Best Travel route from Austin to Amarillo

2,774 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffer_2000
jeffer_2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going on family vacation this spring break to Colorado, leaving after work on Friday afternoon and planning to drive to Amarillo that night. Over the years I've typically taken 183 to Lampasas and cross country, rural driving thru Brownwood- Sweetwater-Lubbock-Amarillo, but wondering if taking I35 to Ft Worth and then 287 to Amarillo would be faster. GPS maps compares to the two very closely, within 10 minutes. Looking for suggestions which route others take and have been the best experience. Thanks
Austintm
I have done both ways (the Brownwood/Sweetwater route several times, 287 once). I don't know why, but I like the Brownwwod/Coleman/Sweetwater route better
Vernada
AG
The I35 to 287 could be a bit faster. Or effin terrible. Take the more relaxing route.
CanyonAg77
AG
Given the construction between Temple and Waco, I would never take I-35. All it takes is one wreck, anywhere between Austin and Decatur and you're hosed.
stardustag
AG
Friday afternoon traffic on I35 always seems terrible between Austin and D/FW.... I would avoid it if you can.
jeffer_2000
Thanks for the responses, I tend to think the same way. Even though I 35 can really be fast if you hit it perfectly, there is a lot of risk/reward with that route. Leaving on Friday afternoon is what makes me worry about that route the most.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.