Christmas vacation ideas (skiing or Disney?)

3,780 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JustPanda
duck79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soup alluded to it earlier but I'd recommend Colorado over NM that time of the year. We used to own a place in Angelfire and it was hit or miss how much of the mountain would be open in December.
10andBOUNCE
AG
ABasin isn't for beginners
Blackstreet
AG
We've done Disneyland for Christmas and skiing in Breck. I highly recommend skiing at Breck if you have never done this. One of the best trips we have had as a family. As many have said, the town is also great. We did go to Keystone for a half day for tubing and looked like a neat place as well. I would predict you will enjoy either one as will your kids. Whichever you pick, take mental pictures and realize that what you are doing will never happen again if you know what I mean.
Harry Stone
AG
Do. Not. Go. To. Disney. Crowds are ridiculous.
GrayMatter
AG
Harry Stone said:

Do. Not. Go. To. Disney. Crowds are ridiculous.
This!

I love Disney, but I'd choose skiing hands down.
Always_Right
AG
Go to NYC, amazing that time of year!
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Don't know much about Copper but I'd imagine it would be much more affordable. If y'all go to Breck I'm sure you'd love it, but it is likely one of the 5 most expensive places to take a ski trip to in the country (as it seems like you've already discovered).
ColoradoMooseHerd
Breckenridge is not that expensive. Definitely not near as expensive as Vail, Aspen or Beaver Creek unless you are only talking lift tickets.
aggiedata
AG
Just a note: Breckenridge is very high in altitude compared to many ski towns. For someone who hasn't gone skiing before, this may or may not be a problem. I can tell you for sea level me, it's a big problem. I was miserable at 9,600 feet. I did much better in Jackson, WY. (6,200 feet)

Also family skiing vacations will test the patience of Job. just my opinion.
dcAg
Aspen/Snowmass is great for families and beginners. Snowmass is a very large mountain for all skills of skiing. Tiehack/Buttermilk (15 minute drive from Snowmass) is a great green/blue trail mountain. The thing I like is there are fewer weekend skiers here than those mountains closer to Denver.

Snowmass is where my kids learned how to ski.

If you think about flying somewhere then go to Park City. 3 mountains and at Deer Valley they dont allow snow boarders. We skied Park City as well. Great town, easy to get to and variety.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
dcAg said:

If you think about flying somewhere then go to Park City. 3 mountains and at Deer Valley they dont allow snow boarders. We skied Park City as well. Great town, easy to get to and variety.

We just got back from a week in Park City. I've been four times in winter and this was my first summer trip.

Hell of a time, very cool town, and very good skiing.
rondis23
AG
I've done both during December. The only reason to go to Disney would be if you are to go the week before Christmas...or any other week in Early December prior to all the kids getting out of school. These days will be some of the lightest crowd days the Disney parks will have all year. We have literally been able to ride every ride multiple times and get back on with little to no wait. However, if your travel falls on Christmas...go to Keystone/Breck! These are severely crowded days at Disney.
JustPanda
AG
Breckenfridge is one of the worst mountains in CO. No idea why Texans think it's the cat's pajamas....

Beaver creek or Vail if you're going to go to an I-70 corridor hill, but they usually are hit or miss around Christmas. The best time for them is usually middle of Feb.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.