Seattle in July

1,796 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RangerRick9211
JohnLA762
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are heading to Seattle in late July. We would love any reco's for food/things to do. TIA!
schmendeler
AG
If not staying in a hotel, make sure your Airbnb has AC. Their normal summer temps are lovely but they have been having occasional heat waves in the summers lately that hit 100 degrees or more.
billyjack2009
Biscuits

REI

Museum of Pop Culture
94DallasAG
AG
Agree with Museum of Pop Culture. Along with The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village in Dearborn , they are the 2 of the coolest museums I've ever been to. And I lived in Europe for almost 4 years. Granted I was 8 to 12 years old at the time. .
94DallasAG
AG
I would also recommend touring the underground city. I had no idea that Seattle essentially sits atop an entire other level that once used to be street level
Marauder Blue 6
AG
-Always carry a raincoat or umbrella for pop-up showers
-If you don't have a car, take the ferry across to Bainbridge Island and walk up the hill for restaurants and shopping. Time it so you come back across at sunset.
-Museum of Flight
-Boeing Factory Tour and Museum
-Make a reservation to have a drink at The Nest rooftop bar at the Thompson Seattle hotel
-If you have a car, take the ferry to Bainbridge and drive to Port Townsend. The downtown area is cool to visit. You can also take the ferry through Mukilteo and Whidbey Island
-Ferry trip to Victoria, Canada or the San Juan Islands www.clippervacations.com
-Mariners game
-Biscuit B*tch
-Lowell's at Pike Place Market has a badass dungeness crab omelette
-Starbucks Roastery (skip the original Starbucks location and go here instead)
-Beecher's Cheese
-Mount Rainier NP
-Olympic NP and peninsula (skip Cape Flattery)
-Dinner at Palisade
-Alki Beach

RangerRick9211
AG
It's dry season now. Light jacket in the morning, but then I dump it for the rest of the day. We've had a very cool summer so far. Handful of days in the 90s.

I live in PDX, but office in Seattle downtown. My 3 year old loves the Central Library, but we limit our time downtown and bounce as soon as I clock out.

• Matt's in the Market for Pikes Market dinner (great view) or Pikes Chowder
  • Walrus & The Carpenter in Ballard has been great on a few date nights
  • Brouwer's Cafe for fries and beer
  • Brewery hop Bellingham

Bainbridge is a great recommendation. The views are excellent on the crossing and there's a few winerys to visit as well. Bloedel Reserve is excellent!

Over near Olympic are some oyster farms if you're into that. I could u-shuck Hama Hama oysters all day.

We've hiked a lot of Rainier and love it. Easy day trip.

Some other day trip ideas: https://www.raincitysupercars.com/singleday.
chick79
AG
My son used to live there and I agree about the AC. His house had no AC and we were hot for a couple of days on one visit. In Pike's Place Market go to Lowell's for drinks. Second floor and it overlooks Puget Sound. Dinner or lunch at Steelhead Diner. Best clam chowder ever. Space Needle is worth a try and the Pop Culture Museum is right next to it.
aggiederelict
Chihuly Glass and Garden is amazing. I was so impressed with what they could create with glass.
HtownAg92
AG
chick79 said:

My son used to live there and I agree about the AC. His house had no AC and we were hot for a couple of days on one visit. In Pike's Place Market go to Lowell's for drinks. Second floor and it overlooks Puget Sound. Dinner or lunch at Steelhead Diner. Best clam chowder ever. Space Needle is worth a try and the Pop Culture Museum is right next to it.
Steelhead Diner unfortunately closed. Was one of my favorite places, along with their sister restaurant Blue Acre.

If at Pike Place, go to Sushi Kashiba for best sushi in town by a world-class master. Try to get in front of Shiro at the bar.

