Moving Advice

2,364 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by histag10
Athendor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are moving to Blacksburg VA from Dallas in August. Would appreciate any advice on the cross country move. We have a 2017 Ford escape and will be leaving all furniture behind but we are unsure how to send some of our items that we won't be able to fit into the car. Also if anyone has some advice on the area we would appreciate it too!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AtlAg05
AG
If you stop anywhere to spend the night during the drive, get a big ass lock for the moving truck. If there is a spot where you can back it up against something that would help to deter any thieves.

UHaul has some clothes boxes where there is a bar to hang clothes from inside, I found those helpful.

If you're getting a moving company to move it for you, pack the necessities with you in the car so you aren't waiting on the other side.
The Pilot
AG
ABF upack.
CrottyKid
AG
We used the Uhaul pods to move to Kentucky. We found it to be very convenient.
histag10
AG
We did it ourselves when we moved to MT, and used ABF Upack moving back. Learned our lesson moving down.

Purge your house of useless **** first. We did this, but i still have a few boxes that havent been opened since our 2012 move. Obviously the contents arent that important to us, and i just need to throw it away.

Are you moving with kids or pets? If yes, build stops into your drive ahead of time to coincide with cheaper gas.
ec2004
AG
When we moved from DFW to Denver a few years back we got a storage unit and started the process of cleaning out the house probably 6 months in advance - it was a continuous process for us and we made a trip to the unit every weekend. This helped with packing for the move, also when we were getting ready to list the house our place was decluttered and ready to show.

We had small kids so we hired Texas State Movers for packing as well as hauling our stuff - I thought they were very reasonable and did a good job.

zooguy96
I moved from Houston -> Chattanooga. Then Knoxville -> Austin, Then Fort Worth -> Knoxville.

As mentioned, get rid of all the crap you don't need. Hire movers to load and unload. Drive the truck yourself. Back up against a wall and have a big ass lock, as mentioned.

I never had any issues at all. Of course, I just drove it straight cause I'm a dumbass.
Athendor
AG
Wife and I were fortunate enough to get a furnished place! This is great because it means no need to keep furniture. Any advice for shipping small items, books, clothes, etc cross country? Should we just try USPS or? Also wife wants to try and take everything with the car. Any advice on space saving tips? We have a 2017 Ford Escape and will be bringing a German Shepherd and a cat with us. We looked into getting a roof rack and a shell?
Tatem
You could pull a small uhaul

We drive thru the area a few weeks ago. It's beautiful
We loved last year to se Ohio
Winters here sucks when we get ice but last year se Ohio only had a few bad weather days

Good luck'
2PacShakur
AG
Sounds like most items could fit in a Uhaul trailer, some locations will even install a hitch to your vehicle. Just get a lot of boxes, and break everything down to pack into those, since boxes will stack/pack more tightly than anything loose. Like someone else mentioned, get a good lock that cannot be easily clipped.
histag10
AG
jkuneyl said:

Wife and I were fortunate enough to get a furnished place! This is great because it means no need to keep furniture. Any advice for shipping small items, books, clothes, etc cross country? Should we just try USPS or? Also wife wants to try and take everything with the car. Any advice on space saving tips? We have a 2017 Ford Escape and will be bringing a German Shepherd and a cat with us. We looked into getting a roof rack and a shell?

do you have a hitch receiver?

edit to add that by the time you get a roof rack and shell, you are likely close to (or over) the cost of a small Uhaul.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.