North Carolina?

6,577 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by champagnepapi
Post removed:
by user
BBQ4Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weather and scenery are much nicer in NC than in TX.

Cons: State income taxes; BBQ
Post removed:
by user
hoosierAG
AG
Your wife is right! Just moved to the Raleigh area in July. We absolutely love it here. Still the south, great people, 4 seasons but not a harsh winter at all, and around so many great things to do. Blue Ridge Parkway and mountains are incredible, Myrtle Beach and the Outer Banks are as well. 3 hrs from DC and a about the same for Charleston and Savannah. Can go on and on. Schools are great, as well as higher education. Growing and great jobs in medical, tech, and finance.

I don't really have any negatives to be honest except the state tax and its a little more expensive here ---most places are compared to Texas but it's not bad.

Happy to answer any more questions if you have them.
hoosierAG
AG
Summers are still hot. We had a lot of mid 90 degree days but some nice days too. Humid. They have their own style of BBQ that they are famous for and very proud of. Vinegar based and not a fan personally. Public schools are excellent in a lot of places--just depends on where you live.
ToddyHill
AG
I travel to Raleigh (on business) about four times per year....as others have said, it's a really nice area.

Let me clarify one thing...Raleigh is not two hours from the mountains (more like four hours west on I-40 to the Smoky Mountains). If that's your desire, and you like Austin, I'd recommend Asheville.

Either way, I don't think one can go wrong re-locating to North Carolina.
Potcake
AG
Wife and I spent a week in Asheville a couple of years ago and loved it. It reminded is of a small Austin in the mountains.
mattvswild
AG
We moved to NC a few years ago and live in Durham. We like it. Lots to do, and while it's not quite 2 hours to the mountains or beach, both are really accessible. The weather is nicer - not nearly as hot/humid as CS (though the locals here will tell you it's miserable), and you get fall and a mild winter as well. There is a great food scene here, too, you just have to have appropriate expectations. BBQ is all pig, and the Mexican is not Tex-Mex. That said, Chuy's is here and there are 1 or 2 places that do passable brisket if you need a fix. If you have specific questions let me know; happy to help.
MAS444
AG
Like any other state...it depends on where you live. Big difference between Raleigh/Durham area and Charlotte.
DuckDown2013
AG
Have lived in Texas my whole life (25 years). My wife and I just moved to South-central Virginia (20 min from NC border). We love it here!

Fall is awesome. Until you live here, you have no appreciation for it.

Close to everything-- we are a few hours from OBX, 4 to DC, 8 to New York (wife is there now, actually), 2-3 hours from multiple ski resorts, 6 hours from Nashville.

Virginia is an awesome historical state.

Love living in the South. Note: although Texas is geographically in the southern part of country, it's is not the South. It is just...Texas!
RabbleRouser07
AG
This has come up in our household as well. I've looked into the Raleigh area and I love everything about it. I am excited to get out of Texas and to some place that has trees and hills (not to mention that Raleigh is MensHealth #1 City in the US for 2016).

I was looking around for tech jobs and I am wondering if there is a good place to start. I manage a small analytics group in my current company and looking to do the same type of work. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Endo Ag
AG
We moved to Asheville from Killeen two years ago. Smack in the middle off the mountains. Half mile from my front door to Blue Ridge Parkway and great cycling or trail running. Twice elected Beer City USA with tons of micro breweries as eel as recently open Sierra Nevada and New Belgium breweries This town is turning me into a food connoisseur.

4.5 hours to Charleston and the beach. Fantastic summers and generally easy winters. NO traffic to speak of.

Aggies play 2.5 hours away every other year and will play an alternating east game every other year.

Don't move here without a job or savings though. Lots of highly educated tourism and retail employees here.
shihitemuslim
AG
The summers are hot and HUMID. Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh is noted to be the research triangle. I lived in Durham and there is difference between Durham and Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill reminds me a lot of College Station. If you like the outdoors, you can go white water rafting. The scenery out there is beautiful. There are tree everywhere unlike Texas.
DuckDown2013
AG
3 hrs from DC

3 hours is a bit of a stretch from Raleigh unless "Raleigh Area" means an hour north of Raleigh. However, having moved to Virginia from Texas last October, I love everything that is within reasonable driving distance.
AgMomofTwo
Used to live in the Research Triangle Park (Chapel Hill and Durham) and worked in Raleigh. Absolutely loved living there and yes you are close to great beaches and the mountains. Give a try...you will not be disappointed!! And come back to TX every so often for your bbq and texmex fix!!
Topher17
AG
quote:
Like any other state...it depends on where you live. Big difference between Raleigh/Durham area and Charlotte.
I've never been to either city, but I'm currently looking at locations I'm interested in moving to after graduation. What would you say are the main differences between the Raleigh area and the Charlotte area and what, in your opinion, makes one a more attractive option than the other?
brybry
My wife and I moved to the Raleigh area about a year ago and we love it here. We both have great jobs with about a 20 min commute (in Houston it was ~1hr).

