Grand Cayman

2,299 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by lil99chris
lil99chris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading out there in a few weeks. Any recommendations?

Is it worth renting a car?
aeroag14
AG
Where are you staying/what type of things do you like to do?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We rented a car for 7 days, but really only used it to go to Hell and the Turtle Farm. We stayed at the Westin. I'd probably get it for 1 or 2 days but no more.
Texas Ag Mom
We stayed a week on north 7MB. Used the car every day.
lil99chris
AG
Staying at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort. We enjoy hiking, snorkeling, touristy attractions, and good restaurants.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Do you plan on drinking? The reason we didn't drive most of the time is because we like to maintain a steady buzz on, so driving was no, and I was even more conservative because you drive on the left side and most of the rental were standard transmissions. We took cabs everywhere
lil99chris
AG
I do not drink. My wife does on occassion.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We are mid 30s, but we also avoid going from buzzed to drunk most of the time, and make an effort to stay hydrated. Legal limit is .1 in Cayman which is higher that Texas, but I can't imagine attempting a traffic circle, driving on the left, and shifting with my left hand at any level of buzz. That being said if you aren't going to drink or you are going to have a sober driver, the rental car only cost $199 for all 7 days.
I Play With Guns
S
Like I've told many on this board, eat at Chicken! Chicken!
aeroag14
AG
lil99chris said:

Staying at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort. We enjoy hiking, snorkeling, touristy attractions, and good restaurants.

I would probably suggest renting a car if you like getting out and doing things.

Ok so for touristy stuff to go do here would be a good list:

1) Diving if you are certified. Cayman is a top 3 island in the Caribbean for diving.

2) Snorkeling. There are a ton of outfits that do snorkeling trips. Some are bigger than others and get busy when the cruise ships come in.

3) Stingray city. This is the most famous attraction on the island. A bunch of outfits that take people out do a tour where you snorkel and then head to stingray city. Definitely a must see

4) Go into Georgetown. Its a cool little town imo.

5) Go to the turtle farm. I haven't actually ever been but my sister and mom enjoyed it.

6) Drive over to the east end or to Rum point. There are some cool views at rum point, but it is a surprisingly long drive for a small island. Worth it in my book.

Now to restaurants.

1) Casanovas is by far my favorite restaurant on the island. Nice atmosphere on the water in Georgetown and very good Italian food for a relatively reasonable price.

2) Deckers is good and a little nicer than most on this list but a bit overpriced in my book.

3) Lone Star Bar and Grill is pretty good. More casual and they have a good selection. Apparently used to be owned by an Aggie but has since been sold.

4) Coconut Joes is another pretty good casual place that we usually end up at some point in the trip. Outdoor seating with a good selection on the menu.'

5) Eats caf is right across the street from the Westin and is a decent cheaper option as well.

6) Calico Jacks is a fun beach bar on the public beach on 7 mile beach. I haven't ever had any food but it is a fun spot to grab a rum drink and hang out on the beach.

7) And lastly, Chicken Chicken! is a good lunch spot.
Build It
AG
Never come back. It's the greatest place on earth. The hotel will set you up with any transportation you desire. I recommend this as the local guy driver will tell you the restraunts they go to not the the tourist ones ( which are also good).
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Eats is awesome and usually you can get a free boat ride to rum point if you have dinner at the restaurant,

Another vote for turtle farm but skip swimming with them, it's like swimming in a big aquarium
LondonAg89
AG
Calypso Grill is a great restaurant. Good seafood and the best sticky toffee pudding you'll ever try.
lil99chris
AG
Glad to hear.........heading out tomorrow morning!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.