Where / When have you cancelled vacations?

15,461 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lavender Gooms
lil99chris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Give me a call for your next Adventures by Disney trip. I am sure we can help each other out.
TXTransplant
lil99chris said:

Give me a call for your next Adventures by Disney trip. I am sure we can help each other out.

You know, I have my eye in their Japan trip for 2022 or 23. But after reading how they've handled this outbreak over the past few weeks (on Disboards), IDK if we will travel with them again.
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

YouBet said:

TXTransplant said:

I've posted about this in other threads - sitting on a Nat Geo trip to Alaska scheduled for June 3-10 that was paid in full on 3/5. I need them to cancel to get a refund. Called today and they said they are giving about 5 weeks notice for cancellations. If the trip does go, I will probably still cancel our pre-days in Seattle.

Leaving the associated flights alone for now because if I change something now only to need to change/cancel it again, I will likely lose my vouchers/credits entirely.

I would love to hear about this trip if you get to go. We get the Nat Geo trip book and they look awesome. And awesomely expensive!

For OP, we only cancelled a trip to New Orleans so far.

I'm not optimistic we will get to go, and we most likely won't be able to rebook this year. But if we do, or if we go next year, I will be more than happy to share!

We have not traveled with Nat Geo before (have done two Adventures By Disney trips), so we were really looking forward to this.

As a side note, Disney actually bought Nat Geo's travel business last year, so who knows what changed that will bring.

The trip we booked to Alaska is $$$, but the nice thing about Nat Geo is that they do have trips at various different price points, depending on what types of amenities you want.
We were eyeing the $90K per head around the world jet trip, but it was ~$5k over our budget.

Haha.
Mustang1
AG
TXTransplant said:

lil99chris said:

You know, I have my eye in their Japan trip for 2022 or 23. But after reading how they've handled this outbreak over the past few weeks (on Disboards), IDK if we will travel with them again.
. Can you elaborate?
TXTransplant
Mustang1 said:

TXTransplant said:

lil99chris said:

. Can you elaborate?

There were two trips scheduled right when the SHTF here (things were already bad in Italy and quickly escalating in France).

One was a trip to London/Paris. One of the adventure guides posted on social media they were on the way over to start the trip. Guests were asking to reschedule and ABD refused. Finally, they canceled the trip on March 11 (it was scheduled to start on March 13), but only because the 30 day travel European travel ban was put into place.

There was another trip in Australia that they did not cancel until day 1. Meaning, people flew all the way to Australia and met up with their group and guides only to be told the trip was canceled. ABD did pay for those guests' accommodations and one-way flights home, but that doesn't make up for the fact they didn't cancel sooner.

ABD offers European river cruises, but they don't have a boat, so they use AMA Waterways (which also operates cruises of their own). Guests booked on an ABD River cruise were seeing that AMA had cancelled their own cruises, but ABD had not cancelled the ones they chartered.

Also, Disney Cruise and ABD are two entirely separate divisions, but ABD does host excursions for DCL guests (that are crazy expensive). ABD still has not cancelled (or refunded money for) trips tied to cruises that were cancelled weeks ago. They are also being very strict with their 90-day paid in full policy and only giving PIF extensions for a few select trips. Meaning, if your PIF date is soon, they still expect you to make that payment or lose your deposit.

Several weeks ago, Tauck came out and offered guests scheduled on ANY trip for the rest of the year the option to either rebook for a later date or get a full refund. I'm not saying ABD should do the same, but people see that and are frustrated.

I have a sneaky suspicion ABD is trying to stay solvent. Most of the trips rely on vendors/tour operators in the native country, and I suspect many of them have already been paid. If ABD can't get a refund, I'm sure they don't want to give ABD customers a refund.

There are a lot of loyal ABD customers (we are talking people who have taken 10 or more trips and literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars) who are seriously questioning ever taking another trip with them again. The customer service the past few weeks has been really bad.
maroon10
AG
I helped my parents cancel their Boston trip for the Astros series in May. However, the credit showed they had until November 2020 (date of purchase) to use.

I thought Southwest sent an email on 3/20 stating the below:

"Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021."

Do they need to pick up the phone and contact SW?
07fta07
AG
Canceled Florida in March, Vegas in April. Still hoping my Pinehurst, NC golf trip is a go for June.

Have a trip to Cincy scheduled for July 4 and Seattle/Victoria end of July/early August. Moved Vegas to September. I feel better about all those happening, but who knows.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Was in Thailand March 11 to 14 but came home early, supposed to be there a few weeks. Will reschedule when safe to do so.

Slated to be in Borocay in September, but that is up in the air too.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
We have canceled a trip to Barcelona, Budapest, and Munich from 4/15 to 4/29...

