Bora Bora recs

8,438 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by EliteElectric
Catag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love to hear some recommendations for a trip to Bora Bora or other unique tropical destination.

Thanks.
Ag CPA
AG
Here is my pro tip for Bora Bora; take a daytime flight from the west coast and stay at the Intercontinental next to PPT before taking the puddle jumper to BOB the next morning, will arrive refreshed.

And the FS in Bora Bora doesn't suck.
Potcake
AG
Bloody Mary's. Make sure you flush the urinal.
JMac03
AG
My clients stayed at Le Bora Bora by Pearl earlier this year and loved it. A close travel agent friend stayed 2 weeks ago and had great things to say as well. The resort was great to work with. I scheduled massages and a special dinner before arrival. They helped answer questions when I scheduled tours with outside companies.
breezecustomtravel
AG
I also have heard great things about Le Bora Bora, as well as, Le Tahiti and Manava Beach Resort.

I've had clients do split stay between Bora Bora and Fiji and they've liked Six Sense Fiji and Nanuku Fiji Resort.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
East Dallas Ag
AG
We went in August, our highlight was chartering a boat through https://moanaadventuretours.com/private-tours/ that took us all over the atoll/island for snorkeling, swimming with sharks/rays and lunch on a private beach. Wife and I both agreed it was one of the top 5 best days of our lives. If you go through them ask for Glenn, he was our captain and was a great guy.

Otherwise if you are on one of the atoll resorts, getting around isn't particularly easy, requires boat + ground transport on the island. We went to the island once for dinner at La Villa Mohana (very good, heavy, lots of food) and Bloody Mary's, kind of a must go but nothing special food or drinks wise. The urinal flush comment made me laugh.

Happy to answer any questions you have. BB is the most beautiful place I've ever seen, I'd go back in a heartbeat...assuming I had the points again.
Potcake
AG
Same. We were on a Moorings cat for a week. Left from Raiatea, Taha'a, and Bora Bora.
Deluxe
AG
Just got back from my honeymoon in Tahiti/Bora Bora last week.

Took United from Houston to San Fran, then caught another United flight from San Fran to Papeete (~8 hours). Generally, the long haul flights arrive in Papeete too late to catch a subsequent puddle jumper to Bora Bora, so you have to plan to stay at least one night in Tahiti.

We decided to stay at the Intercontinental in Tahiti for 3 nights. Partially because we'd never been/wanted to experience Tahiti and partially because it was significantly cheaper than our resort in Bora Bora.

In hindsight, I would have done 1 night (2 max). It's a nice resort but nothing to write home about. The vibes there are similar to other nice Pacific coast beach destinations. If I was just going to Tahiti, I'd rather just go to Hawaii or somewhere on the SoCal coast.

Bora Bora is another level. I've never been anywhere like it. The vibrancy of the clear blue water is unreal. Beaches are clear blue and calm, almost like pool water.

We did four nights at the St Regis (which I know is a flex, but wanted to be fully transparent). If you can justify springing for it, do it. You'll never have a better hotel/resort experience. First class all the way. Food, service, newness & quality of the bungalows, ratio of people to pool chairs, etc. They also have a huge lagoonarium of tropical fish that's incredible. I spent alot of time snorkeling and basically had the entire thing to myself.
Catag94
AG
Thank all of you for the recommendations this far. It is very helpful. We've been to the Caribbean and to Hawaii many times but never to Tahiti or Bora Bora.
Peter Klaven
AG
We did our honeymoon in Bora Bora back in 2019 and absolutely loved it. We stayed at the Intercontinental Le Moana which is one of the few overwater bungalow resorts on the main island. It's not quite as luxurious as most of the others but it was super convenient not having to take a boat all the time and very well priced.

I agree with the others that a night before/after in Tahiti is definitely the right move as well.
AustinCountyAg
is the water/beach in bora bora really THAT much better than what you get in the Caribbean? For what you spend in time and money to get on the other side of the world it better be worth it.
Potcake
AG
The snorkelling was excellent and we swam with sharks.
The peaks can be seen from anywhere in the lagoon.
CaptnCarl
AG
Recently did 8 days there split between St Regis and Four Seasons. Absolutely incredible. The island is gorgeous and the resorts are as good as it gets in every category. Best vacation I've taken.

I agree on flying to Tahiti late, spending night, then flying to Bora Bora the next morning. The resorts will accommodate you before the room is ready and you can enjoy the full day. We stayed at airport motel in Papeete. Same on back end. Fly out at 6 PM from Bora Bora then overnight flight to US. Full day at the resort on front and back end.

