Grand Cayman

12,318 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Texas Ag Mom
DD88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't seen a Grand Cayman specific topic except for the one focused on fishing in the Outdoors forum.

We are considering going in August.

Better packages were with the Comfort Suites, Sunshine, Grand Cayman Marriott, and Margaritaville Beach Resorts.

We were looking at snorkeling, hiking, botanical gardens, and butterflies and maybe fishing.

Any suggestions or warnings of things to avoid are appreciated.

TitanAGGIE09
AG
Watching this one. Fly out next weekend!
lil99chris
AG
We stayed at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort in December 2017. It is a couple hotels down from Caribbean Margaritaville Resort. The food at the Marriott was good and everyone was very nice (actually everyone on the island is fantastic). The hurricane jacked up the beach when we were there, but I imagine it has been rebuilt.

We did not need a car. Taxis were easy and much cheaper than renting a vehicle.

Remember....the island shuts down on Sundays (which is ok.....Marriott has a great brunch).

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2906855

...be sure to check out Casanovas and Chicken Chicken.

We took a boat (from the mall area) to Starfish Point (it is a great experience). We used Red Sail Sports to go to Stingray City. They did a great job (and the catamaran wasn't too crowded).
Texas Ag Mom
We like renting an ocean front condo on north SMB. More bang for your buck than the hotels. We also rent a car so we can explore the entire island on our own.
DD88
AG
A couple more threads that I found through DuckDuckGo since the TexAgs search is limited to one year:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2946779

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2925470
gindaloon
AG
Sunshine is across the street from the beach so not ideal. However the Sunshine Grill on the property is a great lunch spot.
malenurse
AG
DD88 said:

A couple more threads that I found through DuckDuckGo since the TexAgs search is limited to one year:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2946779

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2925470
You can easily search farther back by changing the search parameters. Tons of Cayman threads.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
DD88
AG
My Texags search maxes out at "Posted in the last year".
Perhaps a subscription extends this further.
JMac03
AG
You also may check out the Wyndham, I think they also offer all-inclusive like Margaritaville does. I generally find bundling flight and hotels together will save more money.

And feel free to PM or email me (link in profile) and I'll be happy to check and see if I can save you any money.
tamc93
AG
JMac03 said:

You also may check out the Wyndham, I think they also offer all-inclusive like Margaritaville does. I generally find bundling flight and hotels together will save more money.

And feel free to PM or email me (link in profile) and I'll be happy to check and see if I can save you any money.
+1 for JMac - did a great job for us on a recent trip to Europe.

We are actually looking at going over the holidays...so following.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
JMac03
AG
tamc93 said:

JMac03 said:

+1 for JMac - did a great job for us on a recent trip to Europe.

We are actually looking at going over the holidays...so following.
Awww thank you for the kind words!
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Anyone played golf at the Ritz? Looks like the better of the 2
Burn-It
AG
It sounds like you want a resort type location on SMB. We rented a house, but met with some friends at the Marriot. It was nice, they had a ton of stuff to do on the beach and had some nice talent around the pool . . .

The best thing we did was to charter a boat for our group of 10 to snorkel at a few reefs, go to starfish beach, grab lunch, then play with the stingrays.

We also had a good time at the turtle preserve and checked out almost all of the attractions the island has to offer. We liked GC, but probably wont go back anytime soon.
AKA 13-0
Kool
AG
How about diving options. Will be therein about a month, and I haven't been there in over a decade
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gindaloon
AG
The Ritz course is fine. I personally did not think it was worth the $200 green fee. That fee was in March. It could be less during the summer but I have no idea.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Ya, it's $145 now. Just trying to gauge if I want to take my clubs or not. Me playing golf will equal more time my wife spends at the Spa so it could be costly.
ExtremelyRightWing
AG
Living the Dream diving is fantastic.
ExtremelyRightWing
AG
Rent a condo. North SMB is quiet and good value. Check out London House, Anchorage, or Renaissance. But, up north getting a car is ideal. Central SMB is nice, slightly more populated but you could do without a car. I wouldn't say GC is good for hiking and haven't ever heard of butterflies?? Diving is stellar, if you don't dive, great snorkeling. Stingray city is sort of first time
must do.
ntxaggie
Consider the cruise ship docking schedule when planning, their excursions will be to the same tourist spots and the shopping area will be a zoo when ships are in port. You can get the calendar on the Cayman Port Authority website.

We prefer Northside and East End, so we rent a car, they are pretty cheap.

Haven't seen Bio Bay mentioned, better viewing if you get in the water rather than glass bottom boat or kayak, and if getting in the water, go with a company that provides a wet suit to protect from jellyfish.

If going to the botanical gardens, consider the iguana tour.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Booked a trip yesterday to head to GC next Monday! Staying at the Westin. We aren't "hang out by the pool/beach and never leave the resort" travelers but on this trip with two toddlers we might not leave the property.

Just needed an easy vacation before my wife goes back to work and we found flights in miles that were reasonable.
nosoupforyou
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Just needed an easy vacation before my wife goes back to work and we found flights in miles that were reasonable.
tell me more about this please... figured you would have to book it 6-12 months in advance to get a good miles rate - was this shorter notice? what airline and miles program?

