Where would you go?

6,980 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by gggmann
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you had a young family, and the opportunity to relocate, where would you go? And why?

Denver
Nashville
Orlando / Tampa (florida center)
Charlotte / Raleigh
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Phoenix
Chicago
Austin (I'm here now, but curious where this comes in)

a.froman
AG
I would have to do some research but I would definitely be out on Chicago and Seattle. High cost of living and bad state governments. Others all are intriguing
Schall 02
AG
Already picked Denver. Very happy. Weather alone is enough, but mountain access + quality of life.
COSCAG67
AG
Denver and SLC are my #1 a and b (hoping to see some opinions about both) but between daycare and housing, it's quite a commitment. My luck, I'll buy a house and the next housing bubble will pop.
Schall 02
AG
Low property taxes in Colorado. Compared to Austin, prices might still be reasonable and have room to grow.
COSCAG67
AG
We are in Belton where 300-400 gets you a pretty nice house, which i believe might get you an entry level home in austin (not even sure a out that), so my perception is prob a bit skewed.
AggieVictor10
AG
Top Tier (a mix of being in pretty parts of the country and not being super expensive on the list):
Denver
Charlotte/Raleigh
SLC

Mid Tier (a mix of cost of living, things to do in the area):
Nashville
Orlando/Tampa
Austin (would be top tier if you didn't live there already)

Bottom Tier:
Seattle (super expensive for a family; definitely in a pretty part of the country but you could always visit the PNW without having to move here for it).
Chicago (super expensive, too cold)
Phoenix (too hot)

FWIW, I've been to Chicago and currently live in Seattle and I enjoy both cities. I don't have a family up here but I wouldn't be opposed to starting one here; however, if I already had a young family, I don't think I'd pick Seattle or Chicago.
hoosierAG
AG
Moved from Austin to Raleigh area 5 years ago. So freaking glad we did. Love it.
COSCAG67
AG
What are the highlights of the area?
John Francis Donaghy
Charlotte/Raleigh

Beautiful area, affordable COL, very strong economy/job market, family friendly culture, temperate climate, and relatively easy access to both mountains and beaches.
barbacoa taco
AG
COSCAG67 said:

If you had a young family, and the opportunity to relocate, where would you go? And why?

Denver
Nashville
Orlando / Tampa (florida center)
Charlotte / Raleigh
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Phoenix
Chicago
Austin (I'm here now, but curious where this comes in)
Top:

- Austin. Very high QOL and lots to offer. And in Texas, so close to my family. RE is expensive, though.
- Denver. Similar to Austin with QOL, but also expensive.
- Nashville

Mid:

- SLC. Like a low-key Denver, but more conservative.
- Charlotte/Raleigh. Haven't been to Charlotte but have been to Ral/Dur and thought they were great. Heard great things about Charlotte too.
- Phoenix

Low:

- Seattle. One of my favorite cities in the US but too damn expensive. I could imagine living there as a single, though
- Chicago. Too big, too cold, and I dont love the midwest. But I have enjoyed visiting there.
- Orlando/Tampa. Havent been here much but I'm sure it's a good area for families. It just wouldnt be high up on my list
Ags83
AG
Just some thoughts
I live north of Colorado Springs (Monument/Palmer Lake Area) I have lived in the San Antonio area a few times also.
Some people do commute to the Denver area from here. El Paso county (same county as Colorado Springs) has lower taxes than Douglas County, the next county north and the one south of the Denver area.
When talking about Colorado, the property taxes are much lower than Texas but there is a state income tax. So assuming the higher salary you make, the more expensive house you'll buy, the combination of the two taxes seem to equal about the same in both states (in my experience).

My kids are no longer in school but the two northern school districts of El Paso County (D38 and D20) are really good school areas
medag13
Willing to share contact info? I have a few questions for you.
Repeat the Line
Seattle was awesome 25 years ago and bearable until a decade ago.
Post removed:
by user
AggieVictor10
AG
AggieVictor2010(at)gmail(dot)com

Feel free to hit me up whenever.
proudaggie02
AG
Austin is not bad, but Denver is much nicer. I've been in the southern Denver suburbs since 2009, and I love it.... to the point where I really don't like visiting other places besides San Diego, Colorado mountain towns, and a few more places. As Schall02 mentioned, the quality of life, weather, and mountains are amazing.
COSCAG67
AG
We are to the point of mainly considering SLC vs Denver.

Edit: poll below between den slc and nc.
COSCAG67
AG
Salt Lake City
COSCAG67
AG
Denver
COSCAG67
AG
Raleigh / Charlotte NC
fla_agfan
I'm in Florida... so here
Green2Maroon
AG
Denver. I looked at SLC too after being axed from a dead end job in 2018. More than two years later I think moving to Denver was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
RockOn
I live in SLC and it's really only appealing if you're the hardcore outdoor adventure type. Tons of rock climbing, biking, trail running, peak bagging, resort skiing and back country skiing.

The city itself is pretty lame and the food is terribe. But there's plenty of tech jobs and I love all those outdoor things so here I am.
NASAg03
RockOn said:

I live in SLC and it's really only appealing if you're the hardcore outdoor adventure type. Tons of rock climbing, biking, trail running, peak bagging, resort skiing and back country skiing.

The city itself is pretty lame and the food is terribe. But there's plenty of tech jobs and I love all those outdoor things so here I am.