Budapest VRBO is trying to pull a fast one after we cancelled and not give us our money even though we cancelled in time to receive 100% refund per our confirmation AND VRBO has since even released a notice saying our dates are covered 100%

Barcelona airbnb has a 50% refund....however, airbnb has dates until the day prior to our check in (4/15) as being 100% refunded and the owner of the airbnb declined our exception request....so having to deal with that today.

aggiepaintrain
AG
Cruise in July- rescheduled for next year
Nov- WDW - who knows
Dandy 76
AG
11-day cruise from Tampa to NYC which would have left yesterday was obviously cancelled little over 2 weeks ago. Took the 125% credit and used most of it to rebook on comparable cruise from Miami leaving May 11. At the time we were optimistic things wouldn't get as bad as they have. Fully expecting that cruise to be cancelled as well, so will probably wait until spring 2021 to try again.
JMac03
AG
Dandy 76 said:

11-day cruise from Tampa to NYC which would have left yesterday was obviously cancelled little over 2 weeks ago. Took the 125% credit and used most of it to rebook on comparable cruise from Miami leaving May 11. At the time we were optimistic things wouldn't get as bad as they have. Fully expecting that cruise to be cancelled as well, so will probably wait until spring 2021 to try again.
Who is the cruise line's? Carnival and RC suspended until 5/11, with 5/12 being available to sail (as of now)
Dandy 76
AG
JMac03 said:

Dandy 76 said:

Who is the cruise line's? Carnival and RC suspended until 5/11, with 5/12 being available to sail (as of now)
NCL - right now they are just suspended until 4/11, but no doubt that's will be extended soon.
JMac03
AG
Gotcha - I have heard NCL will announce later today the updates.
TXCityAggie
AG
Medellin for Semana Santa is not happening. I can't get out of here and Colombia is shut down anyway. Thailand in June is in doubt.
Post removed:
by user
JMac03
AG
Not sure if you saw the update, but NCL canceled through 5/10, so as of now it appears yours is still on.
Dandy 76
AG
JMac03 said:

Not sure if you saw the update, but NCL canceled through 5/10, so as of now it appears yours is still on.
Yes for now, but the fact that our final destination is NYC I'm still pretty positive it won't happen. Just gonna hang on and hope to get the max credit we can for a future cruise - will have until the end of 2022 to take it.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just canceled a trip to Wyoming/Montana for May 8 - May 15.
Post removed:
by user
CoolaidWade
AG
Leaving for Vegas for the first time in years tomorrow.

Not.
The Lost
SoupNazi2001 said:

Only silver lining is American is no longer charging the miles reinstatement fee on trips through May so you get your miles back with no charge. This is a recent change in their policy.
United is doing the same, so if our trip to dfw for the colonial gets cancelled we wont have to deal with that. Leaning it will, but holding out.
wessimo
AG
Cancelled a spring break trip to Banff.

Hoping to go to Nova Scotia this summer but holding off on booking anything.
M.C. Swag
AG
Already cancelled a trip to France in late March.

Currently waiting to see about cancelling a 2 week trip to Switzerland in mid May.
dodger02
AG
mathguy86 said:

July Yellowstone and Grand Tetons including reservations at Lake Jenny for dinner have been booked since Dec. keeping fingers crossed.
Me, too. I'm scheduled for mid- through late-July. I purchased trip insurance but I'm just holding out hope for right now.
SwissAgg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Currently waiting to see about cancelling a 2 week trip to Switzerland in mid May.
Our borders may not be open by mid-May. September is a better time to come anyways.

M.C. Swag
AG
SwissAgg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Our borders may not be open by mid-May. September is a better time to come anyways.

Yea I'm not expecting it to happen.
texican08
AG
I've got a fishing trip planned July 10-19 in Belize. I'm placing 50/50 odds on it happening right now.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Finally got around to canceling the Disney World trip today that I referenced earlier.

Oh well. Held on to the hope that this was an over reaction and the world would be ready to open by early April, but it looks like the world in general will remain closed for some time.
CDub06
AG
2 weeks in Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary at the end of the month. Booked everything on points & have recouped everything without penalty, with the exception of a $400 fee from United that I'm assured will be credited back to me.
gif
St Barts last week of May. Waiting a bit longer before I make a decision on that one.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
texican08 said:

I've got a fishing trip planned July 10-19 in Belize. I'm placing 50/50 odds on it happening right now.

I'll be there too at that time....hopefully, Southwest flight is $200 cheaper now than when I booked late last year
TXTransplant
I was scrolling through Instagram last nights and saw that Alaska Railroad has suspended routes until at least July 1. A ride on the Denali Star was a big part of our Nat Geo trip.

I've been expecting our trip to be cancelled, but it looks like it's going to suffer death by 1000 cuts as different vendors, tour operators, and (eventually) hotels delay opening for the season.
BSD
AG
Just cancelled my 3 May/June trips

-Hot springs national Park
-Congaree NP
-Cuyahoga NP/Niagara Falls/ Shenandoah NP/Washington DC/ Acadia NP

Hoping Kauai for July 4th is still a "go" as well as Yellowstone in August.
mike073
AG
We left for the Galapagos and Peru March 6th. Chose to return to the states Monday March 16 instead of continuing on. Arrived DFW 9:00 at night and no none took a temperature or asked about where we had been the last few weeks.
Gig 'em Aggies!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.