Appreciate it!
ChipFTAC01
AG
United for 35k. We're going Mon->Sat. I think the Thursday/Friday return legs were 40k each so we shifted to a Monday departure instead of a Sunday.
nosoupforyou
AG
wow - that's pretty good! How far out in advance did you find that?

Does United have Grand Cayman as kind of a hub so flights there were more reasonable?

I'm looking for a way to get my family of 6 out to the Caribbean to snorkel, etc, but struggling to find the best place..
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wife found the 35k miles on Saturday and we booked them in Sunday. Travel next Monday the 29th.
a.froman
AG
We booked a house on Rum Point and rented a car. Rum Point is very good. Our house was in a little subdvision of houses and had its own pool as well.Has a Red Sail sports right there that has all your water sports. The car allowed us to explore all the island. It is a little ways away from Georgetown and the Turtle farm along Seven Mile but not too bad. Lots of really good places to rent on the Rum Point side of the island. The thing is that you don't have the hotel convenience which is a plus or minus based on the person. Recommend Tukka for dinner if you can get to the east side of the island.
Texas Ag Mom
I love to visit Rum Point but it feels pretty secluded to me. That is why I love north SMB. Away from crowds but easy to get to a variety of restaurants.
AG Custom
AG
Took the family there this June and we stayed in a VRBO home near Rum Point. Rented a car and only took about 1/2 a day to adjust to driving on the wrong side of the road with all the round abouts.

Rum Point is awesome if you dont want to be around crowds. You can go to the beach at Rum Point and they have great swimming areas, drinks, food, etc and it is free to use. There is a great reef about 200 yards out from Rum Point and you can get dive flags from the shop at Rum Point to head out. We would go there in the morning and no one was there and we left around 11:30am to head back to eat at house and take a nap, and then we would go back in afternoon. I dont think we ever saw more than 20 people at that area even during "peak times of day".

You can also easily go to Star Fish Point from here where you can walk around in waist deep water and find hundreds of Star Fish. Kids had a blast doing this. it is over by Kaibo which is where the road ends on the island in that direction. Bio-luminescent bay is also there which can be pretty cool as well.

We took private charter to Sting Ray City - awesome experience and was neat because we got there before all the cruise ship excursions. We had probably 30-40 huge rays around us that we got to feed, pet and hold. As we were leaving probably 15-20 boats were coming in and our captain said it gets insane as the day goes on. Then we did some snorkeling and a few reefs. The snorkeling there is actually really good with water clarity, abundance of fish, and beautiful coral.

We did one day trip to Georgetown and didnt car for it overall. It is very populated and super busy. Downtown has lots of shops (mostly junk souvenir style) and parking is limited. Cruise ships crowds most of the days of the week. Seven mile beach is near there and while crowded, it is very very pretty. Basically looks like a giant swimming pool with clear water and white sand beaches. Glad we went, but i dont do well with big crowds so we only did that one day.

Our house was very nice, right on the beach and we could go straight out and swim, kayak, snorkel, etc. Felt completely safe on the island, although i will say speed limits are suggestive at best and cops dont care about speed at all.

We loved it so much we are going back next year and is our favorite spot we have been that area of the world.
AG Custom
AG
I to found flights for low milage (32K round trip) on United from Houston IAH direct into Grand Cayman Georgetown. Got them about 4 months in advance of trip. Was an easy 2.5 hour flight and simple trip. I had seen a commercial about direct flights there so looked into it and glad that i did.
maroon10
AG
Mind sharing the name of your VRBO?
AG Custom
AG
We stayed at "Cool Change". It is about a mile south of Rum Point. Perfect for 4 people, but also has sleeper sofa so could sleep 6. Very clean inside and out, and no other houses right next to you on either side,so we felt pretty secluded.

Pictures online are pretty accurate, however they have updated the family room furniture and is decently comfortable. Also hard to tell but the house is about 15' elevation above the water line, so you walk downhill in the sand to where the beach flattens out. They have chairs down there and had a kayak to use.
nosoupforyou
AG
this it?

https://www.vrbo.com/3827314ha
nosoupforyou
AG
32,000 miles round trip is great! 192,000 for my family of 6 so it matters to get the super saver option

was this through United Mileage Plus website?
or through Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards website?
or something else?
AG Custom
AG
Yes that is the link to the place that we stayed.

I got it through United website, just search using Miles.

I transfer all my miles from Chase business card to my United miles account when i am booking with them.

They do charge $50/person booking fee for international but still much less than cost of normal tickets.
nosoupforyou
AG
Ticket prices - I found some 17,500 point super saver options for Grand Cayman - nice!!

Put in the dates and - it will charge me over $500 in fees! usually it's $20 in fees -this is crazy....

6 adults (18-64)$90.11/person
September 11th Security Fee
$5.60
Cayman Islands Security Tax
$13.13
Cayman Islands Terminal Fee
$1.25
U.S. Immigration User Fee
$7.00
Cayman Islands Departure Tax
$37.50
U.S. Customs User Fee
$5.77
U.S. APHIS User Fee
$3.96
Cayman Islands Passenger Service Charge
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.