Durango/Pagosa Springs/Telluride

1,330 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txags92
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to the area for a week on Sunday. Any recs?

Fishing, hiking, drinking, eating, etc.

I hear they're a little covidphobic and love their masks there, so I'm a little worried. I can't stand wearing one and don't enjoy being around militant-maskers.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
RachAg2007
AG
The mask order is an order issued by the Colorado governor. Honestly, if you are out fishing and hiking, and spending time outdoors, it shouldn't affect you much.
MAS444
AG
What worries you about the mask order? Nobody cares when you're outside away from people. Wear one inside or when you;re around people. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
turfman80
AG
We spent a week north of Durango and had no issues. Silverton had people wearing masks while others did not or used them as a chin diaper. Not a big deal.

Let me know if you want any recs on hikes in the Silverton/ Cascade Creek area.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
JB
AG
The mask thing is no different then so many other places. Wear it while you are standing, but not while you are sitting at restaurants. Dumb, but not something to worry about.

Steamworks in Durango for pizza and beer. I like Riff Raff Brewery in PS. Ouray Brewery in Ouray. Plenty to do in Telluride, but its probably getting on the cold side being October.

Get Alltrails app for your phone. Tons of hikes. Alot depends on your ability, kids, weather, distance etc. That app lets you figure all that out. The Ouray perimeter hike is pretty good. Telluride has a few easy to moderate shorter hikes that leave right out of town so you don't have to drive.

Might try the hot springs in PS. There is also a hot springs in Ouray in the basement of a hous/motel that is a littler different, but also kinda cool
Txhuntr
AG
Soak at the springs in pagosa. Definitely hit carver brewing in Durango. Their food is great too. The hike up to bridal falls in telluride is worth it. Telluride Definitely had the strictest covid rules of the 3 towns mentioned when I was there in August.
Furlock Bones
AG
Txhuntr said:

Soak at the springs in pagosa. Definitely hit carver brewing in Durango. Their food is great too. The hike up to bridal falls in telluride is worth it. Telluride Definitely had the strictest covid rules of the 3 towns mentioned when I was there in August.

Soak at the springs but bring sealable plastic bags for your clothes. They will reek.

Will take a few washes to get the sulfur out. I suggest running them in the wash a couple of times. Hang dry. If you put them in the dryer and the smell is still there, it will lock it into the clothes.
Austintm
Unfortunately, you will be hitting Telluride at the start of the Fall shutdown season. The gondola (which is free, and a great way to get up to the Mountain VIllage or down form there) shuts down Sunday. Some of the restaurants close this time of year - check to see what is open. Brown Dog is always open grab some really good Detroit-style pizza there.
txags92
AG
We were in Telluride in late August, and nobody was particularly militant about masks. Most people on the trails were not wearing them, but would either mask up or step to the side a way when passing each other. Walking the streets, pretty much nobody was wearing them except in areas where the sidewalks were crowded with people doing takeout from restaurants. Most restaurants were takeout only or had limited seating...some only outdoors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.