Where / When have you cancelled vacations?

15,469 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lavender Gooms
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got through to Xanterra. We managed to get into cabins. It's not a room in the part of the OFI but it's a bed. Now I keep my fingers crossed that Grand Teton doesn't close.
dreyOO
dreyOO said:

We are still holding our 10yr reservation to Maui. Get there on May 31.

Holding out hope we can go, but obviously I'll be shocked if we can do a luau, do our boat excursions, make it to Hana, or walk on the beaches without masks on.

I'm in no rush to cancel. But I guess I was hoping we could at least reschedule for July or something. What does everyone think? Unlikely worth it this year?
And the governor just announced no tourists through May 31. So even if they do open up June 1, I imagine it'll be a crappy stay. Cancellation pending for this year.

Anyone have ideas for trips that are less jeopardized by COVID? I'm thinking maybe some countries will be quicker to open up or perhaps national parks?
TXTransplant
I'm thinking international is a bust for this summer.

I moved our Alaska trip to mid-July, and I've got my fingers crossed. The state seems to have new infections under control, and they don't have that many cases in total.

Governor has said restaurants and retail can open at 25% capacity and salons and barbershops can have one customer at a time.

Tourism is such an important part of their economy, I can't imagine them staying closed to tourists all summer. But, if they have another outbreak, it's likely to be from people bringing it in from outside the state.

If the 2-week quarantine isn't lifted, though, we won't be going. I can't be gone for a month.

I'm also concerned about flight availability.

You might be able to do the Grand Canyon or Smoky Mountains. Savannah, Georgia. Places where stuff has already started to open up (assuming they don't have another outbreak).

I personally wouldn't want to go anywhere too crowded, but I think that's what a lot of places will be, because people will be wanting to just get out and go somewhere/anywhere.
Fairview
AG
I think this summer is bust too. I live in the mountains in Eagle County where Vail and Beaver Creek are. They are starting to open things up but they are keeping it to permanent residents only. The town where Beaver Creek is opened their trails but only to people that live within 10 miles. The county health commissioner has openly said visitors aren't welcome which is crazy because the economy is based on tourism. I know the nearby counties in Colorado are also doing the same and I suspect will be the same across the country.

Last week I went back into the national forest which is technically open. They had a ton of roads blocked off and have put in fire restrictions and other stuff to deter people from going in. I couldn't make it passed 7 miles in.
Post removed:
by user
aggiejet
AG
Do you have a link about Florida beaches? Supposed to be going to Ft Lauderdale over Memorial Day weekend and have obviously been wondering the status of things in Florida. Just saw at lunch that the governor is supposed to release some details tomorrow, so hopefully that'll give us a better idea. Thanks.
Mathguy64
AG
Grand Teton Lodges are all closed for the summer. No Lake Jackson Lodge, no Jenny Lake Lodge. Nada. Their reasoning is their seasonal summer employees stay in dorm bunkhouses and they can't make that work with covid restrictions.
BSD
AG
mathguy86 said:

Grand Teton Lodges are all closed for the summer. No Lake Jackson Lodge, no Jenny Lake Lodge. Nada. Their reasoning is their seasonal summer employees stay in dorm bunkhouses and they can't make that work with covid restrictions.

I just got the email too. Looks like my Jackson Lake lodge room is going bye bye. I did rebook a cabin at Colter Bay. But that said, unless the Yellowstone lodges can figure out something for me, it won't matter. I'll have to cancel the trip.
Mathguy64
AG
We got rooms redone at Yellowstone. And they have said they are looking at opening more rooms.

We may try and just stay in Jackson for a couple of days.

Rebooking next year isn't an option. We have spots at Brooks Lodge in Alaska next summer.
dodger02
AG
I got the Teton email, too. Gonna wait to tell my wife. Teton was half of our July vacation along with Yellowstone. Probably going to cancel and just save up to go to Maui for Thanksgiving in '21. I can probably use the American Airlines credits we'll receive and apply those to that trip.
BSD
AG
mathguy86 said:

Rebooking next year isn't an option. We have spots at Brooks Lodge in Alaska next summer.

Yep. Same for us! I hope all this mess is gone before our Brooks trip.
Mathguy64
AG
BSD said:

mathguy86 said:

Yep. Same for us! I hope all this mess is gone before our Brooks trip.