Agree visited SLC a few years ago and wasn't impressed as a single guy in his 30s. Weak night life, meh restaurants, and bars are boring or full of Mormon kids going crazy.

Denver isn't the prettiest downtown and the food is also meh, but there are so many fun mountain towns, great live music, county feel, and great outdoors you can see from the city. I've enjoyed it greatly.

The great thing about Denver is all the small towns that are nearby and unique. I'm in Arvada which is a great area, Golden rocks, Castle Rock, CO Springs, Fort Collins. So many great areas and friendly people.

The only city I've lived in that I loved more than Denver was Calgary AB, but I got lucky with a job and a work permit.
NASAg03
Also Denver is a great sports town, if you like that.
barbacoa taco
AG
NASAg03 said:

RockOn said:

Agree visited SLC a few years ago and wasn't impressed as a single guy in his 30s. Weak night life, meh restaurants, and bars are boring or full of Mormon kids going crazy.

Denver isn't the prettiest downtown and the food is also meh, but there are so many fun mountain towns, great live music, county feel, and great outdoors you can see from the city. I've enjoyed it greatly.

The great thing about Denver is all the small towns that are nearby and unique. I'm in Arvada which is a great area, Golden rocks, Castle Rock, CO Springs, Fort Collins. So many great areas and friendly people.

The only city I've lived in that I loved more than Denver was Calgary AB, but I got lucky with a job and a work permit.
I've always thought that people move to Denver for what is around Denver. Mountains, skiing, towns, breweries. Although Denver is a great city itself. Whereas people move to a place like Austin for the city.

I've always thought Calgary was the Canadian version of Denver. Modern, pretty cities right on the edge of the Rockies.
RockOn
NASAg03 said:

RockOn said:

The city itself is pretty lame and the food is terrible. But there's plenty of tech jobs and I love all those outdoor things so here I am.

But if you're a single guy in his 30's like I am, the dating scene is absolutely spectacular IF you do outdoor stuff. This area is full of beautiful, strong, fit, adventurous women that are rare to find back in TX.

They're not in the bars or clubs... they're on the face of a mountain here.
buckinaggie
We moved from Dallas to Nashville 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Great place to raise a family, cost of living is still relatively low (no state income tax, property taxes are 1/4 what we were paying in Dallas), always lot of entertainment options, big city but areas still have a Southern small town feel, a couple hours to the Smoky Mountains, not too far from Florida beaches, heart of SEC country. The list goes on and on. We're just south of Nashville in the Franklin area and there are quite a few fellow Ags in the area.
NASAg03
RockOn said:

NASAg03 said:

RockOn said:

The city itself is pretty lame and the food is terrible. But there's plenty of tech jobs and I love all those outdoor things so here I am.

But if you're a single guy in his 30's like I am, the dating scene is absolutely spectacular IF you do outdoor stuff. This area is full of beautiful, strong, fit, adventurous women that are rare to find back in TX.

They're not in the bars or clubs... they're on the face of a mountain here.

Totally agree. Women in Houston say they are active and outdoorsy. Cool let's ride bikes and hit up a brewery. No it's too hot and humid and I don't want to sweat. What do you mean outdoorsy? I mean I like to travel to a beach and blow lots of money.

Women here fish, hike, ski and camp all in the same weekend. They are fit and low maintenance. I love it.
Mr President Elect
AG
As someone who lives in Denver (and loves it), I might would add Boise to the list as well. It gets mentioned here from time to time as an up and coming Denver, so without the traffic or increased cost of living.
Random Ag
AG
OP - in typical Texas fashion, have you considered Richmond VA? I think it hits everything on your list. VCU Health System for your wife, tons and tons of construction as the city is revitalized, 1.5 hours to Shenandoah NP and 1+ hour to VA Beach. It's a capitol city with all the great dining and entertainment options but super easy to navigate and little to no traffic. This is my 5th state to live in and we love it.
If I had to pick from your list I'd go Raleigh. Charlotte is def closer to the mountains but I like the RTP area more.
barbacoa taco
AG
Mr President Elect said:

As someone who lives in Denver (and loves it), I might would add Boise to the list as well. It gets mentioned here from time to time as an up and coming Denver, so without the traffic or increased cost of living.
Boise does sound like the next Denver. Or maybe the next Austin since it's still a pretty small city and has no pro sports teams.

I'm sure the locals just love all the transplants and Californians moving in.
COSCAG67
AG
Random Ag said:

OP - in typical Texas fashion, have you considered Richmond VA? I think it hits everything on your list. VCU Health System for your wife, tons and tons of construction as the city is revitalized, 1.5 hours to Shenandoah NP and 1+ hour to VA Beach. It's a capitol city with all the great dining and entertainment options but super easy to navigate and little to no traffic. This is my 5th state to live in and we love it.
If I had to pick from your list I'd go Raleigh. Charlotte is def closer to the mountains but I like the RTP area more.

This is interesting and I'll check it out.
COSCAG67
AG
larry culpepper said:

Mr President Elect said:

Boise does sound like the next Denver. Or maybe the next Austin since it's still a pretty small city and has no pro sports teams.

I'm sure the locals just love all the transplants and Californians moving in.

Cali transplants seem to be a thing everywhere I look. Makes you think the real estate in cali has got to start looking better if everyone is leaving.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.