Most underwhelming tourist destination

18,545 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vernada said:

Mona Lisa
I agree...but as a side-note/pro-tip for the Louvre in general...

The Louvre stays open past its regular closing time of 6:00pm on Wednesdays and Fridays. Closes at 9:45. We flew into Paris on a Wednesday, checked into our place, and went to The Louvre around 6:30... highly recommend this strategy. By 9:00 we were in parts of the Louvre without seeing another soul besides the employees. Make the Mona Lisa the last thing you see before closing...no line.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

The little mermaid in Copenhagen.
You're right. Didn't even realize it was a tourist destination when I saw it. Though it was just a neat statue. Trying to make it anything more would certainly leave folks underwhelmed.
bthotugigem05
AG
Especially in such a great town like Copenhagen, I hated so much that there was a crowd of people around it when I happened to walk by.
P.C. Principal
bthotugigem05 said:

This reminds me. The mannequin pis in Brussels. It's just a small fountain statue of a baby peeing. That's it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The leaning tower of Pisa. Just tons of walking around taking pictures of one another doing the Thriller dance.

Seriously, it's worth seeing once, take your dumb photo, and move on. Oh and try to not get robbed in the utter **** hole that is the city of Pisa. Just get off the train, go see the tower and church and get right back on the train to somewhere better.
TXCityAggie
AG
Most of the beaches in Bali were very underwhelming...not to mention it's basically Cancun for Australians.

The interior of the island is another story, however.
SkiMo
AG
blindey said:

The leaning tower of Pisa. Just tons of walking around taking pictures of one another doing the Thriller dance.

Seriously, it's worth seeing once, take your dumb photo, and move on. Oh and try to not get robbed in the utter **** hole that is the city of Pisa. Just get off the train, go see the tower and church and get right back on the train to somewhere better.
Honest question, why take the time to go just for a picture of a leaning tower? Not being shady, just honestly wonder what the big draw is for people? I think I would go and be like, why did we waste our time here when we could be winery hopping in Tuscany or exploring the Dolomites?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Same reason most people go see a lot of places. They're famous because they're famous.
Ag CPA
AG
blindey said:

I liked walking through the town between the station and the church, sorry you got robbed though.
Petrino1
I was completely underwhelmed with Cancun and Tulum. Not much to do in either place, beaches were ok (lots of seaweed), food was mediocre. The one good thing is that its cheap and close to get there from Houston. I would rather go to the Caribbean.
Petrino1
Spore Ag said:

Totally agree with 4 corners. Your stuck and miles from anywhere. I have to put Buenas Aries as the so called Paris of the west it was delapitated buildings, tough tasteless beef and tired emaciated hammers for women.
Agreed about Buenos Aires. I was expecting way more when I got there. We went to the #1 Steakhouse in Buenos Aires and the beef was so bland and under seasoned. Brazilian steakhouses are way better IMO. Although I will disagree about the women, there was some serious talent there
drewbie08
AG
Venice. It's cool to see, and I went in the offseason, but damn there were sooo many tourists and it was incredibly crowded. I'm glad to have gone but it was meh.

Mona lisa is also underwhelming.

Grand Canyon underwhelming? Get outta here with that. One of my favorite places I've ever been. Simply incredible.
BSD
AG
So many fails here.
Silky Johnston
I actually thoroughly enjoyed Chichen-Itza. Did y'all get a guide or just walk around the grounds? I think getting a guide and learning something made the experience much more memorable than if we had just wandered around.
htxag09
AG
P.C. Principal said:

Bondi Beach in Syndey - It's very pretty and cool to see. But it was also very crowded and in general just feels overhyped. Plenty of other great beaches in Australia worth visiting.
We had a great time at Bondi Beach, sure, it's one of the more touristy beaches, but didn't think it was overhyped. I actually rented a bike in Sydney one day and road out to Bondi Beach, the climbs and views were amazing.

A couple days later we had an airbnb a block from the beach for two nights. Got to swim in the famous Bondi beach pool, which was worth it in itself, the pictures my wife took while I was swimming are incredible. But other than that, the walk along the beach path was enjoyable, weather was perfect. And the food may have been a little overprice as it is touristy, but we still enjoyed everything we had.
TXTransplant
SkiMo said:

blindey said:

Honest question, why take the time to go just for a picture of a leaning tower? Not being shady, just honestly wonder what the big draw is for people? I think I would go and be like, why did we waste our time here when we could be winery hopping in Tuscany or exploring the Dolomites?

