starting to think about relocating

12,353 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
The Lost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mpl35 said:

1600? Wtf did you get her? Wife's new Taco was 1/2 that in FOCO
I think you got her a **** taco. My year 1 f150 that was around $35k, was in the 800's year 1 in Denver. It's pretty easy to find a $70k vehicle these days
mpl35
AG
The Lost said:

mpl35 said:

I think you got her a **** taco. My year 1 f150 that was around $35k, was in the 800's year 1 in Denver. It's pretty easy to find a $70k vehicle these days
sorry bud it wasn't ***** Pretty high end because she makes bank and wanted the higher end finishes. Sad to say it was more than that before mods. Maybe it's county related? I'm still curious to what car was a 1600 registration fee
Fairview
AG
mpl35 said:

The Lost said:

mpl35 said:

sorry bud it wasn't ***** Pretty high end because she makes bank and wanted the higher end finishes. Sad to say it was more than that before mods. Maybe it's county related? I'm still curious to what car was a 1600 registration fee

Just went and looked and I was off - it was worse than I remembered - it was on a new Navigator black label. I was also off on my old (2010) Jeep. It was $60.

mpl35
AG
Damn. That's bad
JustPanda
AG
Have you looked at Conifer/Pine? It's GORGEOUS!
mpl35
AG
I would never discourage another Aggie from moving to Colorado. So come find a place and enjoy the outdoors
The Lost
mpl35 said:

The Lost said:

mpl35 said:

Technically as posted, it's the ownership tax people are *****ing about, and you 100% paid a bunch of it
mpl35
AG
Yeah. Ours was 800-900 when brand new. For a 40k vehicle.

Stupid that it costs 2k just because you can afford a nice loaded ride
ChoppinDs40
AG
mpl35 said:

any chance I could keep those registered in Texas for some time?
Chipotlemonger
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

mpl35 said:

any chance I could keep those registered in Texas for some time?
Careful, I took a few months to visit the DMV once I moved out of state and got hit with a *hefty* fine for telling the truth about when I moved into the new state. Still annoyed by that. Would've got my butt to the DMV on day 1 if I knew that was going to happen, but I wanted to get an appointment and they were a few months out.

Also, depending on how much tax you paid on the new vehicle in Texas, you may have to pay more in the new state as part of the registration, regardless of if you wait a month or 10.
MAS444
AG
That was my question... how difficult is it to keep registered in Texas?
Chipotlemonger
AG
MAS444 said:

Perennially? No clue. But sooner or later you'll need the new state DL and if you get pulled over with that and the Texas plates I think that could be a problem ($$). Some random neighbor may tattle on you too if you don't register in the new state.
Hoyt Ag
AG
When you live in a small community like me, the local PD caught on after 4 or 5 months and kindly gave me 30 days to get it fixed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

When you live in a small community like me, the local PD caught on after 4 or 5 months and kindly gave me 30 days to get it fixed.
Yea technically you could get away with it for a while. Depending on what town or city you're in YMMV (no pun intended). You go longer though and live in a bigger city? Think that could turn into a problem down the road.
ChoppinDs40
AG
so the math on here.. like 2% of the purchase price? gdamn that's steep.
The Lost
ChoppinDs40 said:

so the math on here.. like 2% of the purchase price? gdamn that's steep.

It decreases each year, until leveling off for 5-10, then nothing after 10. There's a reason there are a **** ton of beat up Subarus (and suvs in general) in co
YouBet
AG
MAS444 said:

I swear I've seen some guys on the Automotive board post ways around this. You might ask over there.

For the OP, I'm a huge fan of Boise although I haven't been there in several years now. It's grown quite a bit but if you move out to the northeast that puts you closer to Sun Valley while still being in range of BOI.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
Think it was some workaround with registering in Montana??
AggieOO
My father in law registers in Montana. He's always buying and selling sports cars and old boats. He's in Wisconsin.
Jock 07
AG
Back in the springs this week for work before moving back out here full time in a couple months. When the hell did this state start the pay for your bags at the store nonsense? What's next y'all gonna start taxing me on my beer bottles & cans. Was looking forward to getting away from this nonsensical dumbassery when I finally gtfo ca.
Fairview
AG
Jan 1 of this year. It's stupid. The grocery store is one thing but you don't realize how many places you use a bag and a lot of places just said f it and don't have any bags to buy even if you want.
JustPanda
AG
The car registration fee isn't that unreasonable when you factor in all of the upkeep for our roads. Like the above poster said it decreases each year but yeah it's steep for the first 2-3.

The flat income tax is rough but equates to where we were at TX in property tax.

Overall, yes the tax burden is heavier but the amenities and the draw to nature is well worth it.
JustPanda
AG
Eagle County was a paper only and a .10c per bag fee since probs 2015/16 so that law hasn't really had much impact up here since we all use reusable or just opt out of the bag.

Town of Vail, Avon, and Aspen are all Zero Waste so everything provided to retail customers is recyclable or compostable. You aren't allowed to provide single serve anything.
JustPanda
AG
In CO the DMV puts a hold on your license if your car is registered in state and have OOS insurance. They make you provide proof of residency OOS or change it to in state before issuing the new registration.

I had it happen when I moved from KS.
Fairview
AG
I agree that is the way it used to be but it's quickly changing and not the case anymore.

Insurance (home and car) and property tax used to offset the state tax and higher car registration. Both have gone up significantly in the last few years and property tax assessments are going up again an average of 70% in the valuation this year. I'm lucky to be able to absorb the impact but the Californiazation of Colorado is in full swing. I do agree it's a special place and no better place for kids to grow up. It's just coming at an ever increasing cost.

It's neither here nor there but Eagle county wasn't bag free until the law changed Jan 1. Some towns had adopted policies but for sure not the whole county. That law annoys the hell out of me.
HollywoodBQ
AG
AggieOO said:

My father in law registers in Montana. He's always buying and selling sports cars and old boats. He's in Wisconsin.
Does he own them through an LLC?

Otherwise, it kind of varies by state. I can register a car in California with an out of state license but other states I know won't let you register unless your DL is from that state. And of course your insurance has to match the state of registration.
AggieOO
Yes, but its very easy to set up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.