What are your favorite mountain towns?

9,479 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rlb28
haydland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lake City, CO
JB
AG
Telluride/Ouray

Could find a way to live in Durango and explore Telluride/Ouray on weekends. Pagosa is nice little town too.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Was going to say Lake City, CO. Been there quite a few times. We go every few summers. Haven't been in about 3 years so I guess it's time to go back.
StEdsCOOG
Looking at doing the following road trip next month from Houston. Leaving in the afternoon on 9/01 so I'm not sure where I'll make it to that night. Only the nights in Jackson are set in stone so any suggestions are welcome as I've never visited any of these towns. Thought of maybe doing either Park City or Steamboat for three nights and not the other. I plan on doing quite a bit of hiking and wandering around during the day and drinking at night.

Thanks in advance.

9/01 - Shooting for Amarillo
9/02 - Cheyenne, Laramie, or Lander
9/03-07 - Jackson
9/08-09 - Park City
9/10 - Steamboat
9/11 - Denver (Visiting family)
9/12 - Head back to Houston
ursusguy
AG
Polebridge, Mt
Bizbee, Az
Ute Park, NM
Granby, Vt
Meeker, CO
Gould, CO
SkiMo
AG
Buena Vista, CO is a favorite of mine.

- Endless amounts of huge hiking in the Sawatch Range...tons of 14ers.
- Natural hot springs at the base of Princeton just down the road.
- World Class rafting/rapids.
- Good breweries/restaurants.
- Hour and a half to Royal Gorge (more good rafting).
- A little over an hour from Breckenridge.
- Take beautiful Independence Pass (open only in summers) over to Aspen...only an hour and a half.
- Take beautiful Cottonwood Pass (open only in summers) over to Crested Butte, which is another amazing town, in under 2 hours.

Most people don't know much about this place...even people that live in Denver. It's a gem in my opinion.
Bachelor99
AG
SkiMo said:

- Take beautiful Independence Pass (open only in summers) over to Aspen...only an hour and a half.
- Take beautiful Cottonwood Pass (open only in summers) over to Crested Butte, which is another amazing town, in under 2 hours.

Most people don't know much about this place...even people that live in Denver. It's a gem in my opinion.
interesting choice....i have never been there but seems to have some good locational advantages....how would you compare it to Leadville? i thought it was a cool little town and quickly realized that it sits at over 10,000 ft.
RachAg2007
AG
ursusguy said:

Polebridge, Mt
Bizbee, Az
Ute Park, NM
Granby, Vt
Meeker, CO
Gould, CO
This is the first time I've seen Meeker on the Travel Board!
Hincemm
AG
Lausanne, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
SkiMo
AG
Bachelor99 said:

SkiMo said:

interesting choice....i have never been there but seems to have some good locational advantages....how would you compare it to Leadville? i thought it was a cool little town and quickly realized that it sits at over 10,000 ft.
I would venture to say that most people from out of state don't seek this place out. It always seems more like local CO people to me or people really into rafting. Browns Canyon on the Arkansas river is super famous...the most popular rafting in the US I believe. My friend owns a raft and we both used to live in Frisco so I spent a lot of time on that river.

I used to work at the Climax Mine which I'm sure you passed if you went to Leadville. 11,318 feet. Talk about some crazy butt puckering winter commutes. Leadville is very historic and there are some killer views from up there. But it's chock full of strange folks. Lots of drugs, etc. People looking to escape. So it's more of a pass thru town for me, but definitely has some great history with the mine and all that.
SwissAgg
AG
Hincemm said:

Lausanne, Switzerland
Great choice!
RachAg2007
AG
BV is such a gem! I usually head down there in the winter for a break from the snow. There is some excellent mountain biking near the whitewater park and I really like the midland railroad trail.
txags92
AG
SkiMo said:

Bachelor99 said:

SkiMo said:

I would venture to say that most people from out of state don't seek this place out. It always seems more like local CO people to me or people really into rafting. Browns Canyon on the Arkansas river is super famous...the most popular rafting in the US I believe. My friend owns a raft and we both used to live in Frisco so I spent a lot of time on that river.

I used to work at the Climax Mine which I'm sure you passed if you went to Leadville. 11,318 feet. Talk about some crazy butt puckering winter commutes. Leadville is very historic and there are some killer views from up there. But it's chock full of strange folks. Lots of drugs, etc. People looking to escape. So it's more of a pass thru town for me, but definitely has some great history with the mine and all that.
I am not sure if they still do, but A&M's Geology Summer Field Camp used to camp outside of Buena Vista up towards Cottonwood Pass for a few days to study the glacial geomorphology around there. We had a good time fishing the creek that ran past the campground and that is the only place I have ever seen a porcupine in the wild.
MCMXCVII
AG
SkiMo said:

This.

