Where is the snow for skiing

16,643 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HECUBUS
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also terrible trip not because of snow. J got the dlu driving down p got it that night. B. Got it on wed. And mother got it on wed night and she had it very bad still sick today. About 1000 dollars wasted on ski rentals and lift tickets. But I di sell 3 adults and one child lift tickets for 100 dollars to a guy in the line when i dropped the boys off. What a deal wish i could have found an aggie would have given it to them
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
How was Loveland snow? Looks better than everyone else but that's not saying much unfortunately.
Stive
AG
We've been at Monarch for 2 days. They've got about 75% of the mountain open but the base, even on the north facing slopes is really thin. What they did have has been thinned down by the wind since Saturday which has been crazy. Good thing, there's less crowds than normal and even their normal crowd is small. Bad thing, you hit some grass, gravel, and dirt on almost every run.
Jock 07
AG
I've gotten more off the groomed stuff the past few days at keystone and found all the rocks, it's really thin in a lot of spots. And the groomed stuff is turning icy like the keystone I remember
MAS444
AG
There's a comment on Onthesnow.com - Telluride that says the mountain may close if they don't get a lot of snow by later this month. Any chance this is true? Surely not...?
Pahdz
MAS444 said:

There's a comment on Onthesnow.com - Telluride that says the mountain may close if they don't get a lot of snow by later this month. Any chance this is true? Surely not...?

And what if they get dumped on in February and miss out on that...I can't believe they'd do that
MAS444
AG
Open back up then? I don't know. That's why I asked.
Pahdz
I guess that's an option, but the logistics of that I would think would be nightmarish. I would assume many workers are seasonal and some not local.

Wasn't talking down to you just tossing in my .02.
MAS444
AG
Yeah...I agree with you. Would be crazy if true.
Kyle04
AG
I'm currently at Jackson Hole. The mountain is one big block of ice. The entire mountain is open, but straight ice. Scattered bare spots on the groomers and off trail still has a lot of exposed rocks.

Ice, steep runs and snowboarding don't mix. I'm in survival mode on the mountain trying not to kill myself. We're gonna try Grand Targhee. Even the ski instructors recommended we try it out there.

What the F happened to all the snow from last week?
TommyGun
AG
Kyle04 said:

I'm currently at Jackson Hole. The mountain is one big block of ice. The entire mountain is open, but straight ice. Scattered bare spots on the groomers and off trail still has a lot of exposed rocks.

Ice, steep runs and snowboarding don't mix. I'm in survival mode on the mountain trying not to kill myself. We're gonna try Grand Targhee. Even the ski instructors recommended we try it out there.

What the F happened to all the snow from last week?

It got tracked out and blown out over the weekend with the high winds and negative temps. Jackson can go through some crazy temperature swings and the mountain can become stone cold really quick after the wind has ripped of the top layer of snow. Sun and warmer temps can soften it up and of course new snow is always the ticket. The rest of the week looks better on the forecast. Your best bet is to get in the trees to find softer snow. The NE face of Apres Vous seems to always have some leftover powder when everything else is iced up or tracked out.
MAS444
AG
7" overnight in telluride . Possible big snow on Wednesday too.
FlyFish95
Heading to Park City tomorrow. Supposed to snow tonight through Thursday and it needs it. I've never been to PC when so few runs were open. 74 of 348 trails open. Sheesh!
aeroag14
AG
MAS444 said:

7" overnight in telluride . Possible big snow on Wednesday too.

Yeah the two week forecast (yeah I know, 2 week forecasts aren't great) looks pretty good for Telluride.

We are headed up there in mid feb. If it does pick up over the next few weeks, could be pretty decent conditions by the time we get up there!
drumboy
AG
Snow was better than I expected in Steamboat. There were a few closed trails but everything was mostly open.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
RebelE91
AG
Headed to Telluride in a couple weeks for a long weekend with my 12 yo son. Getting a little excited given the snow forecast for tomorrow and later next week. Since he's a relative beginner I'm hoping they can get more blues and greens opened. We'll see.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Has been raining non-stop for 24 hours here in Northern California and will be raining probably for another day. The storm is real and moving east.
Kyle04
AG
It's great to hear Telluride is coming back to life.

Lift 10 isn't open yet. Hopefully it opens soon... it has some great LONG green runs for beginners & kids. Plus there's a fun beginner park at the top of 10
ColoradoMooseHerd
Northern California is just too warm for the snow, it is raining instead.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Colorado Resorts should be getting 6-12 inches the next couple of days, not huge but some is coming
BoDog
AG
Any updates from Tahoe?
coop-aero-06
AG
BoDog said:

Any updates from Tahoe?

Here's a pretty thorough report. I would post some of the highlights but I'm on mobile.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe
ColoradoMooseHerd
BoDog said:

Any updates from Tahoe?
I said Northern California, but meant Tahoe. Too warm here, lots of precipitation but Rain not snow
TriAg2010
AG
SoCal finally got a few inches of snow. First of the season. I was skiing Bear Mountain over New Year's and it was all snowmaking. It was bizzare riding the lifts with zero snow in sight.
aeroag14
AG
Looks like 16+ inches at Telluride over the last 36-48 hours!

I will take that! Need a few more of those storms to roll through to really get the mountain going
Post removed:
by user
cplatt
Jackson Hole has had 14" in last two days and more coming down currently
coop-aero-06
AG
Things are starting to look better for Lake Tahoe with a possible weather pattern change from January 15 - 20th. The last storm had snow levels of 8,000 ft, but this next system should have snow levels down to 5,000 ft.

https://snowbrains.com/noaa-major-pattern-change-to-california-next-week-potent-series-storms-possible/

Quote:

Tahoe and Mammoth really need this pattern change to come. California is currently sitting on a 25% of average snowpack and this series of storms appears to have the potential to completely change the game around here!
3rdGenAg05
AG
+1 on the Park City report. Looks like they've opened about a third of the trails now. We're headed there in a month.
FlyFish95
SoupNazi2001 said:

DryFly said:

Heading to Park City tomorrow. Supposed to snow tonight through Thursday and it needs it. I've never been to PC when so few runs were open. 74 of 348 trails open. Sheesh!
Let me know how Park City was. Went there last February and it was great. Supposed to go again late this February which hopefully it will get more snow between now and then but who knows, this year has defied logic so far. Looks like they at least go 10 inches over the last 3 days.

It was actually pretty decent. We were there this past Tuesday through Sunday. It snowed an inch or two each night except for the last night. A lot of the old PC and the Canyons was closed when we got there, but things started to open up by Thursday. Pioneer and Eagle lifts were the only things in old PC that were closed when we left on the PC side. A lot of the Canyons was open before we left. Conditions were packed powder which I don't mind skiing at all.
aggie_wes
AG
Flying up to Salt Lake tonight. Going to ski either Park City or Deer Valley depending on the snow. I'm thinking Deer Valley has more snow but we'll see.
FlyFish95
aggie_wes said:

Flying up to Salt Lake tonight. Going to ski either Park City or Deer Valley depending on the snow. I'm thinking Deer Valley has more snow but we'll see.
Up to this point the word has been that DV has been better.
10andBOUNCE
AG
12 inches of fresh pow at Keystone today. Great day.
mneisch
AG
Skied Wolf Creek on Sunday when they had 23" of powder. Fantastic day and no lift lines. Fresh tracks all day.
aggie_wes
AG
Deer valley had pretty decent groomers. Not much cover on the bowls or anything off piste.

Of course they got 10+" of snow the day after I left so that may have all changed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.