Christmas vacation ideas (skiing or Disney?)

3,653 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JustPanda
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife wants our family to take a Christmas vacation this year. Her initial idea was to go to Disney World but she's now interested in a ski trip.

I'm interested in keeping everyone happy.

We're < 40 y/o and have two daughters < 12 y/o.

Reading the threads on here from this past winter, snow that early in the season could really be hit or miss. She's eyeing spots in New Mexico and Colorado (Taos, Angelfire, Durango, Breckenridge, Aspen, etc.). We would drive from Central Texas and the trip would occur the week between Christmas and New Year.

Does anyone have any sage advice or experience with a Christmas ski or Disney trip?
Post removed:
by user
The Lost
Have y'all skied before? If no, breck hands down. Will have good snow (comparably), good for beginners, and a nice little town to do other things in.
dodger02
AG
I'm a total newb and not really incredibly interested in skiing. My wife has been before. The kids haven't.

So, we're first-timers.
ColoradoMooseHerd
dodger02 said:

I'm a total newb and not really incredibly interested in skiing. My wife has been before. The kids haven't.

So, we're first-timers.
You are not interested because you don't know how to and unfamiliar with the experience. Wait until you start connecting some turns........ You will be addicted and will want to go skiing every year.
Texmid
AG
Stay home, invite your relatives over, eat, drink, be miserable, and decorate your house with lots of Christmas lights.
JMac03
AG
If you are going when kids aren't in school, Disney will be extremely crowded. This may not bother you, but just know it will be.

If you have passports, maybe look at Banff? I haven't been skiing since I was 18, but I am looking at booking Banff for another couple, and it looks like their season starts mid-Novemberish.
malenurse
AG
JMac07 said:

If you are going when kids aren't in school, Disney will be extremely crowded. This may not bother you, but just know it will be.

If you have passports, maybe look at Banff? I haven't been skiing since I was 18, but I am looking at booking Banff for another couple, and it looks like their season starts mid-Novemberish.
This is the correct answer right here. Flights into Calgary are surprisingly cheap. Bus to Banff or rent a car. Easy drive. Spectacular scenery and great snow.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I didn't read much of the discussion, but the answer is Whistler.
lil99chris
AG
We go to Breck and WDW quite a bit. I would suggest going skiing due to the crowds at WDW and the experience of going skiing for first time. You are also close (or have passed) the 180 day window for dining reservations at WDW.

The biggest expense for skiing is gear. If you have friends/family offering to let you borrow their gear, I would take them up on their offer. You will save a few bucks and if you like skiing, you can get gear the next time around.

Like others have said, Breck is a great place for a beginner. They have plenty of greens and the ski school instructors are good. There are plenty of great places to eat and the town is nice.
AggieDave02
AG
If you really want Disney related trip, maybe look into a Disney cruise.
JMac03
AG
AggieDave02 said:

And there are Disney cruises out of Galveston Nov-beginning of Jan. We went on one this Jan. It was great, just wished we had done longer.
SwissAgg
AG
Skiing in Europe would be wonderful at Xmas.
dodger02
AG
Right?

That's not in the cards this year. I have family throughout Bavaria, however, and we'll get there some day soon.

I also have my eyes on London. But, I digress...

Looks like the missus and I have some things to discuss tonight.
JMac03
AG
SwissAgg said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever stayed at any of the Club Meds over there? I know they have them in Italy, France and Switzerland. From training I know they are all-inclusive. I've not found anyone who has visited any over there.
10andBOUNCE
AG
If everyone is beginner level, I would think the snow would be adequate in places like Breckenridge and Keystone. Many of the beginner trails are also supplemented with snow makers. It is the intermediate/advanced terrain that sometimes can be iffy that early on. I think the crowds are the main issue, but that is going to be anywhere during Christmas. I would definitely go skiing over Disney and would stick to the Breck/Keystone area.
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
JMac07 said:

AggieDave02 said:

And there are Disney cruises out of Galveston Nov-beginning of Jan. We went on one this Jan. It was great, just wished we had done longer.

Came here to recommend this. We've done Disney cruises out of Galveston for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would take that 100/100 times over the insane crowds at Disney World between Christmas and New Years.

I will offer one caveat, though - the Gulf is ROUGH during Nov-Dec. something like 1/2 the people on our cruise got seasick. Even the crew was surprised by how rough it was. Even I got seasick on our second cruise - and I lived on a boat for several years as a kid.
JMac03
AG
It was very rough in Jan too. I think part of it is Disney is smaller ships so they are more susceptible to the waves than the after Royal or Carnival ships are. My inlaws and parents said it had never been that bad on ships they had been on.
SwissAgg
AG
JMac07 said:

SwissAgg said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever stayed at any of the Club Meds over there? I know they have them in Italy, France and Switzerland. From training I know they are all-inclusive. I've not found anyone who has visited any over there.
No. I wasn't aware of any to be honest. I looked at the website, and there is one in St. Moritz, which

is expensive. The rest seem to be in France.
SwissAgg
AG
dodger02 said:

Right?

That's not in the cards this year. I have family throughout Bavaria, however, and we'll get there some day soon.