We get a few days of snow every year; in fact that happened the last few days. It gets hot during the summer, but not like Houston or Dallas. I walk the dogs a lot and it seems to me like the temperature drops in the late afternoon compared to Houston; might have something to do with all of the trees.

By the way, I'm going snowboarding this weekend, Beech Mountain this time. Its under 4 hours from my front door.

When my wife got the offer, we flew here for a weekend just to take a look and we loved the area. If you're serious you should come for a weekend and drive around.
brybry
quote:
quote:
I've never been to either city, but I'm currently looking at locations I'm interested in moving to after graduation. What would you say are the main differences between the Raleigh area and the Charlotte area and what, in your opinion, makes one a more attractive option than the other?
MAS444 should respond too, but I'll give this a shot.

I think Charlotte is thought of as a hip city, sorta like Austin. I've only been there once. We went to the White Water Center outside of Charlotte. That was an awesome place. We walked around downtown and went to this fancy sushi place. If I was looking for that lifestyle, I could see the appeal. Oh! My neighbors recently drove there to go to IKEA.

Raleigh is a little less urban, but has a fun little downtown. I'd consider the whole area a little more suburban. I live in Cary which is a giant master-planned deal (similar to The Woodlands if you know what that is).
This is the capital and Research Triangle Park is here so there are lots of really good jobs.
Wife is an Aggie
Bumping this..... Wife and I are also playing with the idea of looking into Raleigh. I actually went to school in Charlotte but did not spend any time at all in Raleigh and really don't know much about it. We have some connections in Raleigh that are trying to lure me over there with a potential job opportunity that could also be a decent bump in pay. My wife stays at home w/ our 2 kids (2 yr old & 5 mo old). Outside of her 4 yrs in CS, she has spent her entire life in Ft Bend county and is very open to the idea of trying something other than Houston out.. Figure while our kids are young this is the time to do it.

One thing I am worried about is the housing boom & if we would be buying into a bubble.. Anyone have thoughts on the market right now? We would plan to rent the first year most likely but still interested in others thoughts on the RE market.

ZooGuy
AG
No idea about the market. I live in the Knoxville area. As stated before, pros = good weather (four seasons), trees, close to a lot of stuff to do. Cons - food (finding a decent Tex-mex place is almost impossible - I make my own), bbq, and it's not Texas. The Ags play close many times a year (in many sports), so I go to as many of those events as possible.

We'll be here the rest of our lives, unless I keep having to be a teacher....
62strat
AG
quote:
Twice elected Beer City USA with tons of micro breweries as eel as recently open Sierra Nevada and New Belgium breweries

And another CO transplant, Oskar Blues.
Something must be great about ash ills for two CO breweries to open up a second shop there.

I've been to biltmore when I was younger, and a few summers at a camp near brevard, and lake summit. It would definitely be on my list to live, but I'm happy in Denver for now. There are three gorgeous lake homes on lake summit that belong to the family, and my parents have been several times. I'd like to go again now that I'm older.
BBQ4Me
AG
Raleigh is a great place
sek92
AG
The franklin and La bbq guy is opening a place in Charleston so u can get your texas bbq on- can't wait. We r stationed at ft bragg forever so well be making that trip frequently!
FTA011
AG
Wife an I just moved to Greenville, NC. About an hour and a half away buy I'll most likely be working in Raleigh, initially.

Goldie Wilson
Bump.

Anybody have Raleigh neighborhood recommendations? Young 30s, no kids. Would like some walkable amenities, but don't want to be right in the middle of a big bar/club scene either.
BBQ4Me
AG
I'd recommend the area between Falls of Neuse and Strickland
Goldie Wilson
Anybody in the Raleigh area interested in getting together for the baseball game on Sunday?
Endo Ag
AG
Hit me up if anybody wants to sell one of those houses on Lake Summit.
champagnepapi
I live right by Pinehurst in Whispering Pines! We love this area. My commute to Fort Bragg is about 45 mins and Wife works in Raliegh.

Golf Capital of the State
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.