Yeah. Imagine the people that won that lottery almost 16 months ago. That's gotta be a kick in the junk tolose it this year because the earlier they can get back in is in 2 years.
dcAg
Amsterdam/Belgium
Las Vegas
Lake Tahoe
Nashville
South Beach
Oktoberfest in Munich
Enzo The Baker
AG
Was supposed to leave for Korea/Japan next week. Planned out the entire week in Japan to do some hiking on Yakushima and around Kyushu. Then was supposed to spend two weeks in Seoul with the wife and in-laws after. Luckily everything was refunded.
Mathguy64
AG
Ended up swapping 2 nights at Jake Jackson Lodge and a dinner at Jenny Lake for 2 nights at the old Dornan's cabins in Moose and what like will be a pizza on the deck.
TexasAggie81
I cancelled my month-long trip Spain. Just made plans to travel throughout northwest Arkansas instead. Fresh air, beautiful scenery, stars in the sky, a week in a cabin, hiking, sleeping, reading, and whatever else comes along don't sound so bad. Spain awaits next summer. Hopefully, my espanol will be better then.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
I've cancelled a few trips thus far.

1. Cancelled April 25th - May 3rd (was supposed to be Mallorca and Paris)
2. Cancelled the re-booked April 25th - May 3rd trip to Maui / Kauai
3. Cancelled an Italy trip July 1st - July 7th, we were planning to head to the Amalfi Coast.
4. Currently have a trip to Singapore, Siem Reap, Bangkok, Koh Samui planned for late September / early October, but it feels unlikely.

Also - many work trips to Philadelphia and / or Harrisburg have been cancelled in favor of remote work.
FancyKetchup14
AG
If you head to Sevilla go to a place called Las Colonias and get the quail egg and bacon tapas.
AgCanuck07
AG
A trip to LA/Santa Barbara in June

It also seems doubtful that my marathon (and vacation weekend) in Chicago will happen in October
10Aggie10
AG
United just canceled my flights to Turks & Caicos in mid to late June.

Previously, Southwest had already canceled international flights.
mike073
Bachelor99
AG
Las Vegas & Lake Tahoe for the end of May and early June.....thinking about rebooking for end of september and early october....
arrow
AG
Since I'm 99% Scotland in early June is a no-go, I just booked Hawaii for July. Flights were cheap, and I'm more confident Hawaii will be open in July.
Leander - Ag
AG
We are going early July on American. Fingers crossed.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Yacht charter in Greece middle of June - cancelled. We can't even get into the effing country.

Always next year. This year? Mountains in Colorado or lake house in Texas/Oklahoma/arkansas
culdeus
AG
Have a Swiss/Italy trip that I'm just waiting on the flights to cancel in July. All the hotels were refundable.

Had Florida in June which isn't gonna happen either.
SwissAgg
AG
culdeus said:

Have a Swiss/Italy trip that I'm just waiting on the flights to cancel in July. All the hotels were refundable.

We should be open in the fall. Italy, I am not sure about.
culdeus
AG
SwissAgg said:

culdeus said:

Have to move out to 2021.
M.C. Swag
AG
SwissAgg said:

culdeus said:

Damn, the fall? So mid august is prolly a no go?
Vernada
AG
We had planned San Diego and LA for Leogoland and Universal with a road trip up PCH1.

Originally scheduled for first week of June. A few weeks ago we pushed to first week of Aug. But then SW messed with the flight schedule again and offered a refund if that didn't fit our plans. Decided to just cancel the whole trip until we can get a little more certainty on things.

Really sucks because my kids are the perfect age for those places.
Jock 07
AG
Has legoland or universal announced a reopening date yet?
Vernada
AG
I haven't checked Universal yet, but Legoland has not. (We didn't have universal tickets booked yet - just Legoland resort)
maca1028
Cancelled London in April. We have tickets to see George in Vegas in August, doubt that happens. Hoping we get to go to Charleston in October. At this point I'd just take a weekend in the hill country.
SwissAgg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

SwissAgg said:

culdeus said:

Damn, the fall? So mid august is prolly a no go?
August should be a go, but I wouldn't book tickets just yet.
EMY92
AG
United cancelled my return flight from Dublin. They rebooked me on Dub - SFO - Austin.

Really, San Fransisco? Then, when I tried to rebook online, they wanted a $490 change fee. I called and got Dublin - Newark - Austin for no cost.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.