BV is a wonderful little town, although it is growing (the secret is out). Go there 2-3x a year and it never gets old.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Hincemm said:

Lausanne, Switzerland
Garmisch is the coolest place I've ever been. I was in the military and got to spend a few months there and was convinced I was going to get a job working on that little base when I got out.

The drive from there to Venice really isn't as far as it seems it would be....going through Austria and the Dolomites in Northern Italy was so beautiful it looked fake.
chico
AG
another Mexico option - Taxco. Old city, UNESCO-nomination, streets so narrow most cars are old VW bugs. Lots of silver jewelry, fantastic town square, bands playing outside, lotsa charm
Taxco
MAS444
AG
Taxco is a great town.
Pirate04
AG
Park City
Coeur D'Alene, ID

Went to Buena Vista a couple times in high school, I would be really interested to see what its like now
Slim Isle
Snow Mass, Colorado
Townsend, Tn
Ennis, Montana
Highlands, North Carolina
Martin City, Montana
Ponca, Arkansas
Jasper, Arkansas
Clayton , Georgia
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Mentone, Alabama
Mentone, Alabama
Rock City, Tennessee
Polebridge, Montana

Jasper, AB
SwissAgg
AG
Zermatt near the Matterhorn
Scotts Tot
AG
SwissAgg said:

Zermatt near the Matterhorn

Obligatory "username checks out"
agdaddy04
AG
Tell me more about Gould. It's not too far from us but never been there.
agdaddy04
AG
Pirate04 said:

Park City
Coeur D'Alene, ID

Went to Buena Vista a couple times in high school, I would be really interested to see what its like now

Coeur d'Alene Is beautiful. Went last October for work and definitely need to go back.
turfman80
AG
We love Crested Butte, followed by the Buena Vista/ Salina area.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
TailG8TR
AG
Salina......maybe Salida ?
TailG8TR
AG
Agree - Buena Vista is a gem .......and pretty much under the radar. We live just 20 or so miles and 2000 feet above it and it is our closest town.

Check out the South Main area and stay at The Surf Hotel. Very cool. Eddyline Brewery is legit.

BTW....unless you want to stand out as a tourist ( or just don't give a flip ), think about ditching pronouncing the city's name as you would for a Spanish word. Locals say it like "Bewnah Vistah"....or "Byoonah Vistah". It supposedly started waaay back ( 1879 ) when a woman resident suggested saying it like that would make people think of the word Beautiful. Locals often shorten it to Bewnie/Byoonie or just BV.

Anyway....now ya know.

Buena Vista
HollywoodBQ
AG
malenurse said:

Talkeetna, Alaska
Talkeetna isn't a mountain town.
I'm from Valdez and Valdez is a town surrounded by 5,000 foot mountains but it's still not a mountain town.

For a mountain town, I like:
  • Breckenridge, CO
  • Stateline, NV
  • Park City, UT
scd88
AG
I've stayed at the Mt Princeton hot springs resort a couple a of years ago for a week in the summer. Loved it. It's in between Salida and BV. Both great towns but I liked BB a little better.
Prophet00
AG
We just spent a week up at Vallecito Lake. Only 45 minutes to Durango or Pagosa Springs. Good hiking, lots of fishing on the reservoir. Tons of Aggies were there.
JamesT83
AG
strong second for mcall, cool little town. summer window is tight, lots of snow otherwise-
TshirtVulture
Tell me more about mcall. Planning on heading to sawtooths in a couple weeks and this wouldn't be too much out of way
malenurse
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

malenurse said:

Talkeetna, Alaska
I'm from Valdez and Valdez is a town surrounded by 5,000 foot mountains but it's still not a mountain town.

For a mountain town, I like:
  • Breckenridge, CO
  • Stateline, NV
  • Park City, UT

HollywoodBQ
AG
Just a pet peeve when folks from the Lower 48 get their Alaska confused
chico
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

malenurse said:

Talkeetna, Alaska

I rode in a tiny plane, short trip, from Talkeetna and landed on a glacier on Denali (a BIG mountain). It seemed like a mountain town to me....
JustPanda
AG
You can take a tiny plane on a short flight plenty of places with very high peaks without departing a "mountain" town.

High elevation doesn't mean mountain town.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.