What are your favorite mountain towns?

9,466 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rlb28
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interested to hear from some others to get ideas for places I might like to visit, but haven't been to yet. What are some of your favorite towns you've been to in the mountains? Places where there is a lot of local stuff going on, low concentration of chain restaurants/stores, mostly clean and well-kept, and of course set in area with lots of adventurous things to do. The kind of place you would really want to live if the situation presented itself. Some of my favorites...

Bozeman (although growing rapidly)
Durango
Bend
Golden
malenurse
AG
Talkeetna, Alaska

Moab, Utah

Conway, New Hampshire
MAS444
AG
Telluride
Drip99
AG
Creede
Durango

and my wife likes vail
txags92
AG
Is Moab really a "mountain" town? I loved it when we were there for field camp and want to go back...but it isn't what I picture for a mountain town.

Mine would be Crested Butte or Ouray.
Bachelor99
AG
here is my list in no particular order....although, i do have a soft spot for Aspen and Lake Tahoe...

Aspen
Telluride
Jackson
South Lake Tahoe
Mammoth
Flagstaff

i have heard good things about bozeman and bend but i have never been....
Scotts Tot
AG
I hear people talk about Idaho like it's great. Where are the nice places to go there? I've only been just over the border from Jackson Hole.
MAS444
AG
Sun Valley/Ketchum is really nice
Jock 07
AG
Steamboat, most friendly locals of all CO mountain towns by far*
Haven't been to telluride so can't speak for them
a.froman
AG
Just got back from McCall, Idaho. It is about 2 hours north of Boise on HWY 55. It is situated right off Payette Lake. Great time. Weather was low to mid 70's and lows in high 40's. We were there for 12 days. Boating activities on the lake, white water rafting about 40 minutes north near Riggins or south of Cascade. lots of hiking and mountain biking trails, lots of ATV trails too,about 3 golf courses. Town is solid with lots of restaurants. Not a bunch of nightlife or shopping but great mountain getaway.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Why no love for Park City? One of my favorite places.
TxAg20
AG
Park City has replaced Telluride or Durango as my #1. I was going to keep that quiet but it's already unaffordable.
MAS444
AG
As if it's some hidden secret?
Austintm
MAS444 said:

Telluride
This.
End of thread.
dubberage
Is there any water (lake, rivers) near Telluride?

a. froman - we love McCall. Almost bought a place 3 years ago but wasn't there financially. Well, home prices have only gone up 75% in 3 years, so big hand to face for me.
MAS444
AG
San Miguel river runs through the town and the Dolores River is very close. Plenty of small lakes but no large ones I'm aware of.
jammer262
Whitefish Montana
Creede Colorado
Jackson Wyoming
ToddyHill
AG
Asheville, NC
chick79
AG
Another vote for Asheville. The Appalachians in Western North Carolina are stunning.
Post removed:
by user
I Am A Critic
Stanley, ID
Username checks out.
drumboy
AG
Only been in the winter:
Steamboat
Park City

Curveball:
Galeana (Mexico) - located an hour outside of Monterey so close to the border and great dual sport riding in the area. Water fall, 'mountain' with a golf ball antenna and I've seen snow on in January, cool natural bridge and a large hole in the ground. Hotels are a bit cheaper too.

90 bull
AG
Tell me more, please. Safety, infrastructure of the town, etc
BlueAg2003
AG
Another vote for Creede, CO here. Cool mining history, tons of activities nearby, and just a relaxed vibe.
h1ag
AG
Waitsfield, VT
Jackson, NH
drumboy
AG
Not sure....and I haven't been there in several years but a friend from the valley still rides down there quite often.

It's a small town and we always stayed in a hotel on the square (this is what you always want to do when in Mexico IMO) and there are a couple good restaurants next to the square as well as taco trucks. I had a scare one night around 10 when got my head cut open by the ceiling fan and I was worried any clinics would be closed so I'd check ahead on that. I wrapped my bandana and TP very tightly around my head and it stopped bleeding at some point overnight.

They don't sell beer on election weekends in Mexico and it seems that we always went on some sort of election weekend but we were able to buy beer out of the back door or stores pretty easily. The election rallies on the square were good people watching.

People are nice and we got invited to a family BBQ one time that I regret not going to. I don't know conversational espanol and my Mexico buddy knows even less so we were apprehensive but I'm sure it would have been a great time. Mexican family cookouts are the 2nd best IMO, next to Vietnamese...but I'm biased due to my wife's family.

Hotels were around $35 a night w/ two beds.

Edit: It's not the most touristy town. I don't think there are tour guides or anything but I remember seeing those spots advertised somewhere. The sink hole or cenote wasn't easy to find and I remember going to where we expected it and there wasn't any signage. Finally we asked a kid working some livestock in broken spanish, 'donde es el pozo del gavilon?' and he pointed into the field. Then we drove down the dirt road and came up to the huge hole in the ground. No fences around it or anything.

It's my favorite mountain town due to great riding.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Steamboat Springs without a doubt
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

The Appalachians in Western North Carolina are stunning.
A very appropriate descriptive. Well said.
YouBet
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Stanley, ID
I'll second this.
katy91
AG
Just got home from a week in the Asheville area. Cant recommend enough.
dylan
YouBet said:

I Am A Critic said:

Stanley, ID
I'll second this.

I bet a drive along the Bitteroots would be nice from Missoula to Stanley!
Bunk Moreland
Steamboat
Jackson
Telluride
Santa Fe*

*does that count?
Ragoo
AG
malenurse said:

Talkeetna, Alaska

Moab, Utah

Conway, New Hampshire

really liked talkeetna
Wife and I also got hammered and took the train back into anchorage to catch a flight
YouBet
AG
dylan said:

YouBet said:

I Am A Critic said:

Stanley, ID
I'll second this.

I bet a drive along the Bitteroots would be nice from Missoula to Stanley!
Absolutely. I've done part of this drive. We summited Borah Peak last time I was up there as well hit the Tetons and Yellowstone. Drove all over that area. Amazing.
David Carr
Roaring Fork Valley so everywhere from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and all the towns in between.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.