I don't love the food, but Salty's at Alki Beach has the best view of the city.
DeBoss
AG
Will be there with kids in June before the Alaskan cruise. Any other suggestions from folks that went? So far we have:

Space needle
Artist Park
Chihuly
Pop Culture
Big ferris wheel
Ballard locks
Salmon ladder
Aquarium
Pikes market
LondonAg89
AG
Anyone do a tour of Pike's Market? If so, any recommendations of who to do it through?
Pro Sandy
AG
Was there in April with a fellow texager.

Pikes Market, meh. We walked it, bought a few things, saw some fish. I couldn't imagine doing a paid tour of it.

Starbucks at Pikes Market, we thought about standing in line to get a specialty mug. Thought about it for 5 seconds, then went to a french bakery next door, Le Panier.

Starbuck Reserve was pretty cool though. Not just a Seattle thing, but fit in nicely. Flavors and brews you can't get elsewhere, plus get to see coffee roasted and bagged.

Space Needle, totally worth it! Great views and the glass floor is awesome

I wasn't really impressed with Biscuit *****. It was good, but not what I was expecting given the rave about it.

Endolyne Joe's was one of my favorite places to eat. Neighborhood grill style. Mainly they didn't complain that we hung out for 2.5 hours.

Lots of parks and outdoor stuff.

Washington Park Arboretum was really cool.

Kerry Park has some great views, close to town, and fewer people.

My favorite was Olympic National Park/Forest though.
RangerRick9211
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Again, my perspective as someone that lives in PDX, but is in Seattle for work every other week: ^ is my answer, too.

Dedicate a morning to Seattle and then get out. North Cascade National. Snoqualmie Pass. Stevens Pass. Rainier. Take the ferry to Port Angeles for Olympic. San Juans. The outdoor sections are all distinctive and unique. You can't go wrong.

Sea Pony 07
AG
Space needle, mo pop, the aquarium and chuhuli are all part of a city pass discount. I did that and it saved me quite a bit of money for those 4 attractions. Though I thought the aquarium at the Tacoma zoo was better than the actual Seattle aquarium at the time for cleanliness of tanks and ease of seeing the animals. But that was a few years ago.

The day I went up the space needle it was crystal clear skies. Expect a long wait if you are not in a very early group.

I really liked Mount Rainer and Snoqualmie Falls.

I wouldn't bother doing a tour in pike place Market, just walk it up and down.
Pro Sandy
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Again, my perspective as someone that lives in PDX, but is in Seattle for work every other week: ^ is my answer, too.

Dedicate a morning to Seattle and then get out. North Cascade National. Snoqualmie Pass. Stevens Pass. Rainier. Take the ferry to Port Angeles for Olympic. San Juans. The outdoor sections are all distinctive and unique. You can't go wrong.

cdub06 put together a nice day trip for us.

Left Seattle, first stop, Quinault Rainforest trail. Swung by Ruby Beach. Then our big hike for the day Hoh River to Mineral Creek Falls. Brief hike for Madison Falls and a few stops for Cresent Lake. Burgers in Gig Harbor. Full day, but Best day we had in Seattle. My opinion at least!
RangerRick9211
AG
Pro Sandy said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Pro Sandy said:

cdub06 put together a nice day trip for us.

Left Seattle, first stop, Quinault Rainforest trail. Swung by Ruby Beach. Then our big hike for the day Hoh River to Mineral Creek Falls. Brief hike for Madison Falls and a few stops for Cresent Lake. Burgers in Gig Harbor. Full day, but Best day we had in Seattle. My opinion at least!
That sounds like a great trip. I'd only add an oyster stop if you're going the Tacoma/Olympia route, e.g. Hamma Hamma Saloon. We absolutely destroy two dozen u-shuck and a bottle of Pinot Gris on a late summer day.

I much prefer the ferry from downtown to Bainbridge, though. Just a preference from Seattle. But we drive the 101-to-5 home and know the area well. I'm Riding the Ridge in August and stoked for some more time in Olympic. Bummed the lodge burned. . Place was so neat.

Name a Natty Park structure with a better backdrop? Absolute bummer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.