was a farming community and it feels like Tomball or such only with 250,000 and just outside Phoenix.
I've lived in Gilbert for almost 15 years. I really like it here. I always said PHX area was too hot, but it's really not bad. Everywhere has AC, and you adjust your schedule to do things at dusk or dawn. The 8-9 months that are not summer are nice. It was 71 degrees today. Also, it's a 3 hr drive to ski/snowboard in Flagstaff, and it's about a 4 hr drive to the beach at Rocky Point.
barbacoa taco
AG
jja79 said:

Phoenix is amazing. I love it every time I go and would absolutely move there if a decent opportunity came along. The extreme summer heat does not bother me that much since everywhere has AC and pools are plentiful. And I dont care if it gets up to 120. it's still more tolerable than Texas summer heat.

OP, go to Arizona.
COSCAG67
AG
Does the humidity really make that big of a difference?
Rusty GCS
AG
I live south of I-10 in Louisiana. I don't mind the Arizona dry heat
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

First rule, live where others want to vacation. We don't have to go anywhere if we don't want, friends come to us.
That's why we live in Blount County, Tennessee (south of Knoxville, just outside of Maryville). I must say, I disagree with much of what you said about East Tennessee, but to each his own.

Regarding airports, people either love them or hate them. After logging 2 million miles during my career in/out of DFW I'll gladly take the 12 total gates at McGee-Tyson.

Jabin
ToddyHill said:

Quote:

First rule, live where others want to vacation. We don't have to go anywhere if we don't want, friends come to us.
That's why we live in Blount County, Tennessee (south of Knoxville, just outside of Maryville). I must say, I disagree with much of what you said about East Tennessee, but to each his own.

Regarding airports, people either love them or hate them. After logging 2 million miles during my career in/out of DFW I'll gladly take the 12 total gates at McGee-Tyson.

ToddyHill,

I'm looking for places to retire, and E TN is at or near the top of my list.

What are the top things you like about it?

What, if anything, do you not like about it?

What do you wish you had known when you first moved there?

From looking at properties for sale on Zillow, it seems that Maryville is red hot right now, more so than other E TN locations. Do you sense that and, if so, why is that? Any indication that the market might be cooling down a bit from red hot?

TIA!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.