I think most people don't realize/know what a tourist trap it is. I know I didn't. I didn't have any burning desire to go, but it was part of our itinerary. I had no idea how cheesy it was. To me, it's totally unlike anything else in Europe...feels more like a third-rate theme park or a replica that you would see in Vegas than a historical church.

But I think a lot of people want to go see it for the same reasons they want to see the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben - it's an architectural landmark. And the Tower and the Basilica ~are~ beautiful. It's just everything surrounding them that's awful (in full disclosure, we went on a bus, so I didn't have the experience of walking from the train station, just the parking lot).
AustinCountyAg
some of yall are taking my post out of context. Title of thread reads "destination".

Like I said I wouldn't purposely go only to Arizona just to see the Grand Canyon as the "destination" for the entire basis of the trip. I was in Vegas and took the helo there. Yes, it was cool and I enjoyed the experience, but as I said in my first post I am not going out of my way to schedule a trip for the canyon alone. If the family is in vegas, or Arizona for another reason yes we would go so I could show my kids.

maybe I am not understanding the basis of the thread

now...proceed to flame away
SkiMo
AG
TXTransplant said:

SkiMo said:

blindey said:

I think most people don't realize/know what a tourist trap it is. I know I didn't. I didn't have any burning desire to go, but it was part of our itinerary. I had no idea how cheesy it was. To me, it's totally unlike anything else in Europe...feels more like a third-rate theme park or a replica that you would see in Vegas than a historical church.

But I think a lot of people want to go see it for the same reasons they want to see the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben - it's an architectural landmark. And the Tower and the Basilica ~are~ beautiful. It's just everything surrounding them that's awful (in full disclosure, we went on a bus, so I didn't have the experience of walking from the train station, just the parking lot).
I hear ya. But to me, Pisa is a place you have to actually go out of the way to get to. Where as you don't go to Paris just to see the Eiffel Tower. The whole city is a piece of art. And Eiffel is the exclamation point. But I suppose if you're staying in Florence or around the area, you can make a quick trip out and back. I guess there are just a million places in Italy I want to see, and that's not anywhere close to the top. That's just personal preference though.

I do get that there is also the, "I've been there and seen that" factor which is different for everyone. I kind of like to think if I were at the end of my life, where would I regret not having gone?

We all have our preferences and travel differently, and that's how it's supposed to be. I could never travel with my sister, for example. She plans everything from morning till night. Would drive me insane!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

Quote:

For me, it is Mount Rushmore. I've been there a few times now and keep holding out hope, but it isn't improving.
They finished construction in 1941. What kind of improvements are holding out for?

My destination that doesn't live up to the hype is Fredericksburg, TX.
TXTransplant
SkiMo said:

TXTransplant said:

SkiMo said:

blindey said:

I hear ya. But to me, Pisa is a place you have to actually go out of the way to get to. Where as you don't go to Paris just to see the Eiffel Tower. The whole city is a piece of art. And Eiffel is the exclamation point. But I suppose if you're staying in Florence or around the area, you can make a quick trip out and back. I guess there are just a million places in Italy I want to see, and that's not anywhere close to the top. That's just personal preference though.

I do get that there is also the, "I've been there and seen that" factor which is different for everyone. I kind of like to think if I were at the end of my life, where would I regret not having gone?

We all have our preferences and travel differently, and that's how it's supposed to be. I could never travel with my sister, for example. She plans everything from morning till night. Would drive me insane!

I totally agree with you - it is out of the way. I skipped it when I studied abroad in college for that reason. If it hadn't been part of our guided tour, I would have skipped it again.
The Milkman
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Most of the beaches in Bali were very underwhelming...not to mention it's basically Cancun for Australians.

The interior of the island is another story, however.
By the sounds of the couple of Bali mentions people spent most of their time in the beach areas. Ubud was so beautiful and the opposite of underwhelming. Very whelmed.
wessimo
AG
P.C. Principal said:

bthotugigem05 said:

This reminds me. The mannequin pis in Brussels. It's just a small fountain statue of a baby peeing. That's it.