Do you have any specific questions?
CaptnCarl
AG

East Dallas Ag
AG
Curious which one you preferred between FS and St Regis?
CaptnCarl
AG
Splitting hairs here. I'd say they both have their pros and cons, but neither of them have cons. They're both excellent resorts.

We had a beach side villa at St Regis, which was extremely private. We'd probably do that again. We spent several days never leaving and did in room dining all day. The overwater bungalows at the FS are amazing though.

The lagoonarium at the St Regis was right behind the villa. FS has a lagoonarium too, but wasn't off the back door. We really enjoyed biking around St Regis. FS was a good walk to the bungalow. The FS beach and pool setup was amazing. St Regis house keeping changes the sheets daily and housekeeping twice a day.

We honestly really enjoyed splitting the time between both resorts.
HawthornAggie
AG
Another vote for St Regis here. I would also second the recommendation of flying to Tahiti, staying one night, and then taking the quick flight in the morning to Bora Bora for the rest of your trip.
OilManAg91
AG
For those who stayed at one of the island resorts (Four Seasons, St. Regis, etc) did you stay at your resort the entire time or did you make the trip to the main island to go to dinner, hit a few bars, etc? Just curious if making a day trip is relatively easy or is it a production that really isn't worth it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Following this. Starting to plan our 10 yr anny trip and am focused on Bora Bora, Maldives, or Seychelles
Ag CPA
AG
We stayed at the FS and took a boat "into town" just to get some fresh scenery, I would say it is worth it if you are staying more than 3-4 days.
OilManAg91
AG
Thanks Ag CPA. How long was the boat ride each way? And what time is the latest boat back to the FS, or do you call the FS whenever you are ready to head back and they send a boat? Also was it any problem getting around town in Bora Bora, did you use taxis or rent a car?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Are these prices real? St, Regis is like $3,000/night? Four seasons more? Jesus
Ag CPA
AG
As I recall they did a lunch run (left around 11:30 and came back around 2:30) and a similar evening run for dinner and drinks in Vaitape, cost around $30 pre-COVID (nothing is free at the FS but I think the trip is complementary at the St. Regis next door, could be wrong). Trip is around 30 minutes each way.

2-3 hours is enough, town is basically a bunch of souvenir shops, restaurants and a small grocery store, which is a good opportunity to get some cheaper booze and snacks before you leave. Bloody Mary's is a cool bar worth checking out with a short cab ride from the pier.

Other things to do on the main island include Jeep tours checking out some the WW2 installations, we did not do anything else besides some snorkeling that left from the resort but maybe next time.
EliteElectric
Following. Taking wife and daughter for spring break 2024 and will probably book soon.

**eta***

probably stay at Le Moana since our daughter is Moana crazy and it has pretty good reviews and is reasonably priced
c/o 09 Ag in FW
04aggiegirl
AG
We are going in September and for the first time ever, I am using a travel agent since we are staying in two spots in Bora Bora (Conrad and intercontinental Thalasso) then going to moorea. The logistics were giving me a headache so I outsourced it.

I should add that this is a bucket list trip since our 10 year anniversary (2 yrs ago) was spent in Galveston for Covid travel reasons.
EliteElectric
Booked! March 9th -16th, can't wait!!!
www.elitellp.net/

OilManAg91
AG
Will be in Moorea and Bora Bora over July 4th week and definitely looking forward to it.
htxag09
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

is the water/beach in bora bora really THAT much better than what you get in the Caribbean? For what you spend in time and money to get on the other side of the world it better be worth it.

Haven't been to bora bora yet but have done the Maldives, and the answer is absolutely.
TXAG 05
AG
htxag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Haven't been to bora bora yet but have done the Maldives, and the answer is absolutely.

What if you are perfectly fine with Galveston and Corpus beaches?
EliteElectric
TXAG 05 said:

htxag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

stop by Jack n The Box and score a couple of those .99c tacos for a great meal by the sea
www.elitellp.net/

TXAG 05
AG
EliteElectric said:

TXAG 05 said:

htxag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

stop by Jack n The Box and score a couple of those .99c tacos for a great meal by the sea

Nothing wrong with a couple slimies after a long day at the beach.
EliteElectric
EliteElectric
for those who have been, did you hire a photographer or did the resort offer it as an option?

figuring since this may be the only time we ever go would love to have some good shots to make into a photobook
www.elitellp.net/

StinkyPinky
AG
EliteElectric said:

for those who have been, did you hire a photographer or did the resort offer it as an option?

figuring since this may be the only time we ever go would love to have some good shots to make into a photobook
Take me with you and I'll photo-journal your whole trip with professional quality snaps. The naughty one's will cost a premium, but an option if you prefer. Only requirement I have is would prefer an aisle seat for the trip to/fro.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.