Most underwhelming tourist destination

18,506 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is your most underwhelming tourist destination? That place you were excited to go to and then you got there and found it was no where near the hype you expected?

For me, it is Mount Rushmore. I've been there a few times now and keep holding out hope, but it isn't improving.

Last time I was there was June 2019. We were on a cross-country trip from Maryland to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore was our first big highlight of the American West. As we entered the state of South Dakota from Iowa, we stopped at the visitor center for a bathroom break. Talking to the lady at the counter, she told us all the great things to see across the state, mainly the Corn Palace. Telling her we were going to Mount Rushmore, she said the lighting ceremony was worth going to. During the summer, the ceremony was at 9PM. We flew across the country at 85 MPH with a ginormous duffel bag on top of the car causing us to get horrible gas mileage.

We arrived just minutes before the ceremony and rush across the parking lot to get a spot to watch this spectacle. At 9PM, the lighting ceremony started. A park ranger gave a short talk expounding on President John F Kennedy's remarks in his inaugural address, Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. He talked about how the 4 Presidents on the rock before us as done just that. He closed asking us to do the same, including those who weren't American. We sang the National Anthem and then, the big moment arrived. The lighting of the faces.

That's it. Some white spotlights washing out any detail of the faces.

Mount Rushmore is not impressive.

You drive out all that way and it's just some faces, an incomplete carving in the mountain. And the lighting ceremony, well, maybe they should look into something like they do at Stone Mountain in Georgia. George Washington talking to us might make it pretty worthwhile.

Now don't get me wrong, Custer SP is great and I love the Black Hills, but Mount Rushmore, #notimpressed.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Plymouth Rock
CS78
Las Vegas
Vernada
AG
Mona Lisa
AustinCountyAg
Grand Canyon- it was cool, and glad I've been able to see it as well as take the helicopter ride inside it etc, however I will never be taking my family there specifically for the reason of seeing it. If you're not in the immediate area I would never go out of my way to look at it.

Vegas- been several times and it gets worse each time. Granted I don't enjoy gambling, but the atmosphere, people, etc are not my style at all.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Chichen-Itza in Mexico - one of the "world wonders." It's an ancient Maya site that is, frankly, not that great. I think some of it had to do with the fact I had previously been to Tikal, also a very well preserved Maya site in Guat, and it's a really cool place.

If you're in Mexico and want to see some badass ruins, go to Palenque.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Old Faithful

Just watch a YouTube video of old faithful on your way to somewhere else.
gggmann
AG
Four Corners- no reason to go there.
AggieOO
SoupNazi2001 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Grand Canyon- it was cool, and glad I've been able to see it as well as take the helicopter ride inside it etc, however I will never be taking my family there specifically for the reason of seeing it. If you're not in the immediate area I would never go out of my way to look at it.

Vegas- been several times and it gets worse each time. Granted I don't enjoy gambling, but the atmosphere, people, etc are not my style at all.

Wow the Grand Canyon is incredible but the best way to experience it is to hike into it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Unless you've been in it, on foot, you haven't experienced it. And I'm not talking about walking a half mile down bright Angel and back.

Rafting it would also be acceptable.
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
Vernada said:

Mona Lisa

Agree with this completely.

Also, I wasn't specifically looking forward to it, but we stoped at the Leaning Tower of Pisa as part of a group trip to Italy. What a tourist trap! I was not impressed. But we have the obligatory family pic of us holding up the tower.
Ag CPA
AG
Bali. Has some great culture to explore but the island itself is a dump, trash in the water along the beaches, terrorist concerns, "Bali-belly"...

Will add that some of the nicest people on Earth are in Bali FWIW.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Spent a month there and have to agree re: the water. Depending on the time of the year and the currents it can be a shame. I'd go surfing and fill my shorts up with trash to take to the bin.

Awesome culture and pace of of life, even better people. But a Horrible trash problem from Java next door.
YouBet
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

YouBet
AG
I have more but the first that came to mind was the Statue of Liberty. We were there in 1987(?) when it was being restored. The elevators were not operational so everyone had to ascend using a very tight spiral staircase. We spent an hour or two(?) climbing those stairs to get to the top only to literally be pushed right back down the stairs because it was so crowded in such a small space that there was no room for anyone to actually get off the stairs. I never even got to look out of the tiny ass windows in her head.
The Pilot
AG
Marfa. I just don't get it.

Big bend was really cool though.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
gggmann said:

Four Corners- no reason to go there.

nonameag99
Branson
Matsui
AG
Hollywood
San Antonio riverwalk
Santa Monica Piet
YouBet
AG
Monterrey, California specifically Cannery Row. Complete trashy tourist trap. The aquarium is at the end of the pier which I know is supposed to be amazing but getting to it is highly disappointing.
BrazosBendHorn
The Great Salt Lake (which we visited in the 1970s when I was a young teen).
You can easily float in the water because of the high salinity, whee. The thrill wears off in about 2 minutes. I was glad to get back to the hotel in SLC.
(oh yeah, my parents were content to stay on shore while I experienced the thrill of floating in salt water)
Hoyt Ag
AG
Puerto Rico
YouBet
AG
Also, the Alamo. Pretty disappointed to discover there was no basement.
Spore Ag
Totally agree with 4 corners. Your stuck and miles from anywhere. I have to put Buenas Aries as the so called Paris of the west it was delapitated buildings, tough tasteless beef and tired emaciated hammers for women.
Matsui
AG
Yup. Couldn't agree more.
chick79
AG
Salem, Mass.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Martha's Vineyard
JMac03
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Chichen-Itza in Mexico - one of the "world wonders." It's an ancient Maya site that is, frankly, not that great. I think some of it had to do with the fact I had previously been to Tikal, also a very well preserved Maya site in Guat, and it's a really cool place.

If you're in Mexico and want to see some badass ruins, go to Palenque.
You aren't kidding. I mean it was a little neat, but it was hotter than hades and spending hours on a bus to get there was not worth it.
P.C. Principal
Hollywood - just a bunch of tacky souvenir shops and overpriced restaurants. Walk of fame is neat for a few minutes and that's it.

Changing of the Guard in London - meh. boring.

Bondi Beach in Syndey - It's very pretty and cool to see. But it was also very crowded and in general just feels overhyped. Plenty of other great beaches in Australia worth visiting.
Apache
AG
Went to Monterrey a few years ago & honestly don't even remember Cannery Row. The Aquarium was out of this world & the surrounding coastline spectacular.

YouBet
AG
Apache said:

Went to Monterrey a few years ago & honestly don't even remember Cannery Row. The Aquarium was out of this world & the surrounding coastline spectacular.

Probably because it sucks and you purged it. We still want to hit the aquarium.
Out in Left Field
AG
The Lost
Out in Left Field said:

I'm assuming he's not gonna like the reply's.
bthotugigem05
AG
The little mermaid in Copenhagen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.