Against reason...

42,785 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wessimo
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HollywoodBQ said:

In my uncle's case, the marriage lasted about a decade before she figured out that he didn't really have any money and split.
Sounds like he got some good mileage out of it. That's really about all you can ask for.

Still say tell the old man to put his nest egg in an annuity and have at it.
wessimo
AG
Yeesh, this sounds less like a mail order bride situation and more like a straight up scam.

Time for a family intervention?
wessimo
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Read this article.

This sounds like exactly what is going on.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Isn't the fact that he has to pay for emails a red flag to him? Maybe explain that to him.
Texas Ag Mom
This sounds like a really bad idea. My dad just turned 82 & is lonely as well. He is currently in very good health & mentally stable. A few years ago we agreed that I would place all of his cash in an ccount in my name. He doesn't have access to the money. He has a checking account that he keeps 8-10K in & if he were to need more I can transfer cash to him. We did this to be proactive to preventing a situation just like this. He is online chatting w/women & he has been married 3 times. I just don't need any more drama! My dad left a month ago to drive to Alaska by himself. I wasn't actually loving this idea but he has been there before & we are checking on him every couple of days. At this point I feel like I gotta make some compromises so Alaska it is.
CDub06
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Read this article.
He needs to read this article ASAP. I hope it's possible to change his mind.
schmendeler
AG
sawemoffshort85 said:

Sounds like most see things the way I do.

He has talked to her via email and video chat- at exorbitant rates. He pays through the nose for all communication. Seriously, I think he's paying about $100 per email and several hundred per chat. I have no idea what the personal visit is going to cost him, but I'm guessing in the thousands.

The plan, as I understand it, is that he will be picked up at the airport by limo and driven to a hotel.

I'm more than a little concerned. This man has flown maybe 10 times in his 70+ years. He has never flown internationally.

I really have a bad feeling about this, and he's so hardheaded to see any danger.
sounds like he's desperate for some lovin'. definitely not thinking straight. T&P for your inheritance.
LSB_2002
AG
All seems legit to me!
Quinn
AG
Watchlisted.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol holy *****

In
wessimo
AG
Have you talked him out of it yet?? Need updates!
suburban cowboy
AG
In
Player To Be Named Later
AG
This is what happens when the Travel Forum becomes the Outdoors Forum
dcAg
I have a friend that used to go to Ukraine for ladies. No luck and cost $$$.

Waste of time.
sawemoffshort85
Update...

II had a nice, long discussion with my FIL this past Sunday afternoon. I started by asking him to read the article posted on here. He actually did read the whole article. When he finished, he nodded and said something to the effect of "I get it". I explained to him that the family, and especially his daughters, are past worrying to the point of preparing themselves to get a call from the State Department. He insists that he is not going into this thing with "starts in his eyes". I told him that I disagreed.

He told me that he has been communicating with her for about 9 months now. I really think that's the issue, He's so far into this that he is insistent on seeing it through. He didn't bat an eye when I told him he may be parted with $20,000+ to "see it through". A cheap roundtrip ticket is about $2,000. He realizes that and said that if things got sideways, he'd head for the airport.

I did mange to agree to some safety measures: trip insurance, a phone call to the State Department to let them know where he will be, a cell phone with an international package and a hold on his bank accounts that only his daughters have access to.

If everything goes as planned, he will be leaving mid-July. I'll keep posting.
Vernada
AG
oh goodness... at least you tried.

I hate that the best case here is probably going to be 'told you so'.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At $100 a pop, I hope he's able to climax every time he hits "send" on an email.
wessimo
AG
I hope he actually gets to see her when he goes there instead of getting ghosted like the dudes in the article.

Either way this is sad. Sucks to be lonely.
Spore Ag
One fact is Russian woman which I suspect would parallel Ukraine woman, are survivors and will do almost anything to improve their lives.
Went through the Crimea and I must say the ladies in Odessa and Yalta were some of the best lookers I have seen in one area.
sawemoffshort85
The wheels have been set in motion - my wife bought his ticket on Friday. About $1,800 including travel insurance. I believe that he flies out on 7/18.
Quinn
AG
Have you booked your flight to go rescue him for the 19th or will you give him a full week of fun?
Vernada
AG
sad
JMac03
AG
In all seriousness, I will pray for his safety while he is there and safe return.
Matsui
Tabasco
AG
Interested in seeing how this pans out
YouBet
AG
I don't understand why he's paying $100 to send an email?
Vernada
AG
YouBet said:

He's lonely and horny.
FriendlyAg
YouBet said:

Are you male or female? If you're female, I know why you don't understand. If you're male and goodlooking, realize that the attention you get is not what ugly/not confident/not successful guys get.
YouBet
AG
FriendlyAg said:

YouBet said:

Are you male or female? If you're female, I know why you don't understand. If you're male and goodlooking, realize that the attention you get is not what ugly/not confident/not successful guys get.

Ok. I'm male. So these women then are just saying send me $100 first and then I'll reply?

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics here. I don't do social media anymore and have no need to buy a girl.
wessimo
AG
Read the article linked in this thread, it explains the scam.
FriendlyAg
YouBet said:

FriendlyAg said:

YouBet said:

Ok. I'm male. So these women then are just saying send me $100 first and then I'll reply?

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics here. I don't do social media anymore and have no need to buy a girl.

But if a guy can convince himself he's not "buying" a girl but he's "saving" her and enriching her life buy bringing her to a much wealthier country.

All men, regardless of age and looks like to feel like the hero and like to feel desired.

The less desired you are the more you crave it and would require more effort to feel desired.
double aught
AG
This is interesting. I hope it works out for him, whatever that may be.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I had a coworker that did this. He ended up making several trips back to ukraine, and he eventually brought her back to the US to marry. A couple months after they were living in the states together, he was "randomly" jumped and severely beaten. He was in a medically induced coma for several weeks. He never suspected his bride to be, but it always seemed too coincidental to me. As far as I know, they are happily married now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Wow. Should be an interesting follow up.
sawemoffshort85
Tickets purchased, Airline reservations confirmed, hotel reservation confirmed. Departure 08 hundred tomorrow. She emailed this morning that she would not be available now until late September. He was very disappointed, particularly that he had to give up about $1,000 worth of non-refundable airline ticket but all for the better. He was obviously disappointed and thought his daughters would be happy with the I told you so. They were not. They were glad that he made that decision though. As far as the relationship, he says they're done. No more expensive calls or emails. We tried to encourage him that he should go on a cruise or a group trip through a travel agency I think he would have a great time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.