New Orleans for a first timer

5,019 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiedata
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amendment re: safety - can't believe I forgot this last warning.

My wife's 65 year old aunt works in the FQ and was carjacked at 5:30am this past week while parking very close to Central Grocery (currently under construction). NOLA is great, but there is still a very large feral ****ing culture there so keep your head on a swivel.
Take the trash out staff.
AustinCountyAg
you bring up a good question. If we decide to fly is it easiest to just catch a cab into town, or is a rental car necessary?
aggiedata
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

you bring up a good question. If we decide to fly is it easiest to just catch a cab into town, or is a rental car necessary?

I'm Uber-ing it. It's too easy not to. I wouldn't deal with a rental car and finding and paying for parking.
Potcake
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

We have taken an Uber once but since taxi rates are set for airport to FQ, we go that route.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't rent a car. You will not drive it, you will have to pay the hotel for parking or try to find one on the street. Uber or cab from airport. Uber or streetcar from hotel to wherever, if further than walking. Parking at the hotel varies, but will probably be over $30 x day.
Matsui
AG
Do not rent a car
mazzag
AG
Carousel Bar
fire09
AG
Like others have said, uber or taxi unless you plan to leave the city during your stay.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Amendment re: safety - can't believe I forgot this last warning.

My wife's 65 year old aunt works in the FQ and was carjacked at 5:30am this past week while parking very close to Central Grocery (currently under construction).

NOLA is great

The Chicken Ranch
AG
That's awesome!
scd88
AG
The procession from the airport to the rental car place is a beat down. Packed bus ride for 15-20 minutes. If you can avoid renting a car, that would be best.

Also, speaking of the airport, it's nice and new. The lines are long, even for TSA pre-check so allow for some time on the way back. There is a United Club and it's nice.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Touche
Take the trash out staff.
aggiedata
AG
Prepare yourself for the taxi line. Uber isn't much better even at $90
Total time standing in the taxi line on Friday evening: 1 hour 10 minutes

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.