I also have my eyes on London. But, I digress...

Looks like the missus and I have some things to discuss tonight.
Maybe some other year. Xmas is certainly special here.
JMac03
AG
SwissAgg said:

JMac07 said:

SwissAgg said:

No. I wasn't aware of any to be honest. I looked at the website, and there is one in St. Moritz, which

is expensive. The rest seem to be in France.
There are 2 in Switzerland, 3 in Italy and quite a few in France. Yes they are pricier, but some resorts are cheaper, it is based on if it's a 3,4 or 5 Trident (stars). But it also includes everything - food, drinks and all skiing and other activities. Equipment, lifts and anything else needed is included. I've been wanting input of someone who has been.
dodger02
AG
What's the general consensus regarding a VRBO/HomeAway in a place like Breckenridge vs. one of the large ski lodges?

I'm seeing lots of 1 and 2-bedroom VRBOs within a block or two of downtown and the ski lifts for a couple hundred bucks less per night than a room at a ski lodge.
Potato, potato.
Bassmaster
AG
We did it in Keystone last winter with 2 kids. Worked out great.
The Lost
dodger02 said:

What's the general consensus regarding a VRBO/HomeAway in a place like Breckenridge vs. one of the large ski lodges?

I'm seeing lots of 1 and 2-bedroom VRBOs within a block or two of downtown and the ski lifts for a couple hundred bucks less per night than a room at a ski lodge.
Depends on who you're with imo. Young kids or older people may be harder on transporting everything but the bus system is good as well. I've had friends come and we've vrbo'd in dillon because one came with 2 ski passes for breck/keystone/abasin so that alone made it worth the further drive. plus we wanted to go to several mountains when they were here.

Its definitely the cost effective way to go and not a bad idea.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Christmas Markets in Europe are amazing, pair that with the cold weather you expect and wow what a Christmas. We did Edinburgh last year
dodger02
AG
Thanks for the confirmation. We get around well and the kids are pretty adventurous. We like the independence a VRBO offers. Only reason I could see to get a room at a big resort is if they offered some discounts on lift tickets, equipment, lessons, etc. that made the total cost of the trip more palatable. In my quick research, I don't see where those benefits are big enough so we're leaning VRBO.

But, damn. Equipment rentals, lift tickets, lessons, etc. ain't cheap. Couple that with my wife wanting to load up on clothing for her and the girls... Yowzers. Oh, well. YOLO
Potato, potato.
lil99chris
AG
Haha....send me a message if you want to check Disney pricing. There are places you can rent ski gear.
mpreisler
AG
Can anyone advise which peaks are best for young kids in Breck? Looking at going after Christmas this year and booking a ski-in ski-out situation. We will have kids ranging from 1 - 9 plus grandparents so we are looking at something close to the mountain so someone can stay with the little ones while other ski and the grand parents who aren't skiing can be close to watch the older kids ski.
lil99chris
AG
With kids, I would stick to Peak 9. Once they are comfortable with skiing, Peak 8 & 9 will be the best options. There is plenty of terrain to cover. Most of the blues are not too difficult in Breck.

In regards to grandparents observing, there is a bar/restaurant area at the base of Peak 9 where you can see skiers. This area is also where a ski school is located. If you are looking for good ski in/ski out lodging......I prefer Grand Colorado (Peak 8) or Grand Lodge (Peak 7 & Peak 8).

https://www.breckenridge.com/the-mountain/about-the-mountain/trail-map.aspx
dodger02
AG
Thoughts on Copper Mountain vs. Breckenridge? Wife found Copper last night while researching.
Potato, potato.
Fairview
AG
Breck is way nicer than Copper Mountain. Nothing wrong with Copper (my son is there today with some friends doing summer activities) but they are really different.

Another thing to consider now when choosing a place to stay is that Uber Ski is gaining a lot of traction around here (I live by Vail). If you want to save some money by not staying slope side that makes things a lot easier. I will say that being ski in /ski out is preferable and Uber Ski is still pretty new but its something to consider.
The Lost
dodger02 said:

Thoughts on Copper Mountain vs. Breckenridge? Wife found Copper last night while researching.

Good mountain, great terrain for beginners, just no town like breck. Any other activities would be a drive.

Not sure how pricing will change with it now a part of the ikon pass (rip rmsp+) but in the past a day there was always cheaper than an epic resort between lift tickets/on mountain food etc, but with that not quite as shiny either.

Because of the pass situation (Winter Park is closest also on it) and it's location, I think of it as more of a locals place. I'm sure people do vacation there for extended times, it's just not as convenient as breck/keystone.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Keystone has free parking and wagons to transport all your gear to the lifts. Makes it very easy to stay off the mountain but not kill your self getting there. Either stay at the mountain at Breck for $$$$ or save extra offsite and going to Keystone. Either is a great option, depending on what you prefer.
NoahAg
dodger02 said:

Copper, Breck, and Arapahoe Basin are all great. Like The Lost said, Breck has the town. As far as the skiing goes, beginners wouldn't know the difference. I don't know what prices are these days, but A-Basin should be the cheapest. It's also smaller, but again, that wouldn't matter for 1st time skiers.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.