Unlike the Copenhagen mermaid, the mannekin pis is kind of meant to be a joke.
TXCityAggie
AG
Totally agree about Ubud and the surrounding areas . We rented scooters for a couple of days and had a great time exploring the interior of the island. The beach areas were nothing special at all. If I were to go back, I'd skip the beaches all together.
drewbie08
AG
I grew up in Boerne and while that area is very nice, I dont get the Fredericksburg hype either.
drewbie08
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

some of yall are taking my post out of context. Title of thread reads "destination".

Like I said I wouldn't purposely go only to Arizona just to see the Grand Canyon as the "destination" for the entire basis of the trip. I was in Vegas and took the helo there. Yes, it was cool and I enjoyed the experience, but as I said in my first post I am not going out of my way to schedule a trip for the canyon alone. If the family is in vegas, or Arizona for another reason yes we would go so I could show my kids.

I would totally purposely make a trip to Arizona and the Grand Canyon. One of the most "wow, I feel incredibly insignificant moments" in my life.

I went in early April and it was 29 degrees and snowing at the rim the day before we hiked. The temp at the river in the canyon was 82 degrees. The 18 mile, 10 hour hike was my favorite hike I've ever done. I cant wait to go back.
The Lost
AustinCountyAg said:

Quote:

What is your most underwhelming tourist destination? That place you were excited to go to and then you got there and found it was no where near the hype you expected?
Well I'll flame you for only reading the title and not the actual post, which wasn't TLDR. It doesn't sound like you were excited to go nor did it not live up to hype.

And the grand canyon is awesome.
texasaggie04
AG
Mine is Costa Rica. I'd heard so many good things, I think I had unusually high expectations. And it was fine, but that's it.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Probably not popular but Hong Kong for me. Great food and Kowloon is cool. But just another big international city. Would probably put 8-10 big Asian cities ahead of it.

Also agree with Bali to a point. But the interior and more secluded Amed (good diving) should not be overlooked.
YouBet
AG
drewbie08 said:

I grew up in Boerne and while that area is very nice, I dont get the Fredericksburg hype either.
By itself, I could possibly agree, but most people use it as base camp for exploring the surrounding area and hitting wineries. We usually go every other year or so and love it for that. It also has one of the best dining experiences we've ever had.
Pro Sandy
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Quote:

For me, it is Mount Rushmore. I've been there a few times now and keep holding out hope, but it isn't improving.
They finished construction in 1941. What kind of improvements are holding out for?
Animatronics. Maybe lease it to Disney and see if they can improve on it.
Jock 07
AG
San Francisco is a ****hole. And the Golden Gate Bridge, it's a bridge who gives a ****
Big Al 1992
AG
Stonehenge.

Growing up watching "In Search Of" and it was always on the beginning credits of the show. Couldn't wait to see this huge stone mystery.

Driving to it I thought you'd see the silhouette in the distance - like Kyle Field before you enter College Station.

Really thought it was a model of the real one - stepped over a chain link fence, walked around for 5-10 minutes, tried to avoid 10 tour busses. And that was it.
FbgTxAg
AG
drewbie08 said:

TexasAggie008
AG
Any place that has any combo of dicks last resort / bubba gump shrimp / Joe's Crab Shack / Hard Rock Cafe / Margaritaville / rainforest cafe

Times Square , Hollywood star walk, parts of the strip / river walk are good examples...
schmendeler
AG
mine has to be san Francisco.

food was not great. I did a ton of research of top places and none of them impressed me when we went.

the public transportation was incredibly slow. might be better now to get around as lyft and uber were in their very beginnings when we last went and I had no idea what those cars with pink mustaches were.

Alcatraz was a bit of a let down for me. I thought eastern state in philly was much cooler.

I smelled more piss and human **** in SF (all over the city) than I did on bourbon street at 2am.
bums and people drugged out everywhere.

the weather is quirky, but not in a good way.

the actual geography of the area with the hills and views and bridges is incredible, but the rest was meh.

I enjoyed the Sonoma and Napa and even Sausalito better than "the city"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.