Best College Towns in the Western US to Retire

13,934 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mpl35
mpl35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gabster43213 said:

So down on Flagstaff? Any other recs?
I wouldn't say "down". Just be aware of the pros and cons.

My short list of towns when I was looking for a place to live (still with a kid) that I looked at:
Boise
Bend
Medford
Pullman
Carson City
Tucson
St. George
Fort Collins
College Station
Missoula
Jackson WY
Park City
Las Cruces
Durango
Hood River

Settled on Fort Collins. But retirement, I'd give up the big airport and take cheaper land prices. Or snow bird in the winter.
jammer262
Flagstaff is pretty, but does not meet the major airport requirement.

Been awhile since I read through the whole thread, as Vegas / Henderson NV been mentioned? Tics off most all the boxes.

I forgot to add in my 1st post, I lived between Durango and Aztec NM for a year. I loved the area, but as far as your criteria goes, it's pretty blue politic wise, and the airport there is pretty worthless. I ended up driving 3.5 hours to ABQ for flights.
Gabster43213
Very Few people have mentioned ABQ. Any reason why?
ColoradoMooseHerd
In my opinion, Albuquerque is a dump
Potcake
AG
Awesome food.
mpl35
AG
I like ABQ ok. Been a few times for work but never lived there long term. It is a bit trashier than many places I've been. I'd consider many of the places discussed in this thread before ABQ.
CanyonAg77
AG
ABQ is a huge city, I suspect it matters what part of town you're in. A lot of people actually live across the pass in Edgewood or Moriarity.
William_C_G
AG
Lots of great Western college towns already mentioned. I would add Moab, UT; Chico, CA; and Fresno, CA.
ColoradoMooseHerd
William_C_G said:

Lots of great Western college towns already mentioned. I would add Moab, UT; Chico, CA; and Fresno, CA.
Fresno? No way

Chico? Great town, but it is California. No way you want to retire in California and deal with the taxes. I live here now and love it, but will be retiring in a different state.
Retired Principal
AG
How about Golden, CO. We passed through on way back from skiing. Thought it was a pretty cool town.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Lived in Golden Area for awhile, but would not consider it a separate town, it is really just part of the Denver Metro area. Golden is more touristy than it is a college town. IMO
smucket
AG
Just read through this thread for the first time...

One town I didn't notice anyone mention is Denton Tx. Great music school, far enough away that it's not Dallas but an hour or so from DFW and Love Field, plus close to Lake Texoma and some nice getaway spots in southern Oklahoma.

Something to consider anyway.
Gabster43213
I really appreciate everyone's input here.

Very little mentions of Laramie. I realize that winters can be harsh. Any other cons or pros? I have not been there in 15 years but know that they have commercial airline service to at least Denver.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I would not recommend Laramie. Very small town without resources that I would want nearby. Laramie is only 30,000 people. Yes it does have a college, but still very small town feel. While it is high elevation, it is really high plains or out on the prairie.

The wind is terrible. If you have not experienced it, cannot describe it. Would never live there. Never.

While it is not far from the Snowy Range, Does not really have the views like Colorado towns do. Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins are right on the Front Range. Laramie is about 30 minutes away.

I think you better visit there a few times, in all seasons to see if you would be at all interested. Also need to meet and see the people. Definitely a different environment than many of the other towns described. Not my type of town.

But the wind alone would kill the deal for me
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey OP, just a thought....

Do you have an RV? If so, I'd pick out two or three possible towns, then go spend a few weeks in each. It might give you a feel for what living there would be like.
mpl35
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I would not recommend Laramie. Very small town without resources that I would want nearby. Laramie is only 30,000 people. Yes it does have a college, but still very small town feel. While it is high elevation, it is really high plains or out on the prairie.

The wind is terrible. If you have not experienced it, cannot describe it. Would never live there. Never.

While it is not far from the Snowy Range, Does not really have the views like Colorado towns do. Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins are right on the Front Range. Laramie is about 30 minutes away.

I think you better visit there a few times, in all seasons to see if you would be at all interested. Also need to meet and see the people. Definitely a different environment than many of the other towns described. Not my type of town.

But the wind alone would kill the deal for me
this times 1000x

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.