South Fork Colorado

1,447 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SbisaVictim95
SLF11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be traveling to South Fork Colorado the first week in June where my parents, adult sisters and myself will be renting a house on the river. My dad grew up going there and wants to reinstitute this tradition for our generation.

We don't have anything hard and fast planned - because we know nothing of the area - but have fly rods, stand ready to go on a good hike, and are open to interesting destinations (breweries, restaurants, bars) as well.

Does anyone have recommendations on to-do items in this general area of CO?

Thanks!

CBarrett12
AG
Following. Will be there 2nd week of June as well and never been.
rrtodds
AG
We've had a log cabin there for about 35 years. Suggestions: Three Barrel Brewing Co in Del Norte is a fun place...inside or outside seating (you can't miss it..on the main road); Ramon's in South Fork...they have a fun patio in the back; Kipp's in Creede..live music & great menu; Creede Repertory Theatre..downtown Creede 1930s restored theatre bldg...https://creederep.org/; Lots of fun activities in Creede & Pagosa; Bingo at the community center in South Fork is a great family activity. So much to do...kick back & enjoy!
rrtodds
AG
Two weeks ago the river was high & running fast. Lots of options for kayaking & rafting. There are open ATV rides with locals every week...you can rent ATVs in town & get the info on the rides. The Silver Threaders group in South Fork hosts hikes each week. Check at the Visitors Center at the Y in town. Gotta do your grocery shopping at Rainbow Grocery! There is a fun new coffee shop: Tiny Timbers Coffee Bistro..great atmosphere:https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Coffee-Shop/Tiny-Timbers-Coffee-Bistro-272483853613548/. Gotta grab a burger & shake at the Malt Shop in front of the fire station in South Fork...& a hot dog at The Best Little Dog House in Creede!
MAROON
AG
I know Creede better than South Fork.

Dinner at Antlers on the Rio Grande near Creede.

Lunch at Freemon's General Store (near Rio Grande Reservoir) for a great burger.

Fly fishing in the area is great. Of course you have the Rio Grande, but you also have miles of little brookie streams. Rita Hondo Creek above Rita Hondo Reservoir is loaded with Brookies, as is the Rambouillet Creek. Those are just two of hundreds of great little spots near Creede.

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Agree with everyone about Creede, great little town with shops and food/drinks!
We enjoyed Kipp's a lot!

We also stopped in Del Norte at Three Barrel Brewing and that was fun!

If you fly fish I can't wait to hear about it! I'm looking to book something similar soon!

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
SLF11
AG
Thanks for the recommendations thus far!
CanyonAg77
AG
Drive an hour down to Antonito and ride the Cumbres and Toltec
rrtodds
AG
That drive would be 1.5 from SF ... 2 hrs from Creede.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry, misread Google Maps
SbisaVictim95
AG
Creede is a neat little town. Kipp's is good as everyone has said... the pizza place (forget the name) is also really good. We stopped at a neat little brew-pub in Pagosa Springs in an old house - Riff Raff Brewing. The food was good and the hatch chile beer was awesome! Took a can to go and it went amazing with the elk and bison steaks we grilled later in the week.

Last summer we booked an ATV tour with Mountain Skillz and it was awesome. Matt, the owner and our guide, took us too the top of the Continental Divide, showed us a bunch of different mines and gave us great info. He does snow mobile tours in the winter but the ATV tour was a blast.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.