Where would you go?

7,015 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by gggmann
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For that original list, what do y'all think a families income would need to be to 'enjoy' that city? I'm in houston and oil/gas, so I know moving anywhere would probably be both a step up in some major cost and a step down in compensation.

Denver
Nashville
Orlando / Tampa (florida center)
Charlotte / Raleigh
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Phoenix
Chicago
Austin

For example. In houston suburbs. I think at around 100k-110k a year for married with kids is when you can start to say you're no longer treading water and can live comfortably. Thats by no means extravagant, but thats enough to have a decent mortgage, cars, schooling/daycare, vacations, investing in retirement, taxes. What do y'all think the general number for 'starting to get ahead in life' is?

I know its not on the list, but take San Fransisco. I think that number for starting to get ahead in that city is like 300k-350k. There's just so many people who have made so much money in tech that fighting for scarce resources like land, schooling, and good childcare is a losing battle until you're clearly a family of high earners.

Whats y'alls opinions?
The Pilot
AG
Maybe 200-250 for Denver? I'm really just throwing a dart here, number will vary for everyone as kids, private school, etc are all different.
knoxtom
COSCAG67 said:

If you had a young family, and the opportunity to relocate, where would you go? And why?

Denver
Nashville
Charlotte / Raleigh
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Phoenix
Chicago
Austin (I'm here now, but curious where this comes in)

I was curious where you decided to go?

I live in Colorado Springs, which I think is a better version of Denver, especially for a family.

I have these thoughts on your list...

Denver - not bad, but better for young adults. Hard to get to the mountains due to traffic, hot in summer, cold in winter, but lots to do.

Nashville - not bad. People talk about low tax burden with low prop taxes and no inc tax, but keep in mid that means the schools are terrible and there are no public amenities. If you want to raise your kids drinking shine up on the plateau with a bacon grease volcano over the fire, then it is awesome. I spent a lot of time in those mountains and campsites.

Florida - heck no

Charlotte - really underrated and not bad. For a big city there is some things to do.

SLC - torn here. Lots of outdoor stuff but just a weird place. Not sure I could do it even though I love the mountains around it

Seattle - just visit Seattle, don't live there

Phoenix - why would anyone want to live there. Its a super giant Flower Mound at 119 degrees. F that. Heat Crime and Traffic, choose all three. Only thing good about it is that every restaurant empties at 5pm as all the blue plate specials go home.

Chicago - Why would anyone consider raising a family in Chicago. Nasty summer and America's worst winters. F that

Austin - best city in Texas but that's not saying much. Its ok.

Of your list I would have said Nashville. 400k gets you a lot of house in Nashville and probably doesn't get you anything in any of the other cities on your list. You should also consider Co Springs, Chattanooga, Huntsville AL, and maybe Pittsburgh.

UTExan
Metro SLC/Ogden for sure. It is much more sane than Austin.

Not hard to get to mountains because you ARE in the mountains.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Repeat the Line
knoxtom said:

COSCAG67 said:

If you had a young family, and the opportunity to relocate, where would you go? And why?

Denver
Nashville
Charlotte / Raleigh
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Phoenix
Chicago
Austin (I'm here now, but curious where this comes in)

I was curious where you decided to go?

I live in Colorado Springs, which I think is a better version of Denver, especially for a family.

I have these thoughts on your list...

Denver - not bad, but better for young adults. Hard to get to the mountains due to traffic, hot in summer, cold in winter, but lots to do.

Nashville - not bad. People talk about low tax burden with low prop taxes and no inc tax, but keep in mid that means the schools are terrible and there are no public amenities. If you want to raise your kids drinking shine up on the plateau with a bacon grease volcano over the fire, then it is awesome. I spent a lot of time in those mountains and campsites.

Florida - heck no

Charlotte - really underrated and not bad. For a big city there is some things to do.

SLC - torn here. Lots of outdoor stuff but just a weird place. Not sure I could do it even though I love the mountains around it

Seattle - just visit Seattle, don't live there

Phoenix - why would anyone want to live there. Its a super giant Flower Mound at 119 degrees. F that. Heat Crime and Traffic, choose all three. Only thing good about it is that every restaurant empties at 5pm as all the blue plate specials go home.

Chicago - Why would anyone consider raising a family in Chicago. Nasty summer and America's worst winters. F that

Austin - best city in Texas but that's not saying much. Its ok.

Of your list I would have said Nashville. 400k gets you a lot of house in Nashville and probably doesn't get you anything in any of the other cities on your list. You should also consider Co Springs, Chattanooga, Huntsville AL, and maybe Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh????
RangerRick9211
AG
We ticked through a similar list this year after 11 years in Houston.

Spouse is an NP (need an MD Anderson equivalent system) and my firm is flexible on office locations - primarily remote, but need access to a major airport.

We wanted mountains, decent CoL, good schools (2 year old) and access to variety of cities and nature.

I did my MBA in Chapel Hill and we really wanted to make Asheville work and that was kind of our prime target. Knoxville was also a consideration given size, location and we have great friends there. We've been to Denver so many times (Epic pass holders for a decade) and always assumed that'd be where we eventually landed. We drove from Houston to Park City in November of last year to check out Salt Lake. I'd also checked out Boise for a week for a guys trip. I worked an engagement in Seattle that had me there for 6 months a year ago. I feel like we did our due diligence.

My job was a transfer. She applied to positions in Asheville, Denver, Seattle and Portland. She landed a great role in Portland and we've been here since June. We close on a home on Forest Heights in two weeks.

The media Portland is very different from our experience. At least on the west side of PDX. We're also coming from the Heights in Houston so no stranger to stupid city ***** We are yet to spend a weekend inside and have gone from snow to ocean in a weekend. We keep talking about getting up to Seattle, down to Bend or out to Coeur d'alene: but we can't tick the stuff off in our own backyard quick enough to get to it.

I hope you're enjoying whever you landed!
gggmann
AG
I lived there (Cooper Mtn in Beaverton) for 3 years from '05 through most of '07. You're right in that there is a ton of outdoor activities, but since you've only been there since June you haven't experienced much of the rainy season. It'll start raining at the end of this month and won't let up for any length of time until early July. You can go months w/out seeing the sun - that takes a toll on you or at least it did me. Plus it gets dark by 4:30-5pm in the winter.

That being said, the primary turn off for us was the people. I've lived in 4 states and 2 countries outside of the US, and IMO the people in Portland were the most unfriendly and standoffish folks I